Windows 10: RAM GB or Speed

Discus and support RAM GB or Speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64 bit RAM Which is better 16 GB At 3000 MHz Or 32 GB at 2133 MHz? 100968 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Clockman, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Clockman Win User

RAM GB or Speed

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    RAM Which is better 16 GB At 3000 MHz Or 32 GB at 2133 MHz?

:)

Clockman, Dec 22, 2017

2. Task Manager console displays innacurate RAM speeds

I have corsair Vengeance pro 16 GB ram 1866 mhz installed, Bios cpu z show it at this speed but task manager shows ram speed at 1400 mhz. Is this a cosmetic error for win 10? How do I fix it?

Original title: Task manager and RAm speed

RobertWillmott, Dec 22, 2017
  3. ReadyBoost issue

You are beating a dead horse. If you have more than 4 Gb ram and it is not being used readyboost WILL NOT speed the system up

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 22, 2017
  4. RAM GB or Speed

What exactly do you do with your system.This is very important to know.

Most everybody will seldom need more than 16 gb of ram.
    If by chance you actually need 32 gigs of ram then that is the direction I recommend.
    I personally don't notice ram speed all that much doing everyday things.
    I don't believe you would notice the difference between 2133 and 3000 speeds.
    If you need 32 gb of ram for what ever you are doing with your system, I would recommend getting 32 gigs of ram.
    That is what I would do with one of my system if I need that much ram.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 22, 2017
  5. vram Win User
    The general rule is more RAM beats faster RAM.

Faster RAM will help you squeeze out a few more FPS in your games but not by much. It will also benefit you if you’re constantly running your CPU at/near 100% as I’m told. Ryzen responds favorably to faster RAM due to how the cores are linked through Infinity Fabric.

There are a few videos on YT that address this topic:

Does RAM speed REALLY matter? - YouTube
    Does Faster RAM Matter? - YouTube

16GB is plenty at this time for gaming. If you edit video or raw photo editing, I could possibly see a use for 32GB.

Also consider the current insane cost of memory. You’re going to pay even more for faster RAM.

6. LMiller7 Win User
    Within reasonable limits adding more RAM will always improve performance. But there will always be a point of diminishing returns beyond which there will be no noticeable or even measurable gain. That point is heavily dependent on the workload. For most users 32 GB is well past that point. You would at the least need a good size SSD for such a system to fully realize the potential benefits. Going overboard on any one component such as RAM can compensate for other weaknesses only to a limited extent. Of course if you really do have such a workload then 32 GB RAM is justified.

RAM speed means little in most situations. Likely the only place you would see any improvement is in specific types of benchmarks.

When trying to optimize a system understanding the workload is vital. This is not a one size fits all situation. Otherwise you can spend a lot of money for no gain.

LMiller7, Dec 22, 2017
  7. IMO, more RAM is better.
    If you find that you have "excess" RAM, you could use the surplus to create a RAMDisk.

lehnerus2000, Dec 23, 2017
  8. Clockman Win User

RAM GB or Speed

Hello: Jack
    Hello: VRAM Member (no name)
    Hello: LMiller7
    Hello: lehnerus2000
    Thanks to all of you for your response.
    I use Pinnacle studio and do a lot of video work, I also use Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio, Video Surgeon 2 to do a lot of musical work.
    16 GB's has in the pass worked well for me.
    With the new Motherboard ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS/USB3.1 and the AMD RYZEN 8 core processor 3.0GHz I thought maybe 32 GB would be better. The speed of the ram was another thing that was the unknown factor.
    The cost difference is another thing to consider.
    From the comments you have made I believe the 2133 MHz will be just fine. I think I will try 32 GB's. Normally I would go with 16 GB's, this will be a first for me using that much ram.
    Again thanks for your comments.

Clockman, Dec 23, 2017
  9. vram Win User
    Make sure to check out Asus’s RAM QVL for that MB so you don’t Have a bad build day *Smile

10. Because of the video work and other things, I think 32 gb @ 2133 or 2400 would be very helpful and a good choice.
    It all depends on the deals you can fine and if they are available.

I would make sure that you buy a match set of ram modules all at the same time.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 23, 2017
  11. Clockman Win User
    Hi: vram
    Hi: Jack
    Thanks for your follow up.
    I check with a Newegg tech on the ASUS Motherboard and was informed that this MoBo was very sensitive to using the correct ram that ASUS recommends.
    ASUS recommends that the ram be the same CAS latency also same version or date code from the same vendor.
    Finding a deal when looking for a certain RAM may be a problem. As RAM prices have gone up and 16GB for this MoBo is Around $180 give or take a few dollars for 2133 MHz.
    Again: Thanks guys for your input.

