Windows 10: Random and recurring computer crashe/freezes while gaming

Discus and support Random and recurring computer crashe/freezes while gaming in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there! As a last ditch effort I'm turning to you with a problem I've been plagued by for more than a year. Before making this topic I made sure to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by orcer, Jan 6, 2018.

1. orcer Win User

Random and recurring computer crashe/freezes while gaming

Hi there! As a last ditch effort I'm turning to you with a problem I've been plagued by for more than a year. Before making this topic I made sure to browse this awsome site for any similar threads, unfortunately I found no solution.
    I bough my computer from a serious dealer, they installed the parts I chose. The computer is some two years old.

My issue:
    Since about a year ago I started to experiance crashes while gaming. As I recall I first noticed them while playing Blizzard's Overwatch. I cannot remeber doing anything with the computer before the crashes started. The symptomes is as follows, when gaming for an extended period of time suddently the computer freezes and a high and annoying sound loop is played. A hard reboot is required. The crashes usually startes after 1-3 hours of gaming but when they start they happens all the time, almost as soon as I start up a game after a crash I can play for like 5 to 15 minutes before the next crash.

The crashes has come and gone for the better part of a year. Usually when a "crash period" starts I stop gaming for a week or two. They return at random after that, sometimes I've been able to play for a month, sometimes weeks and sometimes as soon as I begin playing again. I have not been able to discern any pattern to why the crashes starts, goes away or comes back. I've had a hard time to force the crashes for troubleshooting as they happens very randomly.

The crashes ONLY happens when gaming. I just had a prelonged "crash free" period, it started again while i played Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm. It's really mostly Overwatch and HOTS that are causing crashes, but they have happed from other games aswell.

I put the computer back to the dealer as a warranty claim, they did extensive troubleshooting for two weeks and finally managed to get the crashes going. They couldn't find any "smoking gun" so to speak. They did exchange my old GTX 980Ti for a new GTX 1070 as they found some coil whine from the old GPU. They really wanted to help me obviously.

My own troubleshooting:
    - Reinstalled Windows several times.
    - Reinstalled (clean installs) drivers for GPU/BIOS/chipset/audio.
    - Used costume fan curves etc.
    - Disabled all sound drives, both software and in BIOS, and am currently running audio from bluetooth.
    - Unplugged the 3,5mm audio jack in the chassie from the motherboard.
    - The dealer exchanged GPU cards as stated above.
    - I've never clocked anything, all is stock.
    - Run memtest for extensive periods of time.

I've previously ran 3d Furmarks without issue, but I just had a breakthrough when running furmarks today. I managed to crash the computer which have only happened while gaming perviously. I had HWmonitor and MSI Afterburner running while doing the benchmark. I took a cell phone photo from the values as the computer froze. Link is: Imgur

After trying to hard reboot from the crashes today the computer keeps shutting down immediately, for like 10-30 seconds. This has happened before when the computer crashed from gaming.
    The computer crashed today while doing Furmark both with a costume fan curve on and off. The last picture in my imgur link has no fan curve. The temperature is almost the same as with fancurve on.

Computer specs:
    Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz, 8MB
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    EVGA Supernova G2 750W, 80+ Gold, Modulär
    ASUS Z97-A ATX
    HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) CL10 1600MHz Svart
    Samsung SSD EVO 850-Series 250GB
    1TB WD Blue 7200rpm 64MB
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1070

Thanks you all in advance for taking your time helping me! Please let me know if you need any other information.

:)

orcer, Jan 6, 2018

2. Getting multiple BSOD's a week, no clue what the problem is.

These seem to be happening pretty much at random. Could be happening while playing games, but also while I'm not even active on the computer. Also doesn't seem related to how long the PC has been running. No idea if it's of any importance but I'll also add
    that not every crash is a BSOD. Sometimes it just freezes and I will have to reboot it myself.

These are my minidump files from my BSOD just a few minutes ago: Minidump.rar

Luc van der Heiden, Jan 6, 2018
  3. teraq12 Win User
    N95 Freeze and crashes

Phone crashes and freezes for no reason and quite random, such as not used for a while, sending texts or just looking at files. This problem started when i had the original FW and continued with the new FW.

teraq12, Jan 6, 2018
  4. orcer Win User

EDIT 1: To illustrate the "randomness" with my issue: Yesterday I was able to play for some two hours before crashes started. Today I played for like five minutes before they started.

This post is not ment as a "hidden" bump at all, I couldnt edit my origional post.

orcer, Jan 6, 2018
  5. lifetec Win User
    lifetec, Jan 6, 2018
  6. orcer Win User
    I'm terribly sorry, I did make a dump file but somehow it got lost in the upload. Here it is.

I appologize for wasting your time.

orcer, Jan 6, 2018
  7. lifetec Win User
    Your DM Log collector Tool does not have dumpfile(s) inside.

