Windows 10: Random BSODs - can be a few per day, or a few days between BSODs

Discus and support Random BSODs - can be a few per day, or a few days between BSODs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I would really appreciate it if anyone could shed any light on this. The PC was originally Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10 last year.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by daveben, Jan 17, 2017.

1. daveben Win User

Random BSODs - can be a few per day, or a few days between BSODs

Hi,

I would really appreciate it if anyone could shed any light on this. The PC was originally Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10 last year.

The crashes seem to be random, sometimes when it's sitting idle, sometimes whilst I'm working.

I have run METEST86+ for 11 passes (18 hours!) and got no errors.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

:)

daveben, Jan 17, 2017

2. BSOD every few days

Did you also check with Logitech Support and Forums to ask if this is a known issue.

Check that you also have the latest chipset drivers as well as the BIOS.

You could let it run the memory tests at night.

Also:

Troubleshoot blue screen errors <-- read this link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Please do let us know the results and we are here to help if needed.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Voric Win User
    BSOD every few days

I am not yet sure if the problem is fixed.

I have not had errors since I posted the question but it can take more than a week to get one.

So far I've reinstalled cleanly the nvidia drivers a few times and I've kept the driver up to date for the past year so I doubt this is the problem.

The BIOS was updated a couple of weeks ago with the latest version and I reinstalled the Logitech software a day ago.

On the weekend I will reinstall all the other drivers, reseat the hardware and run driver verifier again.

Voric, Jan 17, 2017
  4. lifetec Win User

Two of the latest dumpfiles are
    Code: BugCheck 12B, {ffffffffc00002c4, 3e9, 38e5fd0, ffffe000181ee000} Probably caused by : hardware ( REGION_PAGED_OUT ) Followup: MachineOwner --------- 0: kd> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (12b) This bugcheck indicates that a single bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error. Arguments: Arg1: ffffffffc00002c4, virtual address mapping the corrupted page Arg2: 00000000000003e9, physical page number Arg3: 00000000038e5fd0, zero Arg4: ffffe000181ee000, zero Debugging Details: ------------------ DUMP_FILE_ATTRIBUTES: 0x8 Kernel Generated Triage Dump BUGCHECK_STR: PAGE_NOT_ZERO CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1 DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT PROCESS_NAME: MemCompression[/quote] To be sure run memtest 86+ again.
    .Please start with diagnosing the system RAM first.
    You can use the free tool "Memtest86+"to stress test the RAM.
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM
    Make sure you are using the latest version 5.01 - Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory DiagnosticTool
    You can stop the test even if a single error is found during the test.Otherwise continue the test for 7-10 passes and post a screenshot with next reply. 7 passes is the recommended bare minimum but more passes will give better result.

If memtest 86+ gives no errors.
    Please test your harddrive.
    To check/analyse the integrity of your HDD you can use Sea Tools
    Download from here SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Windows has this program chkdsk See for info and how to use
    Drive Error Checking in Windows 10

lifetec, Jan 17, 2017
  5. daveben Win User
    Hi Lifetec,

Many thanks for looking at this for me.

I wasn't sure how to get some of the results in file formats so I've attached images - hope that is OK. In SeaDisk I couldn't see how to get more detailed results but I can easily run this again if needs be.

Thanks

Dave

daveben, Jan 18, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Hello Daveben *Smile

I notice you are running Kaspersky. This has been known to trigger BSOD events. I would try running without it for a while and see if it makes a difference. You can safely use Windows Defender instead.

philc43, Jan 18, 2017
  7. daveben Win User
    Thanks Phil,

I've turned off Kasperksy and turned on Windows Defender. I'll report back in due course.....

daveben, Jan 18, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Don't turn off Kaspersky, uninstall it. Turning it off does not remove it's drivers and they can still cause problems.

Ztruker, Jan 19, 2017
  9. daveben Win User
    Hi Ztruker,

Switched on the PC about 15 minutes ago and just had time to read your message before it crashed again - at least this confirms that switching off Kaspersky is not the answer.

It then suffered another crash a few minutes later - just as I'd got into the remove applications screen.

Third time lucky - Kaspersky has now been uninstalled. I'll report back later.

Thanks

Dave

daveben, Jan 19, 2017
  10. daveben Win User
    So close....

Since removing Kasperksy I've had nearly four days of use without incident and was all set to come on here and report it fixed - until a couple of hours ago when it crashed again.*cry

I have attached the latest dump file.

Thanks

DaveAttachment 118217

daveben, Jan 22, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    Actually, if you can post a complete new set of log files it will be more helpful.

philc43, Jan 23, 2017
  12. daveben Win User
    Hi,

File attached.

Thanks

daveben, Jan 23, 2017
  13. philc43 Win User

There is something corrupting the memory - its either the RAM itself or a driver writing bad information to the memory.

As you have already tested the RAM I still think there is a rogue driver somewhere. We can use Driver Verifier to try and flush out the culprit.

Random BSODs - can be a few per day, or a few days between BSODs [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please read and run driver verifier.

If you suspect a driver is causing a problem but do not have a clear idea which one it is then Driver Verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or until you have a bluescreen, whichever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset driver verifier from within safe mode, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

philc43, Jan 23, 2017
  14. daveben Win User
    HELP!!!
    I've enabled the driver verifier and now the machine won't boot - it's stuck with a windows logo and a spinning circle. I can't see how to get to any of the options to disable the driver verifier since it hasn't got past this screen. How do I disable the verifier?

Thanks

Dave

daveben, Jan 24, 2017
  15. Jack07 Win User
    I don't know if it's still working and might not be the best approach so wait for more opinions and use this as last resort.
    If you reset the PC right after you get the windows loading screen, after 3-5 times you should get the recovery screen.

I don't know why MS got rid of the old F8 option to boot in safe mod..

Jack07, Jan 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Random BSODs - can be a few per day, or a few days between BSODs - Similar Threads - Random BSODs few

2. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  3. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  4. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Several BSODs in a few days

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several BSODs in a few days: Not much more than that. Several errors in this last week. Tried a lot. Sfc, Chkdsk, update drivers, restores older drvers, driver verifier, DISM, and more. Some of the BSOD erros, minidumps, and my specshttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AmgNMLdhtHyLkeoXtts3lKyHurvn5w?e=cxEoXbAnything I...
  6. Several BSODs in a few days

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Several BSODs in a few days: Not much more than that. Several errors in this last week. Tried a lot. Sfc, Chkdsk, update drivers, restores older drvers, driver verifier, DISM, and more. Some of the BSOD erros, minidumps, and my specshttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AmgNMLdhtHyLkeoXtts3lKyHurvn5w?e=cxEoXbAnything I...
  7. Several BSODs in a few days

8. BSODs Every Few Days

BSODs Every Few Days: Hello, I recently upgraded my PC with new mobo/gpu/cpu/ram, and have been having BSODs on and off since. They have only happened when I was away from the computer, so I didn't realize they were happening until one occurred while my wife was using Autodesk Revit. She has...
  9. Random BSOD for the past few days

Random BSOD for the past few days: For the past few days I been experiencing BOSD playing games and one time just watching youtube video. I did memtest86 the results were fine. This morning I did the driver verifier and got a BOSD right at windows logo screen. I attach the minidump files dated back from...
  10. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

BSOD every few hours or few days - very random: I added a new video card so I could add a new 4K Dell P2715Q monitor with my current Dell 2407 WFP. The card is a PNY nVidia quadro k620. When I added them I still had Windows 7. Started getting random BSOD with various reasons indicated such as "driver IRQL not less or...