Windows 10: RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

Discus and support RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by joksanxfr, Nov 1, 2016.

1. joksanxfr Win User

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives.

Funny thing is when I mounted on a different OS, the RAID is seen fine and in synch, no issues.

Anybody know how to tackle this one?

:)

joksanxfr, Nov 1, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Issues with Windows 10 upgrade

Sata can be used as ide or raid. I have a sata rom-drive plug into the sata port. Bois see's it as Sata ran as ide/pata. The hard drives can be set up as "raid 0". I only have 2 sata ports. So I can not set up "Raid 0" because I only have one hard drive.
    Sounds like you have 4 sata ports. 2 hard drives and 2 dvd-rom. If the bios is detecting the drives but windows is not there is a reason.

So besides adding 1 rom-drive at a time and booting windows to see if it was recognized by windows. Rolling back to win 7. Did win 7 recognized the 4 drives?

Teddy2016, Nov 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Raid 0

Before my Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Installation, I went into my Motherboard's BIOS and set my two 2TB hard drives in Raid 0 formation. After my Windows 10 Installation, "this computer" sees my "C" drive as only 2TB. Windows 10 should recognize my Raid 0 "C"
    drive capacity as 4TB. Why is windows 10 listing my "C" drive as 2TB? Windows 10 should have spanned the Installation across my two hard drives in RAID 0 formation. Did Windows 10 install only onto one hard drive? How can I correct this Windows Installation
    to span across my two Seagate SSHD hard drives in RAID 0 formation?

Dune 10191, Nov 1, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

Is the RAID driver recognised - with all these W10 updates who knows what happens.

If it's a Hardware RAID card then check BIOS setting at boot. Also there will probably be some sort of RAID boot menu - for example setting up Logical drives / striping etc etc.

If it's software ensure RAID driver is recognized.

The chances are that Windows doesn't recognize the RAID card so that's where I'd start from. Backup though data on the RAID HDD's first because a suggestion would be to unplug the RAID card and re-insert again after a total POWER OFF. If you can put it into a different slot. You want Windows to recognize the hardware.

Before doing these types of updates I'd always image the system - things like Macrium are ideal for that. Then if the update hoses up your system just restore the previous image.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 1, 2016
  5. Plankton Win User
    Are you sure you have a "hardware" RAID setup? For this type of RAID you have to buy a "Hardware" controller card....and those are not cheap. See link......

RAID Controller Cards, RAID Card - Newegg.com

If you mobo has a built in RAID controller (it's a lie).....it's just software RAID as the cost of the mobo would be much more expensive.

Plankton, Nov 1, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

A clue is that the OP has used it with different OS'es - so I suspect it must be a hardware raid but an addon card.

Very few domestic Mobos or even enterprise grade NON SERVER Mobos have built in RAID controllers -- usually people buy add on cards or use Software RAID.

So the first thing to look at is that if it's an addon card see if Windows recognises the hardware. If it doesn't - problem solved - or it might just see it as another SATA controller for standard HDD's.

I can't see what Software RAID buys these days as on W10 you can use Storage spaces (been available since Windows 8) to achieve the same object and what's more you can use different sized HDD's too. but that's another issue.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives - Similar Threads - RAID Recognized Hard

2. RAID 5 Across Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAID 5 Across Hard Drives: Hello,I am building a NAS and I have 1x 8TB HHD and 3x 3TB HHD. Can I set all 4 drives up in RAID 5 even though one drive is 8TB and not 3TB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raid-5-across-hard-drives/3639c094-b898-4d9e-9af3-bd322e4aa7cf
  3. transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive: the C-Drive is the one i have windows installed onmy current pc has 2 hard drives and the pc i am about to get has only one.a bunch of programs have the program installed on the D-Drive while the config/save files are on the C-Drive.because copying everything takes for ever...
  4. Only 1/2 of my hard drive is available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only 1/2 of my hard drive is available: I upgraded my gaming PC's hardware and software. I add (2) 500GB disks from a system I wasn't using anymore. One disk was a Windows10 x32 system disk and had 4 partitions , one partition was 'Reserved'. I deleted all the partitions but when I was done I only show 298GBs...
  5. How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1: I am replacing old hard drives before they go bad. Hard drives are 8 years old. I have made many single hard drive images with macrium reflect but never with 2 drives and raid 1. Wanted to get some input on how to do it or point me in the right direction to find out how....
  6. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  7. Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...: Can you (or should you) Defragment and Optimize an Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 1 Volume or should you just leave the Volume alone? My Configuration: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 14.5.0.1081 Volume1: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop...
  8. 1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0

1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0: In preparation for Windows 10 I plan on completely resetting my hard drive configuration since I currently have it spanning four hard drives. Right now my OS sits on a 128GB SSD while all the programs, games, photos, family videos, etc. sit on a mechanical 1TB drive. I...
  9. 1 of 2 internal hard drives is not recognized in Fiile Explorer

1 of 2 internal hard drives is not recognized in Fiile Explorer: i have 2 hard drives 1 drive has only music this is the drive that is missing it does not show up in file explorer and i can not access the music at all but hard drive shows up in device manager what can i do [img] 103897
  10. Raided hard drive unallocated

Raided hard drive unallocated: Hello ten forums does anyboby here can me how to fix my raided 2 hard drive without losing any data.. i encounter this. when i open my mycomputer i cannot read my hard drive and my raided drive in device manager was this. look at the picture 5%x Anybody here can...