Windows 10: RAID and backup - Free macrium etc

Discus and support RAID and backup - Free macrium etc in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there If you are using RAID can you recommend any Windows programs that allow you to add RAID driver when you boot from stand alone device. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Jun 3, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

RAID and backup - Free macrium etc

Hi there
    If you are using RAID can you recommend any Windows programs that allow you to add RAID driver when you boot from stand alone device.

The Non Free version of Macrium can do --"Technicians USB" but this is actually quite expensive.
    There's a couple of Linux stand alone programs that do this but it would be nice if something like Free Macrium could be "Hobbled" to load the RAID drivers.

Any ideas / suggestions here -- I'm surely not the only one using RAID on Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 3, 2016
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 3, 2016
  3. How to Run Chkdsk /f on a storage space that's read-only?

Ingmar, I do not recommend using any type of RAID if you have no backup as I've seen it fail many times with data loss.

Why do you need such a huge storage space when it involves risks that having individual hard drives -backed up externally or to the cloud (or even to another internal hard drive) - would not? The only good reason I've ever heard for this is for managing huge
    video files for editing, and even these have large enough hard drives now.

Your files should always be backed up because the hard drive can die at any time. Some suggestions to help ease into this habit:

You can drag 5gb for free into OneDrive app to store in the cloud where they are safe from fire and theft.

If you install Google Drive, you can use their new Backup to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15g for free to their cloud.

Or you can drag or copy them to a USB external or flash drive.

Here's how to drag, copy or move large groups of files:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...

A better file backup to external disk is free Macrium which is the choice of the experts:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/B...

Besides your files you should back up a System Image to use in place of reinstall in 20 minutes. The best free alternative is Macrium:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-ref...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 3, 2016
  4. RAID and backup - Free macrium etc

I have never tried a software driven raid environment only hardware based ones which have no issues since its hardware based, but With any of the backup products, TrueImage, Macrum, Amoei, etc, the normal procedure is to create your backups under windows thus using the software raid environment. It creates an image of what windows sees on your disk. In the event of a failure, restore the backup image using the standalone environment provided by the software used. Boot windows and re-build your raid environment. You may or may not be able to accomplish that.

storageman, Jun 3, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

For pure hardware RAID that's fine as the RAID environment is set up via BIOS / controller chip so drivers are loaded BEFORE the OS gets loaded and boots so the OS sees the HDD's as RAID at boot.

I have an HP Proliant Gen 8 server which has the RAID on a "Virtual" Card - At Windows (or Linux) install time you load the driver one time so the OS at install time incorporates the RAID driver into it and after the OS is installed it then sees the HDD's in the RAID configuration. You only need to install the RAID driver once at the initial OS install time --both Linux and Windows have perfectly OK methods for adding your own drivers when you install the OS.

It's a sort of "HYBRID" RAID drive --some I think call it "Fake" RAID. The RAID controller does initialize in the server at boot but the driver still needs to be in the target OS otherwise you just see all the HDD's as discrete HDD's and not in their RAID configuration.

Macrium Free used to have a Linux based bootable version - then it was easy to add the driver in a kernel start up parameter pointing to say an extra USB device where your driver was located. The current version is based on Windows PE so I'm not sure if you can do this at boot - and it's too late after boot as the wrong HDD configuuration is detected. It seems that the way perhaps to create this would be do create the Winpe environment from within Windows but I'm not sure how to do this.

Simply backing up the Windows HDD would give problems on stand alone restore as the restore program is the one that has to know about the RAID HDD's at boot - that's why IT needs the drivers loaded too.

Any suggestions. I was thinking of perhaps trying CLONEZILLA as it has RAID in it but not sure if it is OK with Windows partitions. Also CLONEZILLA clones rather than images HDD's.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 4, 2016
  6. After checking, I've noticed that you can add necessary drivers to the Macrum PE build. When you boot from the PE disc, it should load the desired drivers. I've done this on my old Win 7 system. I added USB 3.0 support via a card. I included the drivers for that card in my PE build and when I boot from the PE disc, It sees the USB 3.0 ports.

storageman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

RAID and backup - Free macrium etc

1. RAID and backup - Free macrium etc - Similar Threads - RAID backup Free

2. Macrium reflect file backup free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect file backup free?: Is the macrium reflect file folder backup free? submitted by /u/87d112 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8hwui/macrium_reflect_file_backup_free/
  3. Unable to create backup in Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to create backup in Macrium Reflect Free: I have been stuck for a long time trying to make a backup of a newly created Disk Image. Whatever changes I make to the address of the destination folder I get a popup saying the 'destination folder path is contained within the Image'. I don't know what this means or what to...
  4. Macrium Reflect Free not deleting old backup images.

Macrium Reflect Free not deleting old backup images.: Hi, I have Macrium's retention policy set to delete images older than 7 weeks, but it is not deleting them. I have at least two images it should purge before starting a new backup. It says '2 sets found', then 'nothing to delete' - even though the two oldest images were made...
  5. Macrium Free - backup on Nas fail

Macrium Free - backup on Nas fail: Hi guys, if I run a backup on an external usb 3.0 hard drive, Macrium Free create the image of the system drive, but if I scheduled (or manually run) the same backup on a network folder (a raid0 hard drive usb enclosure connected to the usb 3.0 port of my Asus DSL-AC68U...
  6. Unaddressed error in Macrium Reflect Free causing backup aborted

Unaddressed error in Macrium Reflect Free causing backup aborted: I have the latest version of Macrium Reflect Free and have used it successfully create Full and Differential backups but i removed the external usb hdd to do a backup on another pc recently and when the scheduled backup tried to run it had no destination drive to use so I...
  7. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  8. Macrium reflect doesn't find RAID HDD's for RESTORE but SEES on BACKUP

Macrium reflect doesn't find RAID HDD's for RESTORE but SEES on BACKUP: Hi there Trying to restore an image on to a RAID 0 SSD from stand alone version. After loading the RAID driver Macrium SEES all the HDD's and can select images etc. However when TARGET destination is chosen No HDD's are seen. !!! Anybody got any ideas on fixing...
  9. Doigt only Full Backups under Macrium Reflect Free

Doigt only Full Backups under Macrium Reflect Free: I have just installed Macrium Reflect Free 6.3 and cannot seem to find a way to create only Full backups. I did this on both Acronis and Paragon. How can I set up Reflect to do this? Thank you. 80044
  10. Macrium Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Free: I just downloaded Macrium Reflect Free version 6.3. When I tried to backup my system disk that has two partitions, Windows Reserved and Windows itself, I go an error message saying, : MFT corrupt =6. Please run chkdsk /f. I did that several times on the disk with no...