Windows 10: Random freezes after upgrading

Discus and support Random freezes after upgrading in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When Win10 first came out, I upgraded my Win8.1 PC and ended up having an issue where the PC would freeze up. I looked around for help online, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MReprogle, May 1, 2016.

1. MReprogle Win User

Random freezes after upgrading

When Win10 first came out, I upgraded my Win8.1 PC and ended up having an issue where the PC would freeze up. I looked around for help online, and found that it might be my Nvidia graphics card, so instead of upgrading, I decided to just wait a bit to upgrade.

Months later, I decided that it would be a good time to upgrade, and I bought a brand new Nvidia GeForce 730 that was reccommended for Windows 10. I upgraded via a clean install with no issues and figured that I was on my way. Little did I know, the freezing issues crept back and now I can hardly use the computer without it freezing up. I feel like it has actually gotten worse since doing all the necessary Windows 10 upgrades as well as downloaded the newest drivers for my video card, directly from Nvidia.

One other thing that I find strange is that the behavior of the PC after being frozen. After frozen, I have to do a hard shutdown of my PC, but if I try to restart the PC directly afterwards, the PC doesn't even POST. Nothing comes up on the screen, and there is no HD activity. I could leave it there for hours with no luck. However, if I leave it off for 10-15mins, the PC posts and boots perfectly fine. Also, I have tried to go into the BIOS upon startup and it never tries. I might get a PS2 keyboard to see if that has better luck than my USB, but right now the only way that I can get in the BIOS is by resetting my CMOS. My BIOS is running as legacy and I am at such a loss with everything else that I am wondering if I need to switch it to UEFI or something... I know it is probably a reach..

Also, if I switch back to Win8.1, I have absolute NONE of these issues. My computer can be left on for months at a time without problem. With Win10, it is mere minutes before it takes a dump. *Sad

:)

MReprogle, May 1, 2016

2. Random Freezing on Windows 10

I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I had these random freezing issues when I had Windows 8.1 and thought upgrading would solve the problem, but, it didn't. There is no exact time these freezings happen. Sometimes after boot, it is about 40 minutes after, sometimes 3 hours after.

If you need more information or have any answers please tell me!

FinnishArmy, May 1, 2016
  3. 10bees Win User
    Random freezes after upgrading to Windows 10

In case anyone stumbles across this post and has the same problem, I eventually (after ~11 months of pain and ****) found out that it was the Realtek audio driver which I was installing from the Acer website which was causing the problem. Even the newest
    driver from microsoft's-driver-catalogue-download-place wasn't working, so I uninstalled the driver (device manager -> Sound, video and game controllers -> Realtek High Definition Audio), ticking the "delete files" box, restarted, and that solved my problem.
    Nearly an entire year's worth of problems were solved this easily. God, I feel stupid. Hope this helps anyone else out there.

10bees, May 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems. The first bit's boring, but necessary for people to help you: Please complete your system specs.
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Could you please look at your Reliability History and see if there are any reports that correlate with your freezes?
    (Type 'reli' in the Cortana search box)

Meanwhile (and others will hopefully come along and suggest ideas) :

Semi-random idea - try disabling fast startup (Power Buttons, Change settings...)

Does this happen in Safe Mode?

And if not try a clean boot:
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, May 1, 2016
  5. MReprogle Win User
    Thanks for the heads up. I just updated my profile and my specs are now shown.

I tried a clean boot, and Windows 10 still ended up crashing just as quickly as it normally did. I am currently typing this under Safe Mode, which it seems to not have any issues (yet)..

I actually turned off hibernation after installing Windows 10, as I always do after a clean install. I found that this turns off fast startup when you do this, so I can rule that one out for the time being. I even went into Power Options and changed my performance to Maximum and turned off Link State Power Management after I was running out of options (it still ended up crashing anyways).

As for the Reliability History, it seems that all of the shutdowns occur due to a 'Hardware error'. I pasted the report, just in case anyone has seen this before.

