Windows 10: Random BSOD (critical process died)

Discus and support Random BSOD (critical process died) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey All, First post on these forums! Soooo, I've been pulling my hair out lately with this BSOD (critical process died) crash (usually occurs at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by webhead93, Jan 28, 2017.

1. webhead93 Win User

Random BSOD (critical process died)

Hey All,

First post on these forums! Soooo, I've been pulling my hair out lately with this BSOD (critical process died) crash (usually occurs at least once a day.). I originally thought it might be hardware related, so I've pretty much replaced every component on my PC, and still the issue persists, I have also tried both Windows 8.1 and 10, and a different HD, same error. I'm thinking the last possibility is that drivers automatically installed by windows are causing problems. So I've ran the analytics software provided and have my system report attached. I've also ran many of the common windows tests, they all don't find any issues. Attachment 118982

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide, you guys are my last hope.
    Thanks,
    Steve

:)

webhead93, Jan 28, 2017
  2. JoshSmart Win User

Critical Process Died BSOD after "PC Reset"

The OS was super laggy and then died. I think my ssd is dead. I found an article that mentioned symptoms of bad blocks on an ssd and if you look at the big picture and not just the recent BSOD most of my random BSODS were either currupt system image, bootloader,
    or critical process died. None of them were repairable with windows tools so it seems it cojld be the drive.

JoshSmart, Jan 28, 2017
  3. Unexpected store exception and critical process died (random)

My windows 10 Aus pc is showing me two BSOD unexpected store exception and critical process dies. It is very frustrating and is random. There is no specific app that leads to the blue screen death. Please help me. I have tried opening some dump files but
    I haven't been able to decipher them correctly.

MuhammadRafiqueVW, Jan 28, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

You have Driver Verifier enabled and a lot of options checked. Why?
    I suggest disabling Driver Verifier and see how your PC runs.

Part Three: Disable Driver Verifier

Also, there is only one dump in the zip file. Are you running a drive cleaner like CCLeaner? If so, stop using it until this problem is resolved. The more dumps we have to work with the better chance of figuring out the problem.

Ztruker, Jan 29, 2017
  5. webhead93 Win User
    Thanks for the response, that dump file was generated when I ran Driver Verifier, I disabled it afterwards. Otherwise I haven't been getting any other dump files? I'm not using any drive cleaner.

webhead93, Jan 29, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Nothing useful in the dump as it doesn't identify the driver causing the problem.

Looking through Event Viewer log file eventlog.txt, I see lots of these:

Code: Event[1552]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Date: 2016-11-20T14:00:58.638 Event ID: 19 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-19 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE Computer: DESKTOP-665J3HP Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Corrected Machine Check Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor APIC ID: 36 The details view of this entry contains further information.[/quote] The last one recorded was at Date: 2017-01-13T11:22:46.638.

See if you can find some of them and post the Details view of th4e entry as suggested above, see if that gives us any additional info.

Ztruker, Jan 29, 2017
  7. webhead93 Win User
    The last one recorded was at Date: 2017-01-13T11:22:46.638.

See if you can find some of them and post the Details view of th4e entry as suggested above, see if that gives us any additional info.[/quote] Okay, still haven't been able to work this out, I've been looking through the Event Viewer and cleaning up all the errors I find. (usually due to services running that I don't need running.) But still the daily BSOD Critical Process Died persists... after correcting a few of the errors I saw in the Event Viewer, I haven't been able to find any Event 19: errors.

One thing I've noticed is I get an Information Event ID: 98 (Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) is healthy. No action is needed.) before every Critical crash.. Does this possibly lead to the cause?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

webhead93, Feb 4, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

No, that's a normal Event log entry, I see that on every system.

Please run dm_log_collector and upload the latest zip, I would like to look at a recent eventloh.txt (Event Viewer log file).

Ztruker, Feb 7, 2017
  9. webhead93 Win User
    Okay here's the latest log collector file. Also it seems sometimes it wont blue screen, and instead Windows will just hang and become none responsive until pulling the plug and restarting. Attachment 120328

webhead93, Feb 7, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    No new dumps, rats!

