Windows 10: Random audio stuttering and mouse freezing

Discus and support Random audio stuttering and mouse freezing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, my computer will always randomly freeze for 1-3 seconds when I do normal tasks (like using chrome and skype). The freezes cause audio and mouse to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jason761, Jan 16, 2016.

1. jason761 Win User

Random audio stuttering and mouse freezing

Hi, my computer will always randomly freeze for 1-3 seconds when I do normal tasks (like using chrome and skype). The freezes cause audio and mouse to also freeze during that time.

I tried to swap CPUs, get a new mobo, use different RAM and nothing works. I've got this problem since Windows 8. But its been progressively worse. Now I also sometimes have problems POSTing and the display will turn black when I boot up to the login screen.

I used latencymon to check which drivers are causing the problem and when I disable my GPU drivers the stuttering is gone. I don't have any of these problems when using DirectX apps. My GTX 660 has the latest drivers installed.

:)

jason761, Jan 16, 2016

2. Video streaming issues in Windows 10

I am having the same issue in EDGE and sometimes in IE. Video on web pages are randomly freezing up, but audio continues. I have the latest drivers and windows updates for my NV 980ti. My CPU never goes above 6-10% watch video off web content, but still
    getting the random issues with stuttering and freezes in my video playback.

Darcom2005, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Random dpc latency

Hi,

my specs:

Mobo Asus Ramapage III Gene

24 gb Ram

Nvidia 980 gtx

primary hd ssd

i7 920

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I recently upgraded to windows 10 (clean install), and i have random dpc latency. I followed many suddestions on the web such as cpu power, and this help me in some way.. Now is less frequent.

Most of the time it happens on videogame. When this happens the audio and pc began to stutter. (Not only audio even my pc, i can se my mouse "jump").

In some cases it happens with video too which start to have audio stuttering and then the pc completely freeze. (So i need to hardly reboot).

Normally when i reboot the pc i am unable to reproduce the bug, so this is quite weird.

This morning, for example, i turn on my pc to watch f1 and audio stutter and pc freeze. After the reboot i watched the entire race without any kind of problem..

Can someone point me in right direction?

Few more note:

I completely disabled audio from the mobo, and i am currently using nvidia output which help me a little i think.

There were no any kind of issue with windows 7 64 bit.

Most of the time latencymon show me usbport.sys as driver latency.

JohnnyPicciafuochi, Jan 16, 2016
  4. jason761 Win User

I posted some more info into this issue with LatencyMon. It looks like it has something to do with dxgkrnl.sys and Wdf01000.sys. They both have the highest DPC and ISR counts. Not sure what to do cause i cant reinstall DirectX.

Code: _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CONCLUSION _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:07:29 (h:mm:ss) on all processors. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ SYSTEM INFORMATION _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Computer name: WILSON OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64) Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., MAXIMUS VII HERO CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Logical processors: 8 Processor groups: 1 RAM: 16325 MB total _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU SPEED _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Reported CPU speed: 350 MHz Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.) Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results. WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event. Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 242067.207261 Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 6.444788 Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 242020.103196 Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 5.050717 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ REPORTED ISRs _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal. Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 264784.8560 Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.250045 Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.277248 ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 288858 ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0 ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0 ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0 ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0 ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ REPORTED DPCs _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution. Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 264873.576286 Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: afd.sys - Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock, Microsoft Corporation Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.057236 Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.203717 DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 2641690 DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0 DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 60 DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0 DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0 DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution. NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit. Process with highest pagefault count: svchost.exe Total number of hard pagefaults 15574 Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 1854 Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 2040063.752571 Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 2.586330 Number of processes hit: 57 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ PER CPU DATA _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 18.793149 CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 264784.8560 CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 9.934213 CPU 0 ISR count: 283528 CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 264873.576286 CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 5.703187 CPU 0 DPC count: 2323319 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.410136 CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 93.955714 CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.036585 CPU 1 ISR count: 4985 CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 193411.469714 CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.392468 CPU 1 DPC count: 34476 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.175473 CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 48.293429 CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000689 CPU 2 ISR count: 348 CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 241848.274857 CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.621636 CPU 2 DPC count: 116809 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.708408 CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 7.505714 CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000092 CPU 3 ISR count: 49 CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24177.428857 CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.095917 CPU 3 DPC count: 25211 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.881968 CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0 CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 4 ISR count: 0 CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 69.730286 CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.157892 CPU 4 DPC count: 54841 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.888952 CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0 CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 5 ISR count: 0 CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 67.582857 CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.071719 CPU 5 DPC count: 23230 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.966075 CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0 CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 6 ISR count: 0 CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24173.393143 CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.178401 CPU 6 DPC count: 35350 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.818963 CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0 CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0 CPU 7 ISR count: 0 CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 94.936286 CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.105729 CPU 7 DPC count: 28526 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________[/quote]

jason761, Jan 20, 2016
  5. jason761 Win User
    Can anyone help me out?

I just done a clean install of my Nvidia gpu drivers and also reinserted the gpu into the slot. The issue still appears.

jason761, Jan 21, 2016
  6. eastman Win User
    Then it's not the Nvidia card, or drivers. It's either the chipset drivers, RAM, CPU, BIOS, mouse drivers, or audio drivers. OR, OR it'ss the fact that the Nvidia drivers are not compatible with Win 10/win8 or are not optimized for specific hardware, or something is bottle necking your system. If you have a 660, that specific card is old, so that too could be an issue where it doesn't go well with the latest drivers due to it being an older card

eastman, Jan 21, 2016
  7. fireberd Win User
    The stuttering sound is probably only a byproduct of whatever is causing the mouse problem. I would eliminate the sound as a problem and focus on what is causing the intermittent mouse no response.

