Windows 10: Random Freezing (non-responsive) that requires PSU switch reset

Discus and support Random Freezing (non-responsive) that requires PSU switch reset in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been troubleshooting this problem for months and I cannot figure out what's going on. Problem: The computer randomly freezes and becomes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lhf8, Aug 15, 2017.

1. lhf8 Win User

Random Freezing (non-responsive) that requires PSU switch reset

I have been troubleshooting this problem for months and I cannot figure out what's going on.

Problem:

The computer randomly freezes and becomes unresponsive. It also makes or horrific sound (like loud glitching static). Every time this happens, I have to flip the switch on my PSU to reboot. This happens while internet browsing, leaving the computer at idle (with minimal applications running) and ironically has never happened while gaming.

I'm running windows 10 and have this hardware

I5 2500K
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia 770 4GB
    MSI P67A-G43
    Kingston SSD 120GB

Things I've tried:

At first I thought it was audio drivers not playing nicely and noticed that Nvidia constantly had installed drivers thanks to windows 10. I disabled the Nvidia driver and left the HD Audio driver enabled. That didn't work.

I tried various memory tests, Memtest86, windows memtest etc.

I even did a fresh install of windows 10 and that "seemed" to help but the problem's back more than ever. With windows 10 auto driver install it still could be driver related. I even disabled the feature in windows 10 preventing driver downloads and installs but that doesn't seem to prevent W10 from installing more driver updates. I even changed the regedit to prevent this and W10 went and updated the registry for me.

Here's where I'm stuck.

Since I don't get error logs (that I'm aware of) I don't really know how to troubleshoot here. Most problems tend to go towards software but I don't know how to pin it down. If it's hardware, it's a strange failure mode.

Could it be a kernel failure? How can I test this?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

:)

2. Endwar Win User

Windows 10 keeps freezing my computer randomly

I had random freeze twice a week.

also have quad core but since I put 750 GTX that consume less PSU power Win 10 is stable.

I think that DX12 that Win 10 use when activate his advance functions consume more power then is should.

Since my graphic card need 300W PSu and do not have external power supply cinnector I think that problem is in DX12 support and power usage

Endwar, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Failure in WIn 10 reinstall

Have run the system file checker. This did not find any integrity violations.

Applications or desktop continue to freeze at random and become non-responsive. The mouse pointer does however continue to move for an additional few seconds but then also freezes in place. If left in this state, the system goes to a BSOD and a DPC Watchdog
    violation within a few minutes. Otherwise a hard reset is necessary. This occurs a couple of times per hour at least, sometimes in twenty minutes sometimes in twenty seconds.

Have unplugged all devices and printers. Updated drivers. substituted mouse and keyboard. Used different USBs. Updated system. Updated BIOS. Behavior remains the same.

Paul Pernambuco-Wise, Aug 15, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

In 99.9% cases it's hardware failure. Lack of power, overheating etc. With OS/SW/drivers failure, you'd get BSOD/GSOD errors and would show in error logs.

CountMike, Aug 15, 2017
  5. lhf8 Win User
    That would make sense but any suggestions on narrowing it down?

I just got a new PSU not too long ago because my old one crapped out. If power failure, you'd think it'd be a random restart, not freeze.

Doesn't "seem" like HDD failure, RAM I've "tested" doesn't mean it's not it.

If I had to guess, I'd say Mobo failure but would sure like to confirm before swapping that out...

6. lhf8 Win User
    I'm still encountering this lovely bug...if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

lhf8, Jan 1, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    This is a log collector that is used in another forum. Please run it and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Random Freezing (non-responsive) that requires PSU switch reset - Similar Threads - Random Freezing non

2. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.: I am having completely random freezes to my desktop. The screen will freeze in place, sound cuts from speakers, and it requires a hard restart in order to end it. What could be the causes, and how to fix it.PC Specs:i7 4790Asrock H81m HDS 1150Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB...
  3. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.: I am having completely random freezes to my desktop. The screen will freeze in place, sound cuts from speakers, and it requires a hard restart in order to end it. What could be the causes, and how to fix it.PC Specs:i7 4790Asrock H81m HDS 1150Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB...
  4. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Taskbar non-responsive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  6. Taskbar non-responsive.

Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  7. Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard

Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC v1809 on a touchscreen PC.This PC came with a piece of equipment my company purchased, and when it was installed, the touchscreen keyboard worked fine; it popped up when you entered a text input field, or when you pressed the button...
  8. Windows random freezes - no response via ALT/TAB/DEL or Reset Button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows random freezes - no response via ALT/TAB/DEL or Reset Button: Hello Everyone, My Windows randomly freezes, and I get no response from trying Alt-Tab-Del, or by the Reset button on the front of my case. My only option is to power off, and back on. Windows Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) I've attached the logs here. My System Details:...
  9. AC Odyssey Random Freeze while in-game (Hard-reset required)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AC Odyssey Random Freeze while in-game (Hard-reset required): Good day Im running Windows 10 64-bit Version 1903. So i have played AC Odyssey for 400+ hours and in that time i've only had 3 crashes. The first two were CTD with no error messages but they were minor and they were weeks apart between both errors and put it down to...
  10. New SSD - partition query and non-response/freezing problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD - partition query and non-response/freezing problems: Hello there. I'm new and not a computer expert. I recently upgraded my Lenovo laptop (B50-80) by adding more memory 4GB to 16GB, and a new SSD (old was 128GB - new is 525GB from Crucial) - so that I can run some music programmes more efficiently. The memory installation...