In eventlog.txt, I can see where a shutdown occurred that was not expected, like this:

Code: Event[35971]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2017-02-07T19:31:17.905 Event ID: 20 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-665J3HP Description: The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true. Event[35977]: Log Name: System Source: EventLog Date: 2017-02-07T19:31:26.911 Event ID: 6008 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-665J3HP Description: The previous system shutdown at 7:09:53 PM on ?2/?7/?2017 was unexpected.[/quote] but I can't find anything prior to that or prior to 7:09:53 PM (19:09:53) that indicates a problem was detected so it sure sound to me like a hardware problem and not a software, OS problem.

Ztruker, Feb 9, 2017
  11. webhead93 Win User
    but I can't find anything prior to that or prior to 7:09:53 PM (19:09:53) that indicates a problem was detected so it sure sound to me like a hardware problem and not a software, OS problem.[/quote] Thanks for looking into it, I have literally replaced every part to my build but the power supply, and wasn't thinking it would be an issue caused by a bad PSU.. I also have my system hooked up to a battery backup, to ensure its getting a constant voltage from the outlet. All the disk checks I've ran come up with no issues... Really not sure where to go from here, kinda at a loss.

webhead93, Feb 9, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    My guess is a defective CPU. You have a hundred or more of the Processor Core Machine Check entries.
    Code: Event[1552]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Date: 2016-11-20T14:00:58.638 Event ID: 19 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-19 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE Computer: DESKTOP-665J3HP Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Corrected Machine Check Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor APIC ID: 36 The details view of this entry contains further information.[/quote] Please post the info from a details view of one of these entries, see if anything useful is in there.

Ztruker, Feb 10, 2017
  13. webhead93 Win User

Please post the info from a details view of one of these entries, see if anything useful is in there.[/quote] Good catch, but looking through the event viewer, the last reported warning was 1/13/2017, and that was the date I replaced the CPU's, so it seems that cleared up the warnings, but still the crashes persist...

webhead93, Feb 10, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Okay, that's good then.

The only dump we've had to work with is the 1/28 Driver Verifier generated dump which indicated memory_corruption that was caused by a device driver, but it did not indicate which one.

Looking at it again, I did notice in the thread trace (!thread then dps) that LGBusEnum was in there several times. This is LGBusEnum.sys:

Driver Description: Logitech Keyboard
    Driver Update Site: Logitech Support + Downloads

The one you have is recent (Mon Jun 13 14:47:08 2016) but check to see if there is a newer one. If not then try an older one or remove the Logitech keyboard and use a different one for awhile as a test.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Random BSOD (critical process died) - Similar Threads - Random BSOD critical

2. Critical Process Died - BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died - BSOD: Hello,There was a blackout, and upon starting my computer, I was greeted with the blue screen of death, with the only message being "Critical Process Died."I attempted all the recovery options available:Safe mode gives the same error; critical process diedchkdsk /r completed,...
  3. BSOD Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Critical Process Died: I accidently installed a new audio driver which ended up messing up my system. I did a system restore and the PC booted as normal. I shut the computer off when I went for dinner. When I returned to turn the computer back on, I got the BSOD with the critical process died. I...
  4. BSoD Critical process died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD Critical process died: Hello. A month ago I ran into a problem - Windows 10, a BSoD with an Error: Critical Process Died began to appear. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11, because my laptop is made for this system. After updating to a new system, periodically again began to knock out a blue...
  5. BSoD Critical process died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD Critical process died: Hello. A month ago I ran into a problem - Windows 10, a BSoD with an Error: Critical Process Died began to appear. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11, because my laptop is made for this system. After updating to a new system, periodically again began to knock out a blue...
  6. Critical Process Died bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...
  7. Critical Process Died bsod

Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...
  8. BSOD - Critical Process Died

BSOD - Critical Process Died: Hi, could anyone check on my BSOD logs? I get the feeling it might be a hardware issue as I have reinstalled OS multiple times already and it still occurs. Thanks! BSOD sometimes shows CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Though I do notice sometimes it showed UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION....
  9. Critical Process Died BSOD randomly happening

Critical Process Died BSOD randomly happening: Very recently I've had BSODs all over the place with the stop code Critical Process Died. It appears to happen at random times. I can sometimes predict it happening as the calling sings are that chrome stops rendering youtube videos and my pc begins to soft lock while sound...
  10. Random CRITICAL PROCESS DIED BSOD

Random CRITICAL PROCESS DIED BSOD: Experienced a BSOD today which resulted in a temporary corruption of windows system files. I say temporary because when I first attempted to use the windows tool to verify system files it failed but stated there were corrupted files. I rebooted and tried again and it passed...