Windows 10: Random BSOD's, ntoskrnl.exe / driver related?

Discus and support Random BSOD's, ntoskrnl.exe / driver related? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings all, I usually find my way around PC issues, but I'm about to lose hope with this one.. The laptop in question is a brand new Vaio Z... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rstysnake, Sep 23, 2016.

1. rstysnake Win User

Random BSOD's, ntoskrnl.exe / driver related?

Greetings all,

I usually find my way around PC issues, but I'm about to lose hope with this one..

The laptop in question is a brand new Vaio Z Flip. Have it for less than a week.
    Model is i7 6567U, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD.

Some history (long post, might not be relevant.. skip to file below itc):

When I turned it on, Win10 began updating immediately, so I can't tell if BSOD's were there before.
    The installs failed mid-way (don't remember if it was a BSOD or a freeze). Ever since, I started noticing random BSOD's, usually of the types:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

...and some others which I can't recall (wiped PC since).
    99% of the errors listed ntoskrnl.exe as the problem when examining with BlueScreenView.

I did a reset, which also failed mid-way, so the PC won't boot. I re-installed Win10 using a USB (with Media Creation Tool), and then performed a reset inside Windows. It succeeded, but BSOD's were still there. I re-installed again. I then noticed same BSOD's, despite no 3rd party drivers being installed (except ones fetched automatically by Windows - I turned that off then). I installed all 3rd party manually as given by Vaio here.
    BSOD's were still there at random, maybe less frequent.

Also tried:
    1. Ran memtest a whole night for 9 passes - no errors.

2. Performed built-in diagnostics (sfc, chkdisk etc.). sfc returned this:
    CBS.log is attached below.

3. I used to get a BSOD when touching the PC after it'd been idle - I noticed it stops happening when I turned off "Save me power when my device knows I'm away" in settings.

4. Driver Verifier. When I ran it the way instructed in MS forums (checking all tests except two), I would get a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION on boot, with no dump generated. I tested this with all non-MS drivers, and also some individual drivers - most of them generated this error.
    After that, I ran the test as explained in this forum, PC booted normally & left running during the night. The following morning I noticed it had a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, with ntoskrnl.exe / storport.sys.

All in all, can't tell if it's a HW problem (haven't crashed in safe mode.. yet). Laptop is under warranty, but Vaio have no reps in my country. So I must make sure I'm dealing with HW issues before shipping internationally.

Thanks in advance!

:)

rstysnake, Sep 23, 2016

2. Lots of BSOD's

PS: after my previous/last replie i had 3 more BSOD's:

seems like there are a lot of random once...

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT win32kbase.sys

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

florian de graef, Sep 23, 2016
  3. ShadowXC Win User
    0x139 Bug check BSOD happening a lot.

i only know from bluescreenview that the bsods were caused by ntoskrnl.exe and sometimes random drivers.

heres the link to the skydrive containing the 32 minidumps: OneDrive

ShadowXC, Sep 23, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi rstysnake,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

This is a good indication that you have a hardware problem, no system should crash with default drivers.
    Recommendation is to use the warranty.

5. I have a similar error with one of my many computers as well. What build are you running?

Michaelvas17, Sep 24, 2016
  6. rstysnake Win User
    Hi, and thanks. *Wink

Small update: I was about to post that I'd run BSOD-free ever since doing a clean boot (with all non-MS services removed). I even did some stress-testing (HD videos, constant searching my SSD, etc..).
    Unfortunately, I had a BSOD just now.. strangely enough, while doing nothing at all.

This one came with no error name, and win32kfull.sys being the process at fault. DMP is attached

That I fear as well, yes. Despite all HW diagnostics returning no errors, I guess I can't rule that out.
    There is some strange behavior, even with default drivers. For example, Windows keeps reinstalling the WiFi card driver, even though I turned off the auto-install drivers option. I also had to remove an auto-installed "Intel Driver Package". This one didn't come back, though.

I understand warranty is my safest bet. But as I mentioned, that'll involve some costly international shipping, so I must be sure it is indeed hardware.

I added the specs to my profile. It's a Vaio Z Flip laptop. It is the exact same spec as reviewed here.

rstysnake, Sep 24, 2016
  7. This crash dump actually has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe. In fact, the fault has to do with win32kfull.sys.
    I can't provide much other insight.

The question I'm asking to you @rstysnake is what build of Windows 10 are you running. If you're not sure, do the following:
    - Press the Windows Key + R. The Run Dialog should come up.
    - Type 'winver' in the box, press enter.
    - A window like this should come up:
    Attachment 103187

The information that is highlighted is what I'm asking for.

Michaelvas17, Sep 25, 2016
  8. rstysnake Win User

Ah, I see. The build I'm running is the same as in the picture - 1607 14393.187.