Please check if your system is configured for collecting dumpfiles. (6. To have Windows Create a Small memory dump (Minidump) File on BSOD
    If you are using CCcleaner or similar Apps please uncheck deleting dumpfiles option.
    Configure Windows 10 to Create Minidump on BSOD BSOD Tutorials

Also all your eventlogs etc. are in Swedish and makes analysing more difficult.

In msinfo32.nfo i found a few
    of these appcrashes, maybe this could be related to your gaming related crashes.
    Googling this appcrash nvdisplay container i found more people with this crash/problem.

Do you have the latest windows 10 version installed, are your chipsetdrivers up to date, installed latest BIOSversion etc.

lifetec, Jan 6, 2018
  8. orcer Win User

Roger that, thanks a ton mate. I've changed windows language to English and will include a new BSOD file, hopefully it's in the queens now.

I think I've made sure windows will create a complete dump file on the next crash now, I'll notify and upload another BSOD file as soon as a new crash have happened.

orcer, Jan 6, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    For system properties:
    For startup and recovery > system failure > un-check automatically restart
    On the advanced tab under performance click on settings > click on the advanced tab for performance options > under virtual memory click change > post an image into the thread.
    For any problem posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

Code: Event[2271]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2018-01-07T22:10:05.423 Event ID: 49 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.[/quote]

zbook, Jan 7, 2018
  10. orcer Win User
    orcer, Jan 7, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    Between 1/5/2018 and 1/7/2018 there were 12 crashes.
    Of these there were 2 crash dump failed due to paging file sizing.
    Windows failed fast startup.
    There were problems reported with an embedded controller.

1) Run HDTune: (on all drives)HD Tune website
    to check the health, scan for errors, and run a benchmark.
    Please make sure that the error scan is run in full mode.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

2) Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
    Please make sure you use the Memtest86+ version 5.01 with the link below.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    The testing is done not by time but by passes.
    The more passes the better.
    There are a significant number of false negatives if fewer than 8 passes are made.
    A false negative is a test pass when there is malfunctioning RAM.
    There is 16 GB of RAM on the computer.
    Memtest86+ version 5.01 testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
    Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing.
    Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes.
    When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.
    Memory problems. - Microsoft Community
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials

3) Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

4) If the computer has Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

5) In the left lower corner search type clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread

6) In the left lower corner search type: system or system control > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings
    > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery into the thread.

7) In the left lower corner search type services > open windows error reporting service > scroll to the startup type column > right click > left click on properties > post an image into the thread

8) Download and install Whocrashed > in the left upper corner above analyze click on tools > crash dump test > type: ACCEPT
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
    9) Click analyze > look for dead or deaddead in the results > post the results into the thread

10) Run this version of the log collector after completing steps 4 - 8 and whenever there is a BSOD:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

11) Open the website for the computer's drivers and BIOS and post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.
    12) The BIOS: BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2801, 11/11/2015 SMBIOS Version 2.813)
    Look for a BIOS upgrade

14) Back up all files to another drive or to the cloud
    15) Make a backup image using Macrium or similar software
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    16) Save the backup image to another drive or to the cloud

17) make a brand new restore point

18) Please make sure that there is no over clocking during the troubleshooting

19) To ensure that there are no improper BIOS settings please reset the BIOS:
    How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings:
    How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow:
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

20) Update the system specs in the "My Computer" section
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

21) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    22) sfc /scannow
    23) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    24) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

25) chkdsk /x /f /r C: (please run this on every drive/partition using the syntax chkdsk /x /f /r D: changing the drive letter to the applicable drive.
    This may take many hours so plan to run overnight
    26) Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk reports in the event viewer and post one drive or drop box share links into the thread:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

27) Check the BIOS PSU voltages:
    a) What are each 3.3v, 5v, and 12v values?
    b) What are the CPU voltage and frequency?
    Please use a camera or smart phone camera to post images into the thread.

28) Choose one of the temperature monitoring software applications: Speecy, HW monitor, Speed fan:
    Speccy - Free Download - Piriform: Speccy - System Information - Free
    Speccy - System Information - Free Download
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID: HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

29) What are your plans to upgrade to Windows 1709?
    a) Was there an upgrade failure?
    b) When was the last clean install?

30) Open device manager > click view > show hidden files > expand all rows > look for any rows with yellow triangular icons that have black exclamation marks > post images into the thread.

31) This is displayed as a problem device:
    High Definition Audio Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_38426173&REV_1001\5&916F472&0&0001 This device is disabled.
    Look in device manager > post an image into the thread

