Windows 10: Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers)

Discus and support Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; 1) make a brand new restore point 2) turn on windows verifier 3) keep windows verifier on for 36 hours of typical computer use 4) for any new bsod... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by buncieboy, Jul 24, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers)

1) make a brand new restore point
    2) turn on windows verifier
    3) keep windows verifier on for 36 hours of typical computer use
    4) for any new bsod please post a new zip:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Aug 16, 2017
  2. buncieboy Win User

I used DDU and nvidias website 3 days ago to update the driver.
    With any new crashes should I also upload the memory.dmp as well?

buncieboy, Aug 16, 2017
  3. zbook New Member
    The Nvidia driver was just uninstalled and re-installed. The memory dump has no defined period. So a memory dump file today has an unknown look back period. Spectrum may have not seen that the Nvidia graphics was just uninstalled and reinstalled and that there were no new mini dumps indicating that the replacement driver had misbehaved. If there is another mini dump indicating Nvidia as the misbehaving driver then it can be replaced again. However if that happens you may want to consider a clean install with a vanilla installation.

At this time please create a brand new restore point.
    Then reactivate windows driver verifer.
    If there are new misbehaving drivers you will troubleshoot with sending the new zip files.

zbook, Aug 16, 2017
  4. buncieboy Win User

Just went to set up verifier and it was already turned on, I restarted it to make sure all new drivers were being checked, now shall I just wait?

I won't be using the computer for a few days so sorry if there are no updates.

Finally it may be worth noting the crash yesterday had similar symptoms to before the screen completely froze, but audio kept playing as normal (no skipping/frozen audio) until the PC crashed (5-10 seconds later).

buncieboy, Aug 17, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Windows driver verifier was used to find misbehaving drivers.
    The drivers were uninstalled or uninstalled/reinstalled.
    Once the misbehaving drivers are fixed an additional 36 hours is used for evaluating the stability of the computer environment.
    If there are no further bsod then windows driver verifer testing will be completed and windows driver verifier is turned off.
    So if you can estimate the duration of time from when it was last turned that will be useful in determining when to complete the testing.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-c48669e4c983

Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

zbook, Aug 17, 2017
  6. buncieboy Win User
    You know the story by this point, straight crash this time.

buncieboy, Aug 17, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Which razer product had you used or are you using now?

Open device manager and look for the information below:

rzpnk.sys Razer Overlay Support Software | Official Razer Support
    If you don't find it within device manager look in control panel and if it is not there open file explorer and search for rzpnk.sys

This driver has already been replaced.

There have been multiple drivers that have been replaced.

Are all of your files backed up?
    Have you made an image of the drive?
    Are you able to delete the partitions, format the drive, make an unallocated drive, install a new windows 10 version 1703 as a "vanilla installation"? That is operating system only with updates and no drivers other than what is downloaded during windows updates?

Addendum:

The complete thread was just reviewed.
    Memtest86+ ordered ---------------------------> no images of the results
    Prime95 CPU testing ordered ----------------> no images of the results
    Furmark GPU testing ordered ----------------> no images of the results
    voltage checks ordered ------------------------> no reporting of the results

Please turn off Windows driver verifier.
    Please perform a clean install "vanilla installation" (delete partitions, format, make unallocated drive, install windows 10 version 1703 with only windows updates of drivers. Do not install any component drivers, applications, or files.

zbook, Aug 17, 2017
  8. buncieboy Win User

I use a razer naga mouse and black widow keyboard. I tried (and believe I succeeded) to uninstall and reinstall all razer divers and software when told to last week.

As explained memtest86+ had a power cut but passed 14 passes with no errors.
    prime95 results were typed up but can be screen shoted.
    i uploaded the images from furmark in an earlier post.
    i can do voltage checks if needed, however it was ordered before we thought heat was the issue.

