Windows 10: RAID 0 Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it 400 GB in 71 min

Discus and support RAID 0 Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it 400 GB in 71 min in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks If you take back ups regularly (and you always should) then using RAID 0 IMO is really well worth it -- speeds up Disks considerably and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Apr 12, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

RAID 0 Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it 400 GB in 71 min

Hi folks

If you take back ups regularly (and you always should) then using RAID 0 IMO is really well worth it -- speeds up Disks considerably and you can add as many as you like to array (min 2).

Of course it's risky because if you lose a disk in the array you lose the lot ! however I always take backup

Here's backing up to an external USB 3 HDD around 400 GB of music saved from BBC R3.

Shouldn't take more than around 40 - 60 Mins !!!! -- speed is varies between 60 - 90 MB/s ( 240 - 360 Mb/s) from HDD (RAID 0 -- 2 X 5 TB HDD's) to a self powered USB 3 passport external HDD.

the limiting factor is the speed of the small pocket sized external WD passport drive -- the poor thing is running at about max on this type of connection --especially as a VM on W10 Host. Running internally you can get speeds of up to around 500 - 600 Mb/s even on old SATA 3 gb/s Mobo connection. Nothing like speeding up I/O - especially on older type systems.

Running actually from a NAS server running as a VM on W10 X64 Pro with latest updates -- not the SCU though.

The CPU is only a modest Intel 2.4 GHZ 2 core celeron -- about equiv to an i3 so no massive CPU needed for decent XFER's.

RAID 0  Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it  400 GB in 71 min [​IMG]

No SSD's involved in this -- with SSD's in RAID 0 I'd imagine the system would fly off the bench !!!! The only concession on the HDD's is that all of them are using Linux XFS native file systems so no NTFS conversions needed via the VM software (Vmware workstation rel 14).

The HDD's seem reliable enough but always worth having backup !!!! especially with RAID 0.

Nearly 60 % done now and only around 25 mins left !!!

Finished 400GB Xfer in 71 Mins !!!!

total size is 430147038575

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 12, 2018

2. Help, features I'm failing with, on an N95 8GB

You may need a new calculator also RAID 0  Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it  400 GB in 71 min ;)

40mins to transfer 1.3G which is less than 400KB/s.

According to my calculator 1.3 GB of data in 40 mins. yields a datarate of ~ 542 KB/s not 400...

Seems low, I get faster speeds.

el_loco---01, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Raid0 restore help

RAID is a collection of techniques to speed up access and to protect it. If you are interested, this wiki goes into detail:

RAID - Wikipedia

Raid 0 is probably the worst possible choice for that drive mix. Raid 0 splits the data across the drives in an effort to speed up retriveval. But it is based on the assumption of similar sized drives and identical technology. But your drives are significantly
    different in data retrieval speeds and size, so mixing them in a Raid 0 pattern is totally illogical. The worst part of this mix is that if you lose a single drive you lose ALL of the data, with no chance of recovery.

BEFORE you do anything, make a full backup of all of your files. Trying to split the drives you stand a very high chance of losing your data and being forced to start over with a clean install of Windows.

Rohn007, Apr 12, 2018
  4. RAID 0 Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it 400 GB in 71 min

On my work desktop I run two Samsung 960 250GB SSDs in RAID 0 and really love the performance. It is totally overkill, but could provide some true uses for those moving a lot of data constantly. For testing, I was reaching 1GB per second writes and reads.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 15, 2018
Thema:

RAID 0 Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it 400 GB in 71 min

1. RAID 0 Risky but for speed absolutely well worth it 400 GB in 71 min - Similar Threads - RAID Risky speed

2. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  3. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  4. Moving from raid 0 to non raid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from raid 0 to non raid: I want to move away from my nvme raid 0 to a non raid nvme without reinstalling. Aomei backupper doesn't work, bsod. Any other solutions? submitted by /u/collins_amber [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l63z0n/moving_from_raid_0_to_non_raid/
  5. creating Raid 0 fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    creating Raid 0 fails: I have 24 HDD. This holiday season, I received four Seagate Exos enterprise X16 16 TB HDD. They connected to my motherboard using SAS . When I try to create a stripped raid with just 2 HDD, Disk Management FAILS. Same result for a two disk pool using Storage Spaces. Help!...
  6. Install Windows on Raid 0

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows on Raid 0: I have an i3-3240 processor, an ASRock H61M-VG3 motherboard and 2 Hitachi HDP725050GLA360G. My question is: what do I need to install Windows on the 2 hdds in Raid 0? And I would like if you can find me what's needed....
  7. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  8. Will Raid 0 work on two Pcie 1x slots for double speed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will Raid 0 work on two Pcie 1x slots for double speed?: Before I buy second pci card & ssd - Have 2 Pcie 1x open slots that bench faster than satalll, but still slow - Will 2 ssd's work in raid 0? Thx gojolo...
  9. Defraggler + SSD raid 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defraggler + SSD raid 0: So i've lived with this for alotta years. Its now on my short list of "things that irk me" to sort out. Ive waited iteration after iteration for piriform to sort it out. I've installed driver after driver for my raid controller. Different versions of windows. The problem...
  10. 400 GB upload to OneDrive failing

in Windows 10 Support
    400 GB upload to OneDrive failing: I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 forum question or a OneDrive forum question. I have about 400 GB on a drive on my PC stored as J:>Music>Lossless>Artist>Album>tracks. I am trying to upload it to OneDrive to a folder Music. I am dragging the folder from J: to OneDrive...