Clockman, Dec 23, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
  13. vram Win User

RAM GB or Speed

You won’t have to worry about CAS latency, timings etc. as long as you buy the RAM in a kit. Get a 2x8GB kit. As long as its on the QVL list, you’re good.

When I built my PC a year ago. I started off with one 2x4GB kit and then a couple months later, bought another of the same to bring me up to 16GB. They were the same brand, model and speed but different lots. Haven’t had any problems. TBO, I think the business of the RAM needing to be from the same lot, is BS. I can’t find any definitive examples of mismatched lots causing problems. Mixing different brands I could see as a potential issue.

I’ve always thought it odd that there are standards for RAM, but hardware meant for that RAM won’t work with all of it.

14. Edit by me

The big problem is finding matched ram in the quantity you want.
    The last time I looked, 32 gb of ram in a matched set were hard to find for the ram I was looking for.
    The last time I bought ram I had to settle for 2 packages of match ram. Whether one package was match to the ram in the other package, well I don't know. They seem to work quite well together. They were the same brand with matching specs.
    When one buys the same brand with all the same specs they should work well together.
    If one does have the chance of buying a complete match set, that would be my choice. Be picky if you have the chance.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 24, 2017
  15. vram Win User
    I get your analogy, but I’m not sure the results are the same here.

Either way, the preferred method is to buy the amount of RAM you want as a matched kit. I was simply offering up my personal experience and that buying the same brand/speed of memory but in two different lots made no difference in my situation. YMMV.

Thema:

RAM GB or Speed

1. RAM GB or Speed - Similar Threads - RAM Speed

2. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM: A short while since March 15th I noticed an irregularity of disk space which marked a steady decline in my PC speed and response time. In mid-March, I noticed that permanently deleting large files wouldn't be reflected through available space and that the opposite would be...
  3. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM: A short while since March 15th I noticed an irregularity of disk space which marked a steady decline in my PC speed and response time. In mid-March, I noticed that permanently deleting large files wouldn't be reflected through available space and that the opposite would be...
  4. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Changes ram speed to 8000 by misstake from 3200, pc turns on but 0 on display, how can i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changes ram speed to 8000 by misstake from 3200, pc turns on but 0 on display, how can i...: I dont know what to do? It worked in the morning but after this it stopped, and i fixed new gpu even so this makes me sad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changes-ram-speed-to-8000-by-misstake-from-3200-pc/2146e645-2ae9-4b29-af2d-dfc35c81f0f7
  6. Changes ram speed to 8000 by misstake from 3200, pc turns on but 0 on display, how can i...

Changes ram speed to 8000 by misstake from 3200, pc turns on but 0 on display, how can i...: I dont know what to do? It worked in the morning but after this it stopped, and i fixed new gpu even so this makes me sad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changes-ram-speed-to-8000-by-misstake-from-3200-pc/2146e645-2ae9-4b29-af2d-dfc35c81f0f7
  7. If I use two seperate sets of Ram but still have the same speed will it slow down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I use two seperate sets of Ram but still have the same speed will it slow down?: Hi I'm looking to upgrade my computer's RAM and by doing some research it looks like I can with different sets of RAM as long as it's the same speed now the question is if I have a set 16 gigs of RAM two 8 gigs and I want to upgrade to a 32 RAM two 16 gigs but what I'm...
  8. If I use two seperate sets of Ram but still have the same speed will it slow down?

If I use two seperate sets of Ram but still have the same speed will it slow down?: Hi I'm looking to upgrade my computer's RAM and by doing some research it looks like I can with different sets of RAM as long as it's the same speed now the question is if I have a set 16 gigs of RAM two 8 gigs and I want to upgrade to a 32 RAM two 16 gigs but what I'm...
  9. I tried speeding up my ram in bios from 2667 to 2993 and I switched to custom profile as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried speeding up my ram in bios from 2667 to 2993 and I switched to custom profile as...: fans and led on mobile come on but no signal to monitors and keyboard and mouse not working. I uplugg3d it and held power button on front of case for 30 sec n also unplugged and replaced connectors on motherboard. Still won't boot. So I got it unplugged from power again and I...
  10. I tried speeding up my ram in bios from 2667 to 2993 and I switched to custom profile as...

I tried speeding up my ram in bios from 2667 to 2993 and I switched to custom profile as...: fans and led on mobile come on but no signal to monitors and keyboard and mouse not working. I uplugg3d it and held power button on front of case for 30 sec n also unplugged and replaced connectors on motherboard. Still won't boot. So I got it unplugged from power again and I...