Windows 10: Random Asterisk Alert Sound

Discus and support Random Asterisk Alert Sound in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every few minuets I'm hearing the asterisk sound either once, or multiple times with no corresponding message. It happens within every few minuets at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kwloy, Jul 19, 2017.

1. kwloy Win User

Random Asterisk Alert Sound

Every few minuets I'm hearing the asterisk sound either once, or multiple times with no corresponding message. It happens within every few minuets at random intervals, and will sound 1-3 times.

:)

kwloy, Jul 19, 2017
  2. MP797GA Win User

100% CPU Use Since Latest Windows Update

Thank you again.

Did a clean install.

All working well.

Yes, was a tad tedious with the slew of updates required to Office and Windows post install. That said, reinstalling email accounts to Outlook 2013 was super fast.

Minor side note>>>>For some reason, Outlook's new mail sound is now associated with "Asterisk" within: Sound>Sounds>Program Events: The
    "Asterisk" default sound is "Windows Background".

Easy enough to change the "asterisk" program event sound to any sound pre-installed , set to "none", or a WAV I decide to associate "Asterisk" with...yet..

My "new mail notification"sound is set properly, and tests fine within sounds/program events.

Bizarre.

Regards.

Ah...sound follow up.

Outlook's defaults were set to do many things, and "confused" the PC.

(Outlook>File>Options>Mail>Message Arrival)

It was set to both:

"Display a desktop alert"

and

"Show an envelope icon in the taskbar"

The "asterisk" within "program events" ("sounds" tab within sounds) must be associated with "display a desktop alert".

After unchecking "display a desktop alert", I now get the proper new mail sound.

When a new Outlook email arrived, the computer had 2 simultaneous program events, and whatever "asterisk" is associated with seems to win the priority prize.

I can live without the desktop alert visual.....for that matter...can live without the sound too...both are merely a nice to haves.

MP797GA, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Nokia X6 - Random Sounds?

Hi,

Does anyone with a Nokia X6 get random sounds from their phone.

Every now and then the phone will just make a single sound (like an alert type sound). Probably happens 2 or 3 times a day.

It's not my text message noise and when I open the phone up via the keyguard nothing is showing as happened like a text/missed call etc.

Anyone else had this and know what it's all about.

Wondered if it's some type of "warning/alert" for something else like maybe going from 3G to something else and if there's a way of turning the alert off?

Thanks

Ian

carpman1962, Jul 19, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Do you have any USB devices plugged in? Try disconnecting any USB devices.
    Are you using an external USB keyboard? if so, it may have a stuck key.

spunk, Jul 19, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Wild guess. Under Setting>Notifications, do you have any apps set to "Play sound" only, with no banner or toast notification? I'm showing News only as an example here. The one circled, is it the only thing ON for any app?

Random Asterisk Alert Sound [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Random Asterisk Alert Sound - Similar Threads - Random Asterisk Alert

2. Annoying alert sounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Annoying alert sounds: I sometimes get bugged by recurring alert sounds with no indication of what is causing them. Is there a way to find out what is causing these sounds? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/annoying-alert-sounds/e987d981-6b37-45a1-a127-bdb58ea2ed4e
  3. Annoying alert sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annoying alert sounds: I sometimes get bugged by recurring alert sounds with no indication of what is causing them. Is there a way to find out what is causing these sounds? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/annoying-alert-sounds/e987d981-6b37-45a1-a127-bdb58ea2ed4e
  4. Asterisk Sound plays every 6 minutes.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Asterisk Sound plays every 6 minutes.: Hi. I hear an asterisk sound a double chime every 6 minutes while using my computer or when it is on but idle with programs open. I am using an HP laptop with Core i7 and Windows 10. I have disabled all notification sounds and I see no notifications when I hear the sound. I...
  5. Windows 10 Asterisk sound on Lock Screen Help Please

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Asterisk sound on Lock Screen Help Please: Hello, When i sleep my Computer. And wake it up with a single mouse button click. The asterisk sound triggers As the computer wakes up and shows the lockscreen. It is kind of annoying because if i wake my computer up from sleep pressing a Key or the ON/OFF button on the...
  6. Wierd alert sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wierd alert sound: Keep getting a weird alert sound every so often my cursor flashes and then everything goes back to normal, don’t know what causes this I reset pc and problem still there. Help submitted by /u/StoleYourPillow [link] [comments]...
  7. CHANGING NEW MAIL SOUNDS / ALERTS.....

CHANGING NEW MAIL SOUNDS / ALERTS.....: I recently purchased - through Microsoft Store - an app for "sounds" that can be used on the computer for new mail alerts, a smartphone, and others. I had to convert the sound from MP3 to WAV format. I currently use Thunderbird for my email server, and have made the...
  8. New email sound alert

New email sound alert: I would like to hear a sound alert when a new email arrives, as I used to, but it doesn't work with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-email-sound-alert/146c579b-7638-4d84-9982-50555df6c1bf
  9. Customized alert sound for Microsoft News

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customized alert sound for Microsoft News: Does anyone know how to set up a customized alert sound for Microsoft News on PC? I was able to set up a customized alert on my Lumia 950 XL as well as my Samsung Galaxy S10 P. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the default sound on my PC and it's the same alert for Cortana and...
  10. Windows sounds / alerts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows sounds / alerts: Lately my computer has when I am not sitting there, waking up and then coming a lot of sounds. I have tried and turned off the mouse to wake up the computer but it does not seem to help at all. how do i do that the computer just wakes up via the keyboard and nothing else?...