Windows 10: Random Shutdowns

Discus and support Random Shutdowns in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Laptop, Dell Studio 1555, Previously running Win7 Ultimate and had no issues regarding random shutdowns. Upgraded to Win10 Pro, then wiped drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by livealoha, Aug 1, 2015.

1. livealoha Win User

Random Shutdowns

Laptop, Dell Studio 1555, Previously running Win7 Ultimate and had no issues regarding random shutdowns.

Upgraded to Win10 Pro, then wiped drive and clean installed Win10 Pro. No issues during installation. No issues with device drivers. No other software installed.

Windows 10 randomly shuts down completely. no BSOD. turned off automatic restart, still no BSOD. Random shutdowns always occurs whenever i click on something (does not matter what). Random shutdown does not occur when system is idle.

Event viewer shows only Unexpected Shutdown.

Also have 4 consistent errors Event Error 7031 Service Control manager
    User data Access_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly
    User Data Storage_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly
    Contact Data_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly
    Sync Host_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly

Any help would be appreciated.

Mahalo...(thank you)

:)

livealoha, Aug 1, 2015
  2. dustyetc Win User

windows 10 shutdown colors

Are the Windows 10 shutdown screen colors random, or is a sepia shutdown different from green, yellow or red?

dustyetc, Aug 1, 2015
  3. SadReshi Win User
    Random Shutdowns

I can try the screenshot thing but the problem with chkdsk is that my computer shuts off before it finishes

SadReshi, Aug 1, 2015
  4. wobuck Win User

Random Shutdowns

I also upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Studio 1555 64 bit Laptop (took about 9 hours !) I get random power off shut downs and have noticed they are getting less and less. I have retried each "culprit" again after powering back up some time later and it works ok with no repeat shut downs - perhaps Windows "repairs" each issue on restart ?

My Microsoft wireless keyboard, especially when typing emails in Windows Live Mail (Client) was rapidly repeating characters or leaving them out - I uninstalled all keyboards and let Windows re-install them - all seems fine now and there are even less power shutdowns. However, about an hour ago I had a power down when selecting a program from the start menu and when I restarted the laptop, it said it was repairing the disk !

It would be helpful if anyone has any ideas how to stop these power downs?

Thanks

wobuck, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Same issue on a Dell XPS L702X, which I did a clean install of Windows 10 on, from Windows 7 Home Premium. I noticed it's only when I interact with the system, and doesn't seem to happen while on the charger.

CtrlAltCnstruct, Aug 3, 2015
  6. livealoha Win User
    Thanks for sharing your similar issues regarding random shutdowns.

I have an update as well. I used the media creation tool to update my clean installation . Since i had already clean installed 3x's with the same issue occurring, (random shutdowns whenever i interact with system) i figured might as well try something else.

The process did not take very long (Assuming much faster since i have an SSD), and while i still have some random shutdowns, it is much less (actually very less) than before.

Also, i was able to install all the updates and the consistent error messages in the "System" event viewer are now gone!

Interestingly, update KB3074683 which i was not able to install (after upgrade and doing clean installations) did not appear at all! Instead, i had KB3074686. There are a lot of people indicating the same, not being able to install KB3074683.

Please note i installed the updates immediately upon "Updating" (using the media creation tool) my laptop. so, i can't say whether my issues were resolved due to "Updating" or from the updates (KB3074678 and KB307486, the rest were defender updates).

Since i have been having these "Issues" i have not tried updating any other of my laptops or my primary desktop...so i cannot compare....

FYI: Clean installed via the Media Creation Tool, using a USB Flash Drive. thinking perhaps that the image downloaded via the tool might have been "corrupted", i used the tool to recreate the USB flash drive every time (it downloads the image each time you want to create the media).

livealoha, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Random Shutdowns

1. Random Shutdowns - Similar Threads - Random Shutdowns

2. Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns: Hi. I have tried so many things to diagnose this, but my pc keeps randomly shutting down when I'm running games. It's even worse when I run a game and have discord open in the background. In the past 11 days, I have had 10 critical errors, 2 of them being in the last hour....
  3. Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns: Hi. I have tried so many things to diagnose this, but my pc keeps randomly shutting down when I'm running games. It's even worse when I run a game and have discord open in the background. In the past 11 days, I have had 10 critical errors, 2 of them being in the last hour....
  4. PC RANDOM RESTART/SHUTDOWN with no BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC RANDOM RESTART/SHUTDOWN with no BSOD: Hi so got this problem for weeks and did some trouble shooting like turning off C-State/Unchecking Fast Start up somehow it improves 2-3hours without restart mostly it is between 30mns-1hr and 30min. It started when id changed my CPU because the one i changed has problem that...
  5. PC RANDOM RESTART/SHUTDOWN with no BSOD

PC RANDOM RESTART/SHUTDOWN with no BSOD: Hi so got this problem for weeks and did some trouble shooting like turning off C-State/Unchecking Fast Start up somehow it improves 2-3hours without restart mostly it is between 30mns-1hr and 30min. It started when id changed my CPU because the one i changed has problem that...
  6. PC RANDOM RESTART/SHUTDOWN with no BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. PC have random lag spikes and starts automatically after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC have random lag spikes and starts automatically after shutdown: Recently out of nowhere my windows 11 pc starts lagging out of nowhere , after several tries , it doesnt even let me log into windows and crashes and restarts. so I installed windows 10 and This problem seem to have solved but new problem arose , whole system lags randomly...
  8. PC have random lag spikes and starts automatically after shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC have random lag spikes and starts automatically after shutdown: Recently out of nowhere my windows 11 pc starts lagging out of nowhere , after several tries , it doesnt even let me log into windows and crashes and restarts. so I installed windows 10 and This problem seem to have solved but new problem arose , whole system lags randomly...
  9. PC have random lag spikes and starts automatically after shutdown

10. windows 11 Computer Randomly Blackscreens, as in completely shutdown with no warning, and...

windows 11 Computer Randomly Blackscreens, as in completely shutdown with no warning, and...: exactly what the title says, my windows computer for some reason, randomly without warning will completely shutdown without warning, no error pop up, nothing, before it gets stuck in a restart shutdown loop with me being unable to anything except shutdown the computer with...