Windows 10: Random freeze of OS - SSD ?

Discus and support Random freeze of OS - SSD ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've recently build a new PC, but I'm having some issues. All components are new besides my SSD/HDD/GPU/DVD. I've updated all drivers +... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelh92, Aug 13, 2015.

1. nigelh92 Win User

Random freeze of OS - SSD ?

Hello,

I've recently build a new PC, but I'm having some issues.
    All components are new besides my SSD/HDD/GPU/DVD.
    I've updated all drivers + BIOS.
    My PC randomly freezes for like a minute, and then continues.
    I've stress-tested my RAM, SSD etc.. but nothing appears to be "broken".
    I did notice that when I'm booting from my SSD, this occurs regulary.
    I also noticed that when I'm booting from my SSD, Windows showed a "Repairing Drive" message.
    When booting from my HDD, no freezing occured so far..
    I'm pretty sure its the SSD, just confused as no actual errors are found by any tests.
    According to CrystalDiskInfo + SSDLife, my SSD is 100% in fine shape *Shock
    THIS ISSUE HAPPENED BOTH ON 8.1 AND 10 ON SSD

I've attached some OCCT log files aswell.

:)

nigelh92, Aug 13, 2015
  2. Furanot Win User

Windows Migration

Hi!

I recently migrated my Windows 10 64bit OS from my HDD to my SSD. I met a whole lot of problems, but using Corsair's SSD software and some SATA (un)plugging, I managed it. Windows booted from my SSD, furiously fast. But I've encountered a serious problem.
    Every now and then I get random freezes, and the screen shows only 1 color (different each time). After this, the computer automatically restarts. I dont think this is a blue screen, however, now as I've been writing this and my trouble-computer has been locked,
    it has not freezed. It doesn't freeze when I don't use it, which is odd. At once I start any program, it blacks out again and restarts. I cannot really use my computer, because this happens minutes, sometimes seconds after I enter Windows and start using it.
    Do any of you know how to fix this?

Furanot, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 anniversary update fails with 0x80070057 error.

Windows 10 Annivarsary update freeze and lock up when drive C:\ is an SSD disk.

I tried to update both from the update tool as well as from an ISO DVD, but during the final phase of the update - when SATA drivers were loaded, the update would randomly freeze.

I tried three different SSD drives. Same result on all, but at random points in the final phase.

Then I installed an ordinary HDD, and everything worked just fine.

After that, I image-copied the HDD over to the SSD and it did boot 3 out of 4 times, but would always freeze randomly at some point. No error messages - nothing. Just stone dead.

Then I did a clean Anniversary install (not an upgrade) on another HDD and image copied it to the SSD. Same problem. The SSD would boot most of the time, and then after a minute or two - randomly freeze.

Copying Windows 10 (non anniversary) back to the same SSD driver were ok. No problems to run and no freeze.

To me, is seems that the Anniversary upgrade has some synchronisation, timing, DMA or intermittent random IRQ problems with the way it handles the speed with which SSD drives deliver data over the SATA interface.

I also tried disabling AHCI in the BIOS, but that didn't help either.

My PC is a DELL Latitude E6430 and I have never had any issues with it. I have had the SSD (a Kingston 540GB) running in the same machine for almost a year using "normal" Windows 10. No problems.

This is definitely a Windows Anniversary driver issue.

VikingViking, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Random freeze of OS - SSD ?

Upgraded from win 8.1 pro, and my laptop freezes for a minute also (noticed when opening programs like photoshop, sometimes window explorer, chrome browser). In win 8.1 everything was running fine. But I do not have an ssd installed.

tubeboggan, Aug 19, 2015
  5. What drive do you have (Make/Model)? Is there a possible firmware update that updates the drive for possible fixes?

GamerwGlasses, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Hitachi HTS727575A9E364
    I don't see any firmware updates.
    Also, was working fine in win 8.1.
    btw, it just froze again for a minute while just browsing internet.

tubeboggan, Aug 19, 2015
  7. XweAponX Win User
    The Hitachi is the SSD drive, or the HDD? I have an old Gateway I just had to run the HDD tool on. I don't know why this would happen with an SSD drive at all. I use a Hybrid drive in my Windows 8 system. Maybe it is just a fluke with the brand or type of device.

