Windows 10: Ram loss after installing new video card

Discus and support Ram loss after installing new video card in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey guys, I just installed my new video card, GT 710, and I noticed that I lost around 100 MB of RAM. Why's is that? Can I somehow get them back?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BicycleRow, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Ram loss after installing new video card

Hey guys,

I just installed my new video card, GT 710, and I noticed that I lost around 100 MB of RAM. Why's is that? Can I somehow get them back? When I was using the integrated graphics I had 3.24 GB available and now I have 3.12 GB. That's not a small amount for me, I would really like to get them back! Here's a screenshot of what it says:

Ram loss after installing new video card [​IMG]

(Btw, there's nothing in the BIOS settings that can fix this, I checked)

:)

BicycleRow, Feb 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 Gaming Problems

After upgrade to windows 10

I'm facing some problems here with games

the video ram is only 112mb

On Inspiron 15R

Core i7

8Gb Ram

2Gb AMD card switchabe

and Intel 1GB HD family GPU

and after installing the drivers I can't play any games due to the dedicated video ram Ram loss after installing new video card :(

HazeMWageh, Feb 1, 2017
  3. Digiti124 Win User
    No Windows 10 driver for AMD Radeon x1400?

I have an older Windows 7 32bit laptop with a win 7 driver AMD Radeon x1400 and 3 gigs ram. The compatability test for Win 10 noted two areas of concern: no Win 10 driver for my old video card and the loss of Windows Media Center after the upgrade. Am
    I out of luck?

Digiti124, Feb 1, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Ram loss after installing new video card

There are certain limitations with a 32 bit system when it comes to addressing memory. There is a maximum amount of memory your computer can "see" at any one time and your video card's memory is "mapped" into this space and shares it with the system RAM.

When you set up your new combination did you disable the on-board integrated graphics? If not It's possible that some memory is still being assigned to it.

philc43, Feb 1, 2017
  5. Yeah, right after I installed the card I went to the BIOS and changed Primary Video Adapter to PCI-E.

What if I change to 64-bit? My CPU is capable of doing it, though I know it's not recommended for under 4 GB of RAM. Will it be a problem? Will it be able to address more RAM? Probably a stupid question but I'm just curious.

BicycleRow, Feb 1, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Yes with 64bit you will gain the advantage of more addressable memory and you should be able to take advantage of all your RAM. It should work OK, if you only had 2GB of RAM it would be a problem.

philc43, Feb 1, 2017
  7. Okay, just one more question.

If I do that, will I have to activate Windows 10 again? I upgraded from Vista to 10 and I don't have a key, it's digitally linked to my Microsoft account.

BicycleRow, Feb 1, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

The only way to convert is to do a clean installation and you specify that you want it to be 64bit. The activation will be automatic from your digital rights.

Unfortunately there is no way to upgrade from 32bit to 64 bit so you have to wipe everything and start again with the clean install.

philc43, Feb 1, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Press the Windows key and R together, type dxdiag, press Enter. Look at the System tab to get your installed RAM then look at the Display tab to see what the total video memory is. Windows always takes some of the physical RAM for video, e.g. my Desktop has 8192MB RAM and is showing display memory at 5049MB even though the PCIe card, nVidia GeForce GT710, has only 2GB memory on it.

Note: I have a Notebook with 4GB RAM and running 32-bit Windows, doesn't show all 4GB, only about 3.4GB, but it doesn't hinder performance.

Berton, Feb 1, 2017
  10. You will need to activate Windows 10 if Windows 10 isn't activated from your microsoft account. You'll need a re-installation of Windows to be able to install 64-bit os.

RoasterMen, Feb 2, 2017
  11. I don't think I'm gonna install 64-bit. It uses more memory thus my PC is gonna become a little bit slower, right? If so, I'm gonna stick with the 32-bit version. I want my PC to be as fast as possible.

Also, without 64-bit, there is no way I can restore the RAM I lost?

BicycleRow, Feb 2, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    Berton, Feb 2, 2017
  13. Ram loss after installing new video card

Well, it says that my CPU is 64-bit capable. Here's a screenshot:

Ram loss after installing new video card [​IMG]

BicycleRow, Feb 2, 2017
  14. There wouldn't be any much different from using 32-bit and 64-bit OS unless you upgrade to more than 4GB.

Also, more and more programs are starting to utilize 64-bit and slowly leaving behind 32-bit architecture. Your processor is 64-bit capable. I've had a slower (Pentium Dual Core E2200) system and runs W10 64-bit butter smooth.

RoasterMen, Feb 2, 2017
  15. Well, I'm probably going to do it then. I'm gonna do a backup of my 32-bit version and then install the 64-bit one. I just hope there's not going to be a problem with activating it and that it won't have a huge difference in performance. I'm kinda happy with my 32-bit version but I wanna get the most out of my RAM.

BicycleRow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ram loss after installing new video card - Similar Threads - Ram loss installing

2. Playing video games after installing new ram, potentially knocking graphics card. Screen...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Playing video games after installing new ram, potentially knocking graphics card. Screen...: Hi, I have just put some new ram into my computer, which is fully compatible. I was playing games and suddenly my screen froze and had some strange pixelated, coloured blocks. I took a photo and tried turning my PC off and back on, and when I tried to turn it on it can’t...
  3. Playing video games after installing new ram, potentially knocking graphics card. Screen...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Playing video games after installing new ram, potentially knocking graphics card. Screen...: Hi, I have just put some new ram into my computer, which is fully compatible. I was playing games and suddenly my screen froze and had some strange pixelated, coloured blocks. I took a photo and tried turning my PC off and back on, and when I tried to turn it on it can’t...
  4. Playing video games after installing new ram, potentially knocking graphics card. Screen...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Fps Drops after new ram card installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps Drops after new ram card installation: Hello!My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad L340 I5 7th gen. It originally has 4GB Ram and i decided to installed an extra 8GB Ram and SSD 256GB card to play games more conveniently. But after the installation, the fps keeps dropping to 10-20 and makes it really difficult to play. I...
  6. Fps Drops after new ram card installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fps Drops after new ram card installation: Hello!My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad L340 I5 7th gen. It originally has 4GB Ram and i decided to installed an extra 8GB Ram and SSD 256GB card to play games more conveniently. But after the installation, the fps keeps dropping to 10-20 and makes it really difficult to play. I...
  7. Fps Drops after new ram card installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. BSOD after installing new video card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSOD after installing new video card: Today i installed a new video card and upon restart my system went back to IDE from RAID.Ever since it BSOD if under RAID. The BIOS recognizes all drives(1 250g SSD (OS) non raid, 1 280g velociraptor non raid, 3x 1.5TB HDD RAID5) Currently windows 10 loads under IDE ,...
  9. the Sims 3 stuttering badly after installing new video card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the Sims 3 stuttering badly after installing new video card: So, after having enough with my integrated Intel graphics running 25 FPS on the Sims 3 with medium-low settings, I installed an EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB and fired the computer up. After getting the latest drivers (Which are still the latest) I started up the Sims 3 to find...
  10. New Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New Video Card: I have been thinking of getting an EVGA 1080 FTW video card. I currently have an Radeon R9 290 card. Would upgrading make that much difference in games like Farcry 4, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1 etc? My system stats are up to date. 77763