If I do this install will I have to back up all files and applications, and then work without installing any of them?
    Is this necessary if I cleaned installed under 6 months ago, and have done them before?

buncieboy, Aug 18, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    A clean install as a vanilla install is needed with so many misbehaving drivers.
    The hardware needs to be checked to rule in /rule out hardware problems as a cause of the bsod.
    For the vanilla installation windows can be updated and windows can install drivers but there should be no 3rd party drivers installed and no applications installed.
    The aim is to find what is preventing a stable computer environment.
    For each hardware test we need to have images in the thread.

zbook, Aug 18, 2017
  10. buncieboy Win User
    Right so how do we do this?

buncieboy, Aug 19, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    1) backup all files
    2) make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    3) place the Macrium backup image onto another drive
    4) find a flash drive that you can format
    5) create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    6) make sure that you can boot using a USB drive
    7) perform a clean install (delete partitions, format, create an unallocated drive > install windows 10 version 1703)
    See this link for text and images:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    8) do NOT download any drivers
    9) allow windows 10 version 1703 to install default drivers
    10) do not install any applications
    11) plan to be without applications for 2 weeks so that there is ample time to test the stability of the computer environment

zbook, Aug 20, 2017
  12. buncieboy Win User
    Working without any applications for 2 weeks will not basically be possible, as thats all I use the PC for, and I need it for work related things, are there any other steps we can take?

buncieboy, Aug 20, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

The testing can be done quicker but the observation period is used to give ample time to see problems.
    What time frame is manageable?

zbook, Aug 20, 2017
  14. buncieboy Win User
    Maybe a day, but I use the computer for multiple different things on a near daily basis. As I said it could be done, but I would struggle greatly to use it without any applications, and so it would have to be an absolute last resort.

buncieboy, Aug 20, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    The memtest86+ can be done overnight for 8 or more passes.
    The more passes the better.
    There is 8 GB RAM.
    Memtest86+ takes 1 -2 hours /GB RAM
    Just 1 error is a fail.
    It there is a fail you can abort testing.
    Please make sure that you post images for every test result into the thread.
    For Memtest86+ please use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.

The bios is from 2014.
    Please check to make sure it is up to date.

Download and install either:
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
    HWiNFO - Download

Post images of the results into the thead.
    How many DIMM are there and what is the RAM on each DIMM?
    Is it single or dual channel?

For the clean install it is best to have the least amount of drivers and applications so that there are no confounding factors in the troubleshooting.

Which applications must you have for work keeping in mind that for the troubleshooting you will want the cleanest testing environment.

zbook, Aug 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers) - Similar Threads - Random freezes BSODs

2. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  3. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  4. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Random freezing - Driver Verifier BSOD

Random freezing - Driver Verifier BSOD: So my PC has been having random, unexplained crashes for several months, but almost always when idle and when I'm not around - so I never get to see the BSOD. I never find anything in Event Viewer. Today I ran Driver Verifier which finally forced the faulting driver to BSOD...
  6. Random BSOD and freezing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Random BSOD and freezing: I purchased a PC a month or so ago and have been experiencing random BSOD and freezing. It seems to happen any time as I can't find a trigger. I'm not doing anything specific other than every day use. The BSOD seems to happen at least a couple times a week and the freezing,...
  7. Random freezes and BSODs

Random freezes and BSODs: I have a Sony VAIO laptop, model SVE14A290X, which had Windows 8.1 installed on it. I waited until late December 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10, and followed all of the instructions and driver downloads given on the Sony website.But since then I've been having regular freezes...
  8. Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Random Freezes/BSoDs?: Hello everyone. I have recently been receiving constant freezes (hard freezes, can't do anything, computer is still running but Gpu fans stop, monitor freezes, controls lock up, etc.) and BSoDs. To add some backstory, this just randomly started happening about 4 months after...
  9. Random freeze and BSOD

Random freeze and BSOD: Hi, i have random freeze and BSOD with various errors. dumps as requested by stickythread are attached. i will provide more dumps when the problem will happen again. Thank you. The problem was caused by the motherboard (BIOS P1.90), it seems that does not...
  10. Bsod/freeze at random

Bsod/freeze at random: at random times my pc will get bsod or just freeze and i need to restart. 90% of the times i turn the pc on it happens after 5-10 minutes and can then be good for several hours later. don't know what causes this, anyone have an idea? 82593

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4489882 crashes pc