I actually had 2 BSOD's (PFN corrupt & IRQL not less) while attempting to write this post... it seems they're much more frequent when I'm not clean-booting.

And yes, I realize most of the time, the driver reported by WhoCrashed/BlueScreenView as faulty may not actually be the problem. The last DMP listed both ntoskrnl.exe and FLTMGR.sys.

If anyone can provide further analysis, I'll be grateful. My next step is trying to install Win7/8.1 and see if I'm still crashing.

rstysnake, Sep 25, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    Microsoft drivers aren't the cause, when they are blamed it is either something else corrupted something earlier / made an illegal action or there is a hardware problem.

The dump isn't very insightful for me.

As you already ran Driver Verifier I would like to have some more information about the tests performed.

Which memtest did you ran? MemTest86/MemTest86+/Other?

Which other built-in diagnostics did you run exactly?
    Please upload the chkdsk log *Arrow Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums

10. rstysnake Win User
    I used MemTest86+. Booted with a USB.

Regarding other diagnostics, they were just Windows' own memory tester, disk error checker, startup repair & a full scan with Windows Defender.

I uploaded the required log. Anything in particular I should be looking for in the event viewer?

(p.s I just noticed my local date is 28/9 instead of 26/9. Sorry if it makes the logs a little confusing.)

rstysnake, Sep 25, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    It looks like your file system has been very corrupted.

Please try following command in an admin command prompt and post a screenshot of the result.
    Code: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth[/quote] If there are problems with RestoreHealth, please follow step 6 or 7 (depending on the file you have from the download) from the tutorial DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Tutorial.

Random BSOD's, ntoskrnl.exe / driver related? [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Note Please run HDTune first, in the order posted!

Run HDTune to
    • check the health,
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • run a benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    • the health,
    • the error scan,
    • the benchmark incl. following
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

Run SeaTools DOS to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Run the long test.

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.
    Make a photo of the result and post it.

12. rstysnake Win User
    Hi axe0,

DISM doesn't seem to work. I've tried your command, as well as the one in the guide (using install.esd).
    Both commands result in the following message:

I also tried it in safe mode. The RPC service is on, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Here are the results from HDTune:

Attachment 103314

Everything seems in order, besides the S.M.A.R.T info not showing up in health.

Regarding SeaTools - I am indeed using an SSD, so according to the note I shouldn't be running this test?

rstysnake, Sep 26, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

Instead of SeaTools you could use Samsung Magician *Smile

14. rstysnake Win User
    I only have the option to run a benchmark, which runs fine and reports no problems.

The software doesn't report any S.M.A.R.T info or health status. Unless that is an indication of a problem, the drive seems to perform correctly.

rstysnake, Sep 29, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    Unfortunately I have seen it many times that drives looking to perform correctly without any sign of a problem still cause the problem. In those situations a next step was to cleanly install the OS, after backing up everything, and only check Windows Updates for updates and update Windows Defender. If it in such situations would still crash it is safe to call the drive as the cause.

Thema:

1. Random BSOD's, ntoskrnl.exe / driver related? - Similar Threads - Random BSOD's ntoskrnl

2. Exe related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe related: Can you tell me what is ztool.exe and will it harm my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-related/4b13d815-837c-4637-b54d-284885fb62ee
  3. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  4. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  5. Random BSOD ntoskrnl, ntkrnlmp executables

Random BSOD ntoskrnl, ntkrnlmp executables: I have a Lenovo laptop with the following specs: Intel Core i7-8550U 4C / 8T, 1.8 / 4.0GHz, 8MB Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 Intel SoC Platform 16GB Soldered DDR4-2400 512GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 13.9" UHD 3840x2160 IPS 300nits Glossy I started getting random...
  6. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  7. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  8. BSOD playing overwatch ntoskrnl related?

BSOD playing overwatch ntoskrnl related?: Hello, I recently got a new graphics card, as well as upgrading my OS to windows ten. However before and after these actions I receive various BSODs but only while playing Overwatch. Looking into it they seem to be related to the ntoskrnl.exe process, but I may be...
  9. Random BSODs (ntoskrnl,memory_management)

Random BSODs (ntoskrnl,memory_management): Hello, first timer here. Long story short, after i updated to windows 10 from 8.1 i started experiencing some randomly BSODs. So i downloaded the ISO and made a clean install.Immidiatelly after my newly formated pc i installed Avast,mozilla and Asrock's Suite to check for...
  10. Random BSOD CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION or NTOSKRNL

Random BSOD CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION or NTOSKRNL: Hi there! And thank you in advance for your help! AORUS-X7-DT-V6-30_10_2017__01924,84.zip Some time ago I started getting idle BSODs after reverting to an older System Image everything was fine until the creators update kicked in. Now I am getting random BSODs (not only...
Tags: