Windows 10: Random BSOD when switching resolution

Discus and support Random BSOD when switching resolution in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; It seems that I have a few problems. First, I have a "phantom monitor" problem. My GTX 970 detects an additional monitor that stays at 640 x 480, even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jaester, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jaester Win User

Random BSOD when switching resolution

It seems that I have a few problems. First, I have a "phantom monitor" problem. My GTX 970 detects an additional monitor that stays at 640 x 480, even though I have one DisplayPort cable running from the card. No other cables are connected. I can't seem to get rid of the phantom monitor!

The problem started a week after I came back from vacation. I fired-up my desktop, and it refused to display output to my monitor. I thought I fixed it by displaying "Only on 2", but every once in a while, the system reboots without warning when changing display settings, or trying to run a game.

Perhaps I should do a clean install? I've been running the same Windows systems since 2013. Lol.

:)

jaester, Jun 12, 2018

2. Resolution?

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to change the screen resolution in Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• What are the options you are getting?
    • How exactly are you trying to change the screen resolution?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1600x900.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jun 13, 2018
  3. Screen Resolution too big

Hello,

Firstly, try to install all the available Windows Updates and check if it fixes the issue.

I suggest you to change the screen resolution settings and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type Change Screen Resolution and click on the option listed.
    • Under resolution try changing the resolution settings.

Also try to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website and check.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Jun 13, 2018
Thema:

Random BSOD when switching resolution

1. Random BSOD when switching resolution - Similar Threads - Random BSOD switching

2. BSOD when changing resolutions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when changing resolutions.: Ok, so this is my first post here at the Microsoft community forums. I'll begin with the question right away.So I've been getting these BSODs quite...
  3. BSOD when changing resolutions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when changing resolutions.: Ok, so this is my first post here at the Microsoft community forums. I'll begin with the question right away.So I've been getting these BSODs quite...
  4. BSOD when changing resolutions.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Everything randomly mutes when audio is switched

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everything randomly mutes when audio is switched: A few select games have given me this issue. When playing Valorant, for example, when I launch the game I will be met with no audio. The audio on the computer says it isn't muted, and moving the audio up and down doesn't do anything. Instead, I have to mute then unmute every...
  6. BSoD when switching to battery.

BSoD when switching to battery.: The title explains. I have update chip set, bios, and all drivers available to windows update and support assist. I am using a Dell precision m6800. Here is some of the things that caused the crashes: [ATTACH] I have had issues every once in a while saying that ac power...
  7. Games are switching resolution when entering fullscreen mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games are switching resolution when entering fullscreen mode: Hi I have a problem where When I open a game like apex legends or fortnite, My monitor resolution jumps up to 3840 by 2160 witch is only supported as 30 htz. But I want my games to run at 1920 by 1080 at 144htz because that is my monitors refresh rate. Does anyone know...
  8. BSOD when switching user accounts

BSOD when switching user accounts: I get a BSOD stating dxgmms2.sys failed when switching from one user account to another if I try to play a video. This occurs when the video starts in many apps, including Netflix, Hulu, Edge, etc. This only happens if another user is signed in and we switch users. It does...
  9. Screen resolution changes when monitor switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution changes when monitor switched off: Due to upgrading my M2 sytem boot drive I've had to reinstall Windows 10 and I've come across a plethora of problems that I had when first installed it last year. This one I know there is a Reg fix for it but trying to find it has proved fruitless. I have a 4k monitor and...
  10. Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch: Hi, When using Win10 with my monitor it correctly sets the resolution to 1360x768. When I use my KVM switch it changes the resolution to 1024x768 which looks all wrong. I try to manually change the resolution but 1360x768 is not on the list. I have unchecked the "hide...