Source
    Windows

Summary
    Hardware error

Date
    ‎4/‎29/‎2016 6:48 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    Code: 117
    Parameter 1: ffffe000815e14c0
    Parameter 2: fffff8016a635d4c
    Parameter 3: 0
    Parameter 4: 3d8
    OS version: 10_0_10586
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: LKD_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrVTR:15_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

As for the particular driver that I am using, I am running the most current version that is supposed to be for Windows 10, which is 364.72.

MReprogle, May 2, 2016
  6. MReprogle Win User
    Also, right after I posted my last comment, Windows 10 froze up in safe mode..

MReprogle, May 2, 2016
  7. MReprogle Win User
    And, even more strangeness.. I let the computer off for awhile and booted into BIOS with an old PS2 keyboard, and though I was able to get in, my computer froze up again after I had been it it for awhile.

I know it sounds weird, but this very same thing happened to me the last time I tried upgrading (when W10 was released). After I put Windows 8.1 back on the computer and gave up on Win10, everything was back to normal and never had my PC freeze up. In fact, it had been on for over a month straight during that time with no issues.

MReprogle, May 2, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

If it did the same with Windows 8.1 i would say it was definitely hardware related because it also did it in safe mode. Was this safe mode with networking or without ? Hardware error is also pointing towards the NVIDIA Driver, but usually in safe mode it uses a basic Microsoft driver. Quite strange issue indeed. May still be some driver issues.

When upgrading did you install Windows 10 Drivers from motherboard site also check for BIOS updates ?

jds63, May 2, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    Make and model of the Power Supply ?

jds63, May 2, 2016
  10. MReprogle Win User
    I never had any issues in Windows 8.1, so I feel that it is strange that Windows 10 brings upon all of this out of nowhere. This is my second attempt at W10 with the same results. Safe Mode was with networking on. I want to point the the Nvidia driver, but after my PC just froze up while looking through the BIOS, I am not sure what to look at now. I don't know why Windows 10 would have anything to do with my BIOS, but once again, I don't have these issues via Window 7 or 8..

MReprogle, May 2, 2016
  11. MReprogle Win User
    It is an Antec TruPower Trio TP3-650

MReprogle, May 2, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Yes that is the strange part of it working well in Windows 8. Try Safe mode without network to see if it happens. I was thinking about voltage issues with the PSU or Low amperage i am not positive this is an issue since it reacts with Windows 8 and the same Graphics card.

Another possibility can be RAM, Need to check memory, if you can use Windows Memory Diagnostics, use it first, another suggestion is Memtest Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Again although Windows 8 works well, Windows 10 can be different on this memory issue. Updating a BIOS can help on issues and improvements for newer hardware and OS. Try a different NVIDIA Driver, older version ? There has been crashing issues with newer drivers for NVIDIA. Try 362.00 NVIDIA Driver i believe last known one with no issues, at least for me and what i have seen here.

Advanced Driver Search | NVIDIA

Sort of a low amperage Power Supply for a 650W only being 19amps on the +12v rail. The Graphics card GT 730 although needing a minimum 300W PSU and 20amps on the +12V Rail. Not saying a cause, just an observation, it's not a decent PSU model.

Random freezes after upgrading [​IMG]

I see motherboard's last BIOS was 2011 and last updated system drivers were Windows 8.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3423#dl

jds63, May 2, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, thinking of your freeze in Safe Mode, can you check your reliability history for that particular report?

The first
    Bucket ID: LKD_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrVTR:15_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
    is obviously an Nvidia-related one.

So if some part of the Nvidia driver was still loaded in Safe Mode (although you're not then using the Nvidia driver) uninstalling your Nvidia driver completely and testing your system in Safe Mode may demonstrate whether there is any other issue.

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  14. MReprogle Win User
    I feel stupid for having not looked at the CPU temps, but while in BIOS the CPU temperature popped out at me, as it was getting all the way up to 80C. I didn't have any issues with Windows 8.1 shutting down, but as soon as I moved to Windows 10, it kept having these issues (very strange), which is why I didn't pay too much attention at first.