Dig deeper into the Latency Mon report and see if you can find anything Latency Mon overwhelms (most) with data so it may take some time to digest it all.

fireberd, Jan 21, 2016
  8. jason761 Win User

I don't get any problems with the gpu bottlenecking in any games. All these problems only happen when I'm not in a game. I've already updated most of my drivers. I will be updating my audio driver again.

I also tested with another GPU (AMD HD 7870) and I had no more boot problems or stuttering.

The only things i can find that seems to be causing all the problems is this. These are the only ones that have very high DPC and ISR count. What should I do?
    Code: Driver file Description ISR count DPC count Highest execution (ms) Total execution (ms) Image base Image size Company Product Version Path --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HDAudBus.sys High Definition Audio Bus Driver 47183 47178 264.784856 888.348491 0xFFFFF801'6D780000 106496 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hdaudbus.sys dxgkrnl.sys DirectX Graphics Kernel 82514 110432 241.764788 8512.938869 0xFFFFF801'6B0D0000 2019328 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys Wdf01000.sys Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime 132494 169825 193.411470 2037.995313 0xFFFFF801'68BB0000 806912 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 1.17.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 361.43 0 108960 0.668752 774.009812 0xFFFFF801'6CB60000 12693504 NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 361.43 10.18.13.6143 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys[/quote]

jason761, Jan 23, 2016
  9. fireberd Win User
    "High Definition Audio" suggests you only have the generic, basic function, Windows installed sound driver rather than the correct sound hardware driver. If this is the case, install the correct sound driver as step 1.

fireberd, Jan 23, 2016
  10. jason761 Win User
    I installed the realtek audio driver already. Im not sure why it says that.

jason761, Jan 24, 2016
  11. JustinHD Win User
    Reviving old thread because I think I know the cause and a possible fix:

I had this same issue (still do, now with Windows 10) with Windows 7.
    I'm not sure that this is actually it, BUT, the problem back then was coming from the nVidia drivers. I don't know why it had/has this problem and why it was never fixed, it may be related to older cards only as I'm too running an old card (Gigabyte GTX 560 SOC).
    The fix on Windows 7 was to actually install the manufacturer's drivers for the card, compatible with the version of Windows I was using and NEVER update it. As soon as I updated it, the problem with the stutter and freezes came back. I tested this by installing the same driver version, only this time provided by nVidia and the problem was once again present. The issue was not present with the manufacturer's drivers (downloaded from their website). Unfortunately Gigabyte has not released (and probably never will) a version of the drivers compatible with Windows 10. However, I suspect that the Windows 7 drivers will be compatible but I have yet to test this as the stutter is not really bothering me (except in games where the freezes are a pain and they tend to last longer, but I haven't had the time for games for a while now).
    You are welcome to try, just make sure you COMPLETELY remove the nVidia drivers (manually) before you try installing another version.
    Let me know the outcome.
    Cheers and good luck!

JustinHD, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Random audio stuttering and mouse freezing - Similar Threads - Random audio stuttering

2. Mouse stuttering and freezing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse stuttering and freezing.: Hey, recently my mouse is freezing a lot which is very annoying while playing games I searched about it and found the [Human Interface Device] driver was not up to date, so I updated them with Driver Booster and problem was fixed but after I uninstalled the software Driver...
  3. Mouse stuttering and freezing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse stuttering and freezing.: Hey, recently my mouse is freezing a lot which is very annoying while playing games I searched about it and found the [Human Interface Device] driver was not up to date, so I updated them with Driver Booster and problem was fixed but after I uninstalled the software Driver...
  4. Windows randomly freezes and the audio just stutters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows randomly freezes and the audio just stutters: I started having this problem after I fixed my nvlddmkm.sys crash, where my pc would suddenly just freeze up but the audio continues and just stutters. No BSOD comes at all, and I have to manually power down. I tried to do the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth,...
  5. Windows randomly freezes and the audio just stutters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows randomly freezes and the audio just stutters: I started having this problem after I fixed my nvlddmkm.sys crash, where my pc would suddenly just freeze up but the audio continues and just stutters. No BSOD comes at all, and I have to manually power down. I tried to do the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth,...
  6. Windows randomly freezes and the audio just stutters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Audio Stuttering and Pc Freezing Randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio Stuttering and Pc Freezing Randomly: This issue is driving me insane for a while I've dealt with it but I really would like to get rid of it if possible. Sometimes when I'm using my computer it will randomly have what I like to call micro freezes/stutters where the mouse freezes, the audio stutters and gets...
  8. Mouse stuttering and freezing

Mouse stuttering and freezing: Help, on my completely updated computer new case + all new internal components whichever of 2 mice that I have used, both will stutter and/or freeze randomly regardless of what program is running. Only one mouse is connected at any time. Both connect via USB dongle, are...
  9. Mouse Stutter/Freeze

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse Stutter/Freeze: Recently my mouse started to stutter across the screen or freeze. I've searched and looked for ways to fix it but none of the methods seem to help me resolve this problem. This is starting to irritate me and I don't know if I should factory reset my pc. Can anyone please help...
  10. Mouse stutters randomly.

Mouse stutters randomly.: my mouse stutters at random times.ive tried updating drivers and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers .the only way i can make it happen on cue is if i open task scheduler and double click a task and go to triggers tab and select edit and if you try to move the mouse right...