If that drive was in another machine, perhaps there were some partitions left on it from there that is bogging you up? Whenever I use a used drive for a new system, I zero-fill the drive and leave it unformatted before I install the new OS, and then I tell the Windows installer to create new partitions. The only way I see your system not booting is if you had some partitions left on the drive. If it was in a Mac, it would show up as not initialized, and you still would have to zero-fill the drive.

XweAponX, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Random freeze of OS - SSD ?

Not sure if you are replying to me or the OG poster. But the this is the original hdd that came with the laptop (hp pavilion dv6) It had 7 first, then upgraded to 8.1, which worked fine. Then upgraded to 10 and this started happening.
    May try a clean install later.

tubeboggan, Aug 20, 2015
  9. nigelh92 Win User
    This is a thread about my problem not yours tube..
    Please create your own thread.. lol

nigelh92, Aug 21, 2015
  10. brummyfan Win User
    Hi nigelh92,
    I suspect that your V300 is at fault, I would suggest you to invest in a reliable SSD like Crucial, Sandisk or Samsung.

brummyfan, Aug 21, 2015
  11. nigelh92 Win User
    Do you think a firmware upgrade of the SSD might resolve the issue ?

nigelh92, Aug 22, 2015
  12. XweAponX Win User
    Now Now, behave hehe. I was asking OP, but if anyone else is having the issue, may as well deal with em both in here.

XweAponX, Aug 23, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

I didn't want to say that, Hitachi for me have always been second rate storage. Bit it's what IBM/Lenovo use. I'm wondering if OP's SSD drive came from a laptop or other branded machine?

XweAponX, Aug 23, 2015
  14. XweAponX Win User
    If there is one available, try it. Both OP and anyone else. You say it's an intermittent failure, the machine does boot sometimes? Do any firmware updates you can. I have had iPhones and iPads and Droid Tablets that had this problem, usually a firmware restore or update fixes it.

XweAponX, Aug 23, 2015
  15. brummyfan Win User
    It might help resolve the problem, backup your system and important data on an external hard drive as a precaution, use their tool from here after checking your current F/W version.
    http://www.kingston.com/en/support/t...V300_603fw_Win

brummyfan, Aug 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Random freeze of OS - SSD ? - Similar Threads - Random freeze SSD

2. ssd with os died

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ssd with os died: My pc has 2 SSD one with 500 gig that has my windows 10 and another 1TB with my steam library. My ssd with my OS died. I don't have a CD rom reader on my pc. How do I put windows 10 on my other ssd so that I can play my games? I can't download windows because my key is on my...
  3. Random Freezes & Lockups. SSD Issue??

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Freezes & Lockups. SSD Issue??: Hi folks In February this year, I bought a new 250GB SSD and a copy of Win 10 Pro. This was installed on the new drive. Version 2004 Build 19037.630 Since then I've had random freezes and lockups - usually (almost exclusively I must say) whilst surfing the web using Google...
  4. ssd freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd freezing: so basically I'm having an issue here like my laptop starts to freeze and lag and hold when i open tabs on a browser or run any sort of program idk whats the problem i tried downloading the link power management but it still is not helping and also sometimes when i unplug its...
  5. Migrating OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  6. Move OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS to SSD: Move win10 from my HDD to SSD operating system only The SSD in smaller but it is 500 mg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-os-to-ssd/2a46d103-f634-4cd0-9230-c58104c63769
  7. Random freezing of windows while charging due to SSD

Random freezing of windows while charging due to SSD: I got Acer Predator Helios 300 with windows 10 home,i5-core 8th gen,8 GB RAM,128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD with 4 GB Graphics Recently i got stuck with my windows 10 and i have to install new windows copy from the Microsoft official website. I got the new windows through a USB...
  8. Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals

Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals: I just bought the MSI Cyberpower PC and booted it up and I have been having this problem all night. I have tried the following: Updating Windows Updating the drivers for the mouse (it just says I have the best version) Restarting the computer Unplugging and plugging the...
  9. Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals: I just bought the MSI Cyberpower PC and booted it up and I have been having this problem all night. I have tried the following: Updating Windows Updating the drivers for the mouse (it just says I have the best version) Restarting the computer Unplugging and plugging the...
  10. OS freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    OS freezes: Hi! 2 days ago I stated experiencing constant freezing with windows 10. After a few forced restarts, the problem escalated to BSOD that appeared after 10 minutes of very light use. Diagnostic tool disabled the antivirus process, and although BSOD has stopped, the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. corsair ssd windows freeze randomly