Based on suggestions regarding the power supply, I figured it was a decent time to upgrade and get a better one, so I grabbed a 750W one along with a new heatsink/fan for the CPU and put it all in with new thermal paste. The old thermal paste looked terrible and if anyone is having the same issues and doesn't want to replace the PSU and heatink, make sure to check on your thermal paste! It had been quite some time since I built the PC, and it looked ragged.

Now, with the new PSU, heatsink/fan and some fresh thermal paste, my PC has been working nonstop for days now. Thank you to everyone with suggestions on fixes!

MReprogle, May 9, 2016
  15. jds63 Win User
    Glad you solved this ! 80c is very warm for an idle PC, this was one area i did not think to mention because the PC would usually shutdown once the temps exceeded the rated (TJ Max) temps of the CPU. Your mention was the PC was randomly freezing maybe the PSU also the cause. I did not know how long it was since you built this PC, although i recall motherboard not being a newer model.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Random freezes after upgrading - Similar Threads - Random freezes upgrading

2. Pc freezing after cpu upgrade.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc freezing after cpu upgrade.: Hi,I upgraded my processor from ryzen 3 1200 to ryzen 5 5500.i fresh installed windows updated all drivers updated bios updated graphics drivers.but my pc is freezing after every 2-3 second.it showing graphics drivers crashed.i have msi a320m pro vd/s motherboard.Please help...
  3. Pc freezing after cpu upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc freezing after cpu upgrade.: Hi,I upgraded my processor from ryzen 3 1200 to ryzen 5 5500.i fresh installed windows updated all drivers updated bios updated graphics drivers.but my pc is freezing after every 2-3 second.it showing graphics drivers crashed.i have msi a320m pro vd/s motherboard.Please help...
  4. Windows 11 freeze after upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 freeze after upgrade: Hi,Just recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 and I'm getting the weirdest freezes I've ever seen in my life. My specs : Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, MSI RX 6700 XT GAMING X 12GB, Corsair 650W PSU. It has been 2 days since I upgraded to Windows 11 and everything seems to work...
  5. Windows 10 randomly freezing after upgrading from windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 randomly freezing after upgrading from windows 8.1: so i recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1 and when I was on windows 8 I didn't have any problems, but since updating to windows 10, the computer randomly freezes after being on for a period of time. there isn't a blue screen of death or anything like that, it...
  6. Random freezes + bootup issues after

Random freezes + bootup issues after: Dear friends, I'm new to this forum and would like to seek help to my problem. Been experiencing random freezes, sometimes with a blue screen, sometimes green, sometimes pink even and many times just running lines on the edge of the screen when freezing. I'm not running any...
  7. Hard-freeze after Win10 upgrade

Hard-freeze after Win10 upgrade: Hi all, You were all so helpful in getting me through my last Win10 experience that I decided to give it another go *Smile I just finished upgrading my kids' PC from Win7 to Win10, and since the upgrade the system has been hard-freezing -- no responsiveness from mouse...
  8. Random BSODs after upgrade

Random BSODs after upgrade: Hello everyone! I have a pretty old computer, 775 socket which I recently upgraded by replacing my memory and CPU, adding 3x2 GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz and Xeon E5440 (771 to 775 mod). Since then I have experienced random BSODs where some of them had minidumps and...
  9. BSoD after random freeze

BSoD after random freeze: I'm posting on behalf of a friend of mine. I've attached a DM log from his most recent BS and set my PC specs to reflect his. While he was telling me that he Blue Screened, I asked him a few questions to see what he was doing at the time, but he told me that he couldn't...
  10. Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD Freezes Randomly after SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD Freezes Randomly after SSD Upgrade: Hi, I recently upgraded my Lenovo Yoga 15-IBD to an SSD, with a complete reinstall of Windows. Everything was working great; boot times were quicker and the system was far more responsive. However, the computer randomly freezes now, without any warning. I have to do a hard...