32) If possible please uninstall Asus AI Suite software
    AI Suite 3 cleaner

Code: Event[828]: Log Name: System Source: ACPI Date: 2018-01-06T00:17:28.722 Event ID: 15 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: : The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. Event[829]: Log Name: System Source: ACPI Date: 2018-01-06T00:30:21.224 Event ID: 15 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: : The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. Event[830]: Log Name: System Source: ACPI Date: 2018-01-06T00:30:41.418 Event ID: 15 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: : The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. Event[831]: Log Name: System Source: ACPI Date: 2018-01-06T00:34:27.507 Event ID: 15 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: : The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.[/quote] Code: Event[2271]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2018-01-07T22:10:05.423 Event ID: 49 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.[/quote] Code: Event[2133]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2018-01-07T15:10:40.690 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.[/quote] Code: Event[632]: Log Name: System Source: Display Date: 2018-01-05T17:43:54.737 Event ID: 4107 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-KS4H4AJ Description: A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API[/quote] Code: Windows Error Reporting:+++ WER0 +++: Fault bucket 2200155621106655860, type 1 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: AISuite3.exe P2: 1.0.0.0 P3: 00000000 P4: KERNELBASE.dll P5: 10.0.15063.726 P6: 32774c02 P7: 0eedfade P8: 000ecbb2 P9: P10:[/quote] Code: +++ WER1 +++:Fault bucket 1714753022284020022, type 1 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: aaHMSvc.exe P2: 0.1.0.19 P3: 00000000 P4: KERNELBASE.dll P5: 10.0.15063.726 P6: 32774c02 P7: 0eedfade P8: 000ecbb2 P9: P10:[/quote]

zbook, Jan 7, 2018
  12. orcer Win User
    1. Done, with for me no apparent errors, will post screens later.

2. Ran memtest86 twice, both time the computer froze after one pass, no errors listed. I took cell phone photos of the screens:*Memtest86 crash - Album on Imgur. I assume this could be related to my BSOD, how to you guys advice me to proceed?

Thanks

orcer, Jan 8, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

Test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM for 8 or more passes.
    This will test the RAM however it will not test the multi-channel capability of the motherboard.

If it freezes when 1 RAM module is tested then move to another DIMM and retest.

zbook, Jan 8, 2018
  14. orcer Win User
    Roger, just to clarify. A DIMM is the acutal slot in the motherboard for RAM stick? And I'm to physically remove the one RAM stick while testing the other?

orcer, Jan 8, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    Each motherboard may have a different number of DIMM slots for RAM.
    Typically the RAM should be placed in certain slots per the computer or motherboard manual.
    Please remove 1 of the RAM modules and test both RAM modules in the same DIMM for 8 or more passes each.
    Please keep track of the RAM modules and the DIMM so you will know which RAM passes/fails and which DIMM was and was not tested.
    If the test does not go beyond 1 pass then move to another DIMM and test for 8 or more passes.
    There should be a DIMM where it can test for 8 or more passes.
    This is trial and error to find a method to test the RAM.
    This will help to see if there are problems with RAM / DIMM / MB.

Between tests please post a new zip with this version of the log collector:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

zbook, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Random and recurring computer crashe/freezes while gaming - Similar Threads - Random recurring computer

2. Computer Freezes While Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Freezes While Gaming: I've been having issues with my computer freezing while gaming. I have to hold the power button to force it off because it becomes completely unresponsive, with the monitor showing a frozen image of the game I was playing. It used to only happen once every few months;...
  3. Computer Freezes While Gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Freezes While Gaming: I've been having issues with my computer freezing while gaming. I have to hold the power button to force it off because it becomes completely unresponsive, with the monitor showing a frozen image of the game I was playing. It used to only happen once every few months;...
  4. While Gaming Computer randomly kicks me out of game and crashes to desktop, freezes and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While Gaming Computer randomly kicks me out of game and crashes to desktop, freezes and...: 10 month old computer - Aegis RS Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 10700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 Super - 1TB SSD Device name DESKTOP Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based...
  5. While Gaming Computer randomly kicks me out of game and crashes to desktop, freezes and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    While Gaming Computer randomly kicks me out of game and crashes to desktop, freezes and...: 10 month old computer - Aegis RS Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 10700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 Super - 1TB SSD Device name DESKTOP Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based...
  6. While Gaming Computer randomly kicks me out of game and crashes to desktop, freezes and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer freezing and crashing randomly.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer freezing and crashing randomly.: So recently i ran into an issue with admin permissions on my computer. Thanks to the community, i managed to get it fixed....
  8. Computer crashes randomly whiling running a game

Computer crashes randomly whiling running a game: I got World of Warcraft a while back and ever since then my PC would randomly crash while playing, no blue screen, no error code, nothing. I have troubleshot most hardware and software issues I could think of and still have had no luck. A very common Event Viewer error I have...
  9. Computer Freezing While Gaming

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Freezing While Gaming: Hello, and thank you for assisting me with my issue. So recently my PC started freezing randomly while gaming, sometimes 4 hours after a boot sometimes 30 minutes after a boot its random. Ill list my specs and the error im getting below followed by fix's ive tried that have...
  10. Random freezes and total crashes while gaming/loading games

Random freezes and total crashes while gaming/loading games: Dear people. My PC freeze randomly while gaming. (Cities Skylines, 7Days to Die, Minecraft) Me and my son check everything: RAM, Mainboard, CPU, GPU, SSD, HDD, even the SATA cable. I've got a new power adapter too. (450W) Yesterday I use the troubleshooting in Win10 for my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Problemsignatur: P1: 1a1