Windows 10: Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is.

Discus and support Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Alright, this is a long journey that has yet to end so feel free to read my original post(pasted below). TLDR: Computer was hard resetting, then it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GrantBrinson, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is.

Alright, this is a long journey that has yet to end so feel free to read my original post(pasted below).

TLDR: Computer was hard resetting, then it started turning off and not on again(fans spinning but no response or display), then windows got all funky as did my GPU(but only temporarily). here is a screen cap of my windows event viewer which is the most useful tool i can find(let me know if you want more info)

Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is. 71372a4c-b4c0-4dc4-8567-49008f286282?upload=true.png

The arrow is where I'm assuming the restart happened. This is a log of one of the times where the computer turned off and not back on again(fans spinning and lights on, but no response until I reset the power supply)

Heres the main story with all the details:

Over the past 2 weeks, my build has been randomly black screening. For a few months, it was completely solid until I got back from a vacation and a week later it's doing this. I traced the problem in windows event viewer and found multiple errors, there is a critical error(kernel power event ID 41), the regular errors are Distributed com ID 10016, and Kernel event tracing ID 2.

It started out that the computer would just power off and reboot itself, but then it would power off and stay that way with fans spinning until I powered off the power supply. Then it changed and started freezing the display for a solid 30 seconds and THEN it would black screen.

I ended up getting a new power supply(did nothing), reinstalling windows using fresh start(did nothing), reinstalling windows again(the hard way- did nothing), scanned HDD, SSD, and ram(no problems identified)...

Finally, one day I powered on and, no video output(2 monitors one HDMI, main one DisplayPort), fans spin and it powers on( It started normally as I was able to sign in and perform web searches by muscle memory, and checking account search history on my phone, just no video output). Turns out the HDMI port on my GPU was the only port sending video signal, so I unplugged my main monitor and then windows started and said it was repairing my boot drive, it then promptly failed repairs and continued to boot normally. I decided to switch which port my GPU was plugged into and boom, suddenly I could use the display port and HDMI outputs on the GPU(does this make any sense? still getting black screens though). Finally, I send my motherboard in for RMA and Asus just sent it back saying they "weren't able to reproduce symptoms". I just reinstalled the mobo and its still black screening. What could cause this???

Thanks for any help in advance! (My first time on this forum, so let me know if I'm doing something wrong)

System specs are:

ryzen 5 1500x

asus rog Strix b350-f

evga 550w 80+gold PSU

16gb team group ddr4 memory

128gb Kingston SSD(boot drive)

2tb barracuda HDD

xfx rx480 4gb RS

:)

GrantBrinson, Jul 29, 2018

2. Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is.

Alright, this is a long journey that has yet to end so feel free to read my original post(pasted below).

TLDR: Computer was hard resetting, then it started turning off and not on again(fans spinning but no response or display), then windows got all funky as did my GPU(but only temporarily). here is a screen cap of my windows event viewer which is the most useful
    tool i can find(let me know if you want more info)

Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is. 71372a4c-b4c0-4dc4-8567-49008f286282?upload=true.png

The arrow is where I'm assuming the restart happened. This is a log of one of the times where the computer turned off and not back on again(fans spinning and lights on, but no response until I reset the power supply)

Heres the main story with all the details:

Over the past 2 weeks, my build has been randomly black screening. For a few months, it was completely solid until I got back from a vacation and a week later it's doing this. I traced the problem in windows event viewer and found multiple errors, there
    is a critical error(kernel power event ID 41), the regular errors are Distributed com ID 10016, and Kernel event tracing ID 2.

It started out that the computer would just power off and reboot itself, but then it would power off and stay that way with fans spinning until I powered off the power supply. Then it changed and started freezing the display for a solid 30 seconds and THEN
    it would black screen.

I ended up getting a new power supply(did nothing), reinstalling windows using fresh start(did nothing), reinstalling windows again(the hard way- did nothing), scanned HDD, SSD, and ram(no problems identified)...

