Windows 10: RAM usage W8.1 versus W10

Discus and support RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have compared the RAM usage of 8.1 and 10 in exactly the same (virtual) system. They are quasi identical. [img] [img] 4138 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whs, Feb 10, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

RAM usage W8.1 versus W10

I have compared the RAM usage of 8.1 and 10 in exactly the same (virtual) system. They are quasi identical.

RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 [​IMG]

RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 [​IMG]

:)

2. Checking data usage (only mobile net) on Lumia 550

Hello!

I have a small, but important question. I have my Lumia 550, W10, I had a Lumia 435 W8.1 phone. I'm searching for how can I see ONLY the mobile net usage of each apps on W10? I know under the Data usage I can see the summary of the Wi-Fi and Mobile net usage.
    And I know under the "Details" there is the usage of each apps, but here is the problem. For each app I see the TOTAL (mobile net + Wi-Fi) usage, not separatly. Is there any way I can see this?

Hamid RichárdAllili, Feb 10, 2015
  3. Rita722 Win User
    Recover Calendar data after Windows 10 upgrade

I upgraded from W8.1 to W10 (after 7 hours). The entries in my W8.1 Calendar did not transfer to my W10 Calendar.

Is there a process for transferring the Calendar data from W8.1 to W10?

If not, can I view the W8.1 Calendar so that I can at least read it and manually write down the entries? Then I would rewrite the entries in the W10 calendar.

Rita722, Feb 10, 2015
  4. RAM usage W8.1 versus W10

You must not be using ie11
    Otherwise it would be reading about 1300mb *Wink

ThrashZone, Feb 10, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I use IE11 but I may not have used it before those screenshots were taken. I only wanted to compare a basic vanilla RAM usage. If you run other programs, it will be different again.

6. I was using win-7 and had one ie10 window open and was soaking up 1300+mb
    Of course I'm sure mbam pro was really soaking up the ram *Smile
    Good comparison you made though but not allot difference between 8.1 and 10.

ThrashZone, Feb 10, 2015
  7. Vladimir Win User
    Yes, there's not much RAM hunger difference between them. Though, there are some new services that I still don't know if they're important or not, but I'm trying to optimize the memory usage killing some useless things.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise TP in real hardware, dual booting with Windows 8.1 Pro, on my wife's computer. All her data is backed up in my two external drives, so no fear about trying. I'm doing all daily tasks on it and except by the impossibility of syncing my two Windows Phones I feel comfortable and quite safe. I use Office, AutoCAD, CorelDRAW, some scientific software and all goes fine... by now !

What I'm gonna say may be garbage, but playing COD-MW3 on my wife's rig I noticed that the OS keeps the game using less memory than when I play it on Windows 8.1 Pro. My current wife's rig is an old Phenom Triple-Core 2400 MHz with just 4GB of 800 MHz RAM coupled with a 128-Bit 2GB VGA, but the game keeps consistent performance using less resources.... I don't know if I'm right, but it looks like that Windows 10 has a better memory control.

~edit: off topic~

After 1 day with Office 2016 Preview I went back to 2013 ! Except for the new color theme I didn't see much difference, and it doesn't activate with any 2013 legit key.

Vladimir, Feb 11, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

I would expect that the memory usage of Windows 8 and Windows 10 would be quite close. But measuring this is in a modern OS is very difficult. There are many possibilities for factors other than those being measured influencing the results. The very different values for free memory leads me to believe that Superfetch is influencing the results, most likely due to different application usage patterns. There are other possible factors as well.

Memory usage of an OS is influenced by many factors. Including how much RAM is in the system, what processes are running and what they are doing, what processes were doing earlier in the session, and more.

LMiller7, Feb 11, 2015
  9. Interesting...

One would imagine RAM usage would be trimmed down.

Coke Robot, Feb 11, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    I would expect more RAM usage, newer computers tend to have more RAM and it's usage (up to a point) is preferable over using disks for normal tasks. Part of W8/8.1 speed is due to using RAM to cache files needed for system operation insted of reading them from disks every time they are needed. Programs on the other hand, use as much RAM as they want and need, system is not too influential there.

CountMike, Feb 11, 2015
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    The system memory manager maintains control over application RAM usage. Applications allocate virtual address space, not RAM. The memory manager then allocates RAM to the application according to it's discretion, always with the goal of maximizing overall system performance. Applications can exercise limited control over this but it is rarely done and generally discouraged.

LMiller7, Feb 11, 2015
  12. Yea I don't believe whs is using a Microsoft account so many internet hungry services are null
    He does use some gadgets for monitoring goodies though and no telling what else ?

ThrashZone, Feb 11, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

"MemInfo" MemInfo - Carthago Software is a nice little program that sits on the Taskbar (can be hidden) that at any time can show how much memory is used by any running program at any time.

CountMike, Feb 11, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    I need to look into this. Thanks Mike. *Smile

BunnyJ, Feb 11, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would expect more RAM usage, newer computers tend to have more RAM and it's usage (up to a point) is preferable over using disks for normal tasks. Part of W8/8.1 speed is due to using RAM to cache files needed for system operation insted of reading them from disks every time they are needed. Programs on the other hand, use as much RAM as they want and need, system is not too influential there. Whilst it is true that newer computers tend to have more RAM, we have to consider that W10 will also be applied to small tablets and smartphones that may come with a lot less RAM than PCs. I currently own two systems with 8.1 that have only 2GB of RAM. One is an Asus T100 Transformer and the other an Asus x250TA. For systems like that it is good if the OS footprint is small.

Thema:

1. RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 - Similar Threads - RAM usage versus

2. W10 versus W8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 versus W8.1: Hi, I bought a W8.1 license in 2015 and after a few weeks Microsoft asked me if I wanted to switch to W10 at no cost and I accepted. I've been using the W10 ever since. Now if I want to reinstall W that will be reinstalled W8.1 or W10. I specify that I have a W8.1 license...
  3. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  4. Very high RAM usage all the time w10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very high RAM usage all the time w10: Hey, so I have read alot of articles about this problem but none of them helped me out. Whenever I try to play a game it gives incredible frame drops all the time, making it unplayable. This is what I did so far (installed ram is 16GB): I turned off Superfetch,...
  5. How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?: I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10. I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this? I have read that Jump list files are located in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations and in...
  6. GPT versus MBR for W10 boot SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    GPT versus MBR for W10 boot SSD?: I have a mixture of W10 Pro and Home systems booting from SSD's of various sizes. Several of the newer systems I had preformed a clean install of W8 and set the SSD up as GPT. With the auto update feature for W10 I have ended up with a couple of "old" systems running W10 on...
  7. Clean install w10 from w8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  8. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  9. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...