Windows 10: Raid 0 ssd drive

Discus and support Raid 0 ssd drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI all Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures. I know that raid 0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by russelluk, Feb 6, 2017.

1. russelluk Win User

Raid 0 ssd drive

HI all

Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures.

I know that raid 0 ssd does not support trim on my p58 atx motherboard so if I delete a file I should be able to recover it?

I deleted a folder with some holiday photos I tried to recover the folder but when i use recuva it doesnt find my folder or pictures that are deleted. Surely in raid 0 ssd i should be able to get them back from what I have read.

I know samsung has foreground garbage collection but would it write over my files that quick that I am unable to get them back.

Any advice please

Russell

:)

russelluk, Feb 6, 2017
  2. Wizzaer Win User

Windows 10 IDE-ACHI-Raid Drive problems

I have noticed a number of problems with the ide-achi-raid drives for windows 10.

First my intel raid 0 drive is notice by windows 10 as a ssd drive. if i update intel software no change.

second if I install the marvell sata 6g from windows 10 install or any driver. The windows system see the drive connected as a HDD, yet if i use standard achi drivers its noticed as a ssd.

On the Intel array i have 2x wd HDD 500gb as a raid 0

marvell chip has a samsung ssd 850 pro.

and the last problem is i have windows 10 installed on me ssd drive, yet if i go in to devices it think the system in on the raid drive.

Wizzaer, Feb 6, 2017
  3. M Gowen Win User
    Hard Drives (in Raid 0) showing as SSD in Optimize Drives, so can't defrag

I have a single SSD, boot with Windows / Programs etc, and two 1Tb Hard Drives in Raid 0 (with good backup schedule!) containing data. The SSD is visible as an SSD in the "Optimize Drives" dialog, but the Raid Array (divided into two partitions) are showing
    as two SSD drives. Hence, the optimize option to Analyse for defrag is greyed out.

All drivers are up to date. Upgraded to the latest Win8.1 Intel RST driver, but this didn't help.

Any help on changing their status would be gratefully received.

M Gowen, Feb 6, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Raid 0 ssd drive

RAID 0 Has no redundancy. Unless you backed up, the file may be lost. Raid 0 requires two drives to make an extended Stripe set or RAID 0, but you have only mentioned one SSD?
    If you had done a RAID 1 which would mirror the main drive, you would be able to recover the main drive, but not an individual folder. If Recuva is not working for you, then try the free TestDisk program, I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to,

spunk, Feb 6, 2017
  5. russelluk Win User
    Hi

thanks for your reply I forgot to mention I have 2x samsung ssd drives 256 gig in raid 0 But like I said I don't see any folder that my photos are in when I run recuva. Maybe garbage collection has deleted these files but I did not expect garbage collection to be so aggressive if this is the case.

Thanks

Russell

russelluk, Feb 6, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Um, with a RAID1 mirror, if you delete it, it will remove it from both drives pretty much simultaneously. RAID1 only peotects you if 1 physical drivd fails, it does not protect you from yourself.

pparks1, Feb 7, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Unlike spinners where deleted files can still be accessed because only the DIRECTORY entry is removed -- not the actual Data until that part of the HDD is needed for more data an SSD has different problems whether RAID 0 or not -- I'm not sure what the addressing scheme of an SSD is so how to locate physical data ?????? - With a spinner you can get a physical sector address / cluster address and attempt some sort of recovery.

I think in this case you've probably had it I'm afraid.

Incidently I can't see any reason for RAID 0 on SSD's unless like in my case where I'm running an HP gen 8 micro server where I've swapped the DVD for an SSD and kept the 4 HDD bays for HDD's. As this server can only boot from the SSD if that bay is set to RAID (hardware where you can set it as the boot device) then I had to assign it as 1 array of a single SSD. The 4 HDD's I use with SOFTWARE RAID on Linux (mdadm).

If you are on windows and want to see a bunch of SSD's (or even standard spinners) as a single disk use Storage spaces. On Linux use mdadm - far faster than typical domestic grade RAID cards. !!!

I know -- Horses and doors of stables !! but so many times we say to people AD NAUSEAM -- PLEASE --PLEASE take plenty of backups --DATA as well as the system OS.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 7, 2017
  8. russelluk Win User

Raid 0 ssd drive

yeah jimbo

I think maybe change my raid to one disk maybe a single samsung 500gig ssd drive and just ditch raid.

I'm still not really sure on why I cant at least recover some of my photos I just thought that if you use trim then it's gone but non trim, just garbage collection I had this idea that garbage collection would not work so fast as trim but looks like garbage collection can be pretty fast.

Anyway thanks for your advice much appreciated

Russell

russelluk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Raid 0 ssd drive

1. Raid 0 ssd drive - Similar Threads - Raid ssd drive

2. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  3. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  4. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  5. Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?

Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?: After installing Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my internal HDD RAID 0 array began to show an error on one of the 2 drives at start up (Listed as "error occurred" in red text on the screen that usually has all white text on a black screen), and also it's been acting funny, intermittently...
  6. Cloning a Windows installation (RAID 0) to single SSD (non-RAID) fails

Cloning a Windows installation (RAID 0) to single SSD (non-RAID) fails: Hi All, I've got a Windows 10 Home install running on a pair of 120GB SSDs running in RAID 0 (striped) - seemed like a good idea at the time.....ho-hum.... :/ Have now run out of space and want to move to a bigger (single) SSD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the partitions...
  7. 1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0

1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0: In preparation for Windows 10 I plan on completely resetting my hard drive configuration since I currently have it spanning four hard drives. Right now my OS sits on a 128GB SSD while all the programs, games, photos, family videos, etc. sit on a mechanical 1TB drive. I...
  8. Question about SSD RAID 0

Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...
  9. Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD: Okay. I have been doing a lot of cloning and migrating an OS before but I haven't done cloning or migrating an OS from dual drives in RAID 0 mode. It's not my PC. Someone is just asking for my help. Is it a different approach or is it just like working on a single drive?...
  10. Defraggler + SSD raid 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defraggler + SSD raid 0: So i've lived with this for alotta years. Its now on my short list of "things that irk me" to sort out. Ive waited iteration after iteration for piriform to sort it out. I've installed driver after driver for my raid controller. Different versions of windows. The problem...