Finally, one day I powered on and, no video output(2 monitors one HDMI, main one DisplayPort), fans spin and it powers on( It started normally as I was able to sign in and perform web searches by muscle memory, and checking account search history on my phone,
    just no video output). Turns out the HDMI port on my GPU was the only port sending video signal, so I unplugged my main monitor and then windows started and said it was repairing my boot drive, it then promptly failed repairs and continued to boot normally.
    I decided to switch which port my GPU was plugged into and boom, suddenly I could use the display port and HDMI outputs on the GPU(does this make any sense? still getting black screens though). Finally, I send my motherboard in for RMA and Asus just sent it
    back saying they "weren't able to reproduce symptoms". I just reinstalled the mobo and its still black screening. What could cause this???

Thanks for any help in advance! (My first time on this forum, so let me know if I'm doing something wrong)

System specs are:

ryzen 5 1500x

asus rog Strix b350-f

evga 550w 80+gold PSU

16gb team group ddr4 memory

128gb Kingston SSD(boot drive)

2tb barracuda HDD

xfx rx480 4gb RS

GrantBrinson, Oct 5, 2018
  3. xBruce88x Win User
    Contest! Win Hard Reset!

Bump

No one wants Hard Reset? I'm open to other suggestions for contest ideas.

maybe i got this in the wrong section... could a mod move it to the FS/FT/WTB/Giveaway section?

xBruce88x, Oct 5, 2018
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is.

Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

Thema:

Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is.

1. Random hard resets over the past month, no idea what the cause is. - Similar Threads - Random hard resets

2. What is the root cause of the random crashes that have occurred over the past 30 days?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the root cause of the random crashes that have occurred over the past 30 days?: To start off my issue seems to occur randomly, but if I am correct both crashes occurred when using an Adobe product like Photoshop or Illustrator while also having multiple tabs of Google Chrome open. The only other applications that could have been open at the time of at...
  3. What is the root cause of the random crashes that have occurred over the past 30 days?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the root cause of the random crashes that have occurred over the past 30 days?: To start off my issue seems to occur randomly, but if I am correct both crashes occurred when using an Adobe product like Photoshop or Illustrator while also having multiple tabs of Google Chrome open. The only other applications that could have been open at the time of at...
  4. Random Blue Screens for the past two months

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Blue Screens for the past two months: Ever since the beginning of 2022 I have had very sporadic and random BSOD, every time there is a different stop code that Windows displays as the reason and I cannot replicate the BSOD with anything specific to try and narrow down what changes are helping or not. Im getting...
  5. BSOD, no idea whats causing it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD, no idea whats causing it.: minidump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OQCb6QMNRxe3uyKcSUei2yhCvyHdN8wb/view?usp=sharing pc randomly gives bsod error, I've run windows memory diagnostics and everything was clear, no error came up, I've tried updating audio, network, GPU, etc drivers but nothing...
  6. BSOD , no idea what is causing it

BSOD , no idea what is causing it: Computer crash today and no idea what caused it. Can you help me please, below are the dumps https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiy8lx3nt7grhyu/AACHg6CuPo2_I-Udc6zXXY7ta?dl=0 Thank you so so much!...
  7. Any idea what's causing this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any idea what's causing this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Spectre696 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/heqf6o/any_idea_whats_causing_this/
  8. Not sure what's causing this.. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not sure what's causing this.. Any ideas?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Impactplxyz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/enpojc/not_sure_whats_causing_this_any_ideas/
  9. Numerous issues over the past few months

Numerous issues over the past few months: I have a custom built PC that I've had for about three years, but over the past few months I've been getting strange BSOD's. When I leave my PC turned off for a few hours, the first time I boot it up it will crash after a completely random period of time. After it restarts,...
  10. Multiple BSODs over the past month. Seems to crash at random

Multiple BSODs over the past month. Seems to crash at random: Heres my minidumps: Attachment 35760 Specs: i5 4690k @ stock speeds, GTX 980ti @ 1416mhz (Gaming 6G Custom cooler by MSI), 24gb of DDR3 (I did a MEMTest on this and it completed fine. Peripherals: Steelseries Rival gaming mouse, Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid, Logitech C270...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can bad ssd cause pc resets 2019