Windows 10: RAM upgrade for EDGE, worth it?

Discus and support RAM upgrade for EDGE, worth it? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Greetings all, I use Edge as a browser - I moved from Firefox to Chrome to Edge over the years. It's the fastest at the moment. However, it's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tony359, Feb 9, 2018.

1. tony359 Win User

RAM upgrade for EDGE, worth it?

Greetings all,

I use Edge as a browser - I moved from Firefox to Chrome to Edge over the years. It's the fastest at the moment.
    However, it's a memory burner, I constantly have 2-4GB used by Edge when I have several tabs opened and over a few hours the speed just grinds to a halt. I know this is an issue with Edge and it does not depend on me.
    My PC is an old i7 (2nd gen) with 8GB Ram. I am wondering whether upgrading to 16GB may help? I have the feeling that Edge will just consume every available resource and grind to a halt anyway! *Smile

(Yes, I am considering giving Firefox and Chrome another try! *Smile )

Thanks!

:)

tony359, Feb 9, 2018
  2. gjp001 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade on Core 2 Duo

Has anyone tried upgrading from windows 7 on core 2 duo system? How is the performance after upgrading? Overall was it worth the upgrade? I have a HP DV4t core 2 duo (Intel P8700) laptop with 6GB DDR3 ram. I would
    like to get some feedback before proceeding with the upgrade.

gjp001, Feb 9, 2018
  3. korngear Win User
    N95 8GB GOOD TO BUY ????

No, 128 mb of ram makes multitasking significantly better. Moreover, demand paging will surely work on it. Ngage is preinstalled in it. Battery imprOved.

korngear, Feb 9, 2018
  4. RAM upgrade for EDGE, worth it?

Hi,
    I wouldn't consider Chrome but Firefox/ Palemoon would be far better than Edge will ever be.
    Maxing out your ram will only be a plus to doing anything really.

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Sounds like you have a memory leak somewhere.

cereberus, Feb 9, 2018
  6. ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  7. tony359 Win User
    I thought so, Cereberus, but I've seen reviews of Edge and they all say that Edge is using a lot of memory when lots of tabs are opened. I can see it's the Edge process using all that RAM, nothing else. The latest Windows update brought a description of each process - so I know which tab is using memory. It's usually the Gmail tab or Facebook or Outlook web interface.

Do you think it shouldn't behave like that?

Trashzone,
    Attached. Why would you need to know the disk situation? Not questioning, just curious!

tony359, Feb 9, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

Yeah, it seems I answer that question at least weekly with my clients, confusion between RAM/Random Access Memory and Storage which use the same measurement, MegaByte and GigaByte, and explaining volatility and permanence.

Berton, Feb 9, 2018
  9. Hi,
    To see how much space is on C disk and it has 10gb's free and is probably why your machine slows down *Smile

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  10. tony359 Win User
    Ok, I had my first PC in 1992, it was a 386-DX 25Mhz *Wink I know the difference between RAM and Storage - but I understand you can't give that for granted with someone new!

10GB is not much but I doubt it's due to that. It's an SSD BTW. I'll make some space but I'm quite confident it won't make a difference.

Found that windows had reverted to dynamically allocated virtual memory in the meantime - I've set that back to 16GB fixed even though I'm not sure it's helping anymore, it was more useful with mechanical HDDs I guess.

I am more concerned of the attached to be honest.

tony359, Feb 9, 2018
  11. Hi,
    SSD's need 15-20% for over provisioning so yeah do what you want but more ram will not help you
    You need a larger ssd.

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  12. Hi,
    You could have also have a large Hardware reserved on the existing memory
    Open resource monitor and see what memory shows

RAM upgrade for EDGE, worth it? [​IMG]

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  13. tony359 Win User

Only 51MB hardware reserved.

I've freed up 30GB on the SSD. I shall see but I still feel it's the RAM - That said it was time to do housekeeping.

tony359, Feb 9, 2018
  14. ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  15. AddRAM Win User
    As I like to say Add RAM *Smile

Are you saying your page file is 16GB ?

Way too much.

AddRAM, Feb 9, 2018
Thema:

1. RAM upgrade for EDGE, worth it? - Similar Threads - RAM upgrade EDGE

2. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?: Hello,I am currently using Windows 10 and satisfied with it but I am thinking to upgrade to the newer version of Windows.Want to inquire if it is feasible to install Windows 11 if I have only 4GB RAM on my laptop?...
  3. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?: Hello,I am currently using Windows 10 and satisfied with it but I am thinking to upgrade to the newer version of Windows.Want to inquire if it is feasible to install Windows 11 if I have only 4GB RAM on my laptop?...
  4. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 3080Ti - upgrade worth it?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    3080Ti - upgrade worth it?: Hi, there! I have the RTX 3080Ti and use 1440p. I think that 3080Ti is weak nowadays. It isn’t high-end GPU already. So I wonder when I upgrade to 4080, if the performance increase will be mind-blowing? I read some reviews and everything going to 30% better performance than...
  6. Memory upgrade - worth it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory upgrade - worth it?: I’ve a Dell Latitude 5490 with 8GB of RAM. This has an Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated graphics card which uses the main RAM for it’s memory. The 8GB is using one of the 2 DDR4 2400 slots. I’m running this on two displays - a 4K monitor and the built-in Full HD LCD display....
  7. Is It Worth It?

Is It Worth It?: so, im a student, and i only have one machine which is my laptop, which is decent in performance, and has too much RAM (16 gigs), and in my previous machine, i was an insider, and so i would like to find out if it is worth it being an insider for windows 10, and if so, then...
  8. Is win10 worth the upgrade? Just installed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Is win10 worth the upgrade? Just installed.: Been win7 for a while. Ive done some research on win10 and many people have a ton of complains on it, including telemtry, bugs, bloatware, searching, etc. Was the switch worth it in your opinion ? Is there anything I should do to improve quality of life immediately upon...
  9. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...
  10. Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?

Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?: I basically have an old Lenovo laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 2.53GHz and only 3GB RAM), and it's upgraded to the latest 1607 Windows version. However, it's only 32-bit when my processor is 64-bit based. I can't really be arsed to have to wipe everything to switch over to...