Windows 10: random usb device error message,mouse/touchpad not working

Discus and support random usb device error message,mouse/touchpad not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Over the last week I occasionly get a usb device not working error message, even when there is nothing plugged into a usb port. Everything is always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by alanmg, Aug 27, 2015.

1. alanmg Win User

random usb device error message,mouse/touchpad not working

Over the last week I occasionly get a usb device not working error message, even when there is nothing plugged into a usb port.
    Everything is always working ok though, but a little while later 10-15mins the touchpad or if I have a mouse plugged in stop working, the cursor disappears & doesn't return.This happens without any error message.
    I have to use the power button to turn off do a restart & then everything is fine again.
    Another problem I have is if I want to download anything a photo a file etc then I get the file or photo showing to download, but then brings up a zero kb file size & failed download.
    Does not matter which browser I use. If I right click on a photo or file in gmail it then downloads it without any problem.

Any help appreciated.

:)

alanmg, Aug 27, 2015
  2. GeorgeR1 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade

No error message

correction steps attempted

Virus scan

malware scan

replaced the mouse although it worked on another computer

installed new drive

Followed Dell's & Microsoft web site Recommendations

took it in to a certified repair technician who could not get the touchpad and mouse working and suggested to reinstall Windows 10

it was working as it should on closing down for the evening and the next morning the mouse and touchpad would not work

This is what the repair shop did

A weird USB device shows up in device manager.

Tried to flash USB device history did not work

system restore did not work

Windows repair did not work

GeorgeR1, Aug 27, 2015
  3. NABA123 Win User
    Touchpad and USB Mouse stopped working after resetting Windows 10 laptop

Hello,

I decided to reset my Asus T100TA hybrid laptop to give it a performance boost. After the whole process finished, I noticed that the touchpad was not working, however my USB mouse was working. I went into Device Manager, and it was showing a code 10 error
    under the trackpad, I figured it must've been a problem with the drivers. I then open up the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and it suggests uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the touchpad to fix it. It finishes and prompts me to restart my computer.
    After restarting, now both my touchpad and USB mouse do not work. I can navigate using the keyboard and touchscreen, so there are no problems navigating around the OS.

I went back into device manager and it shows for both the touchpad and the USB mouse, "This device is working properly" under device status. Clearly there is some issue, as both are not working, despite what it says. I have tried everything off the top of
    my head on what could possibly fix it, but nothing has worked. I made sure the touchpad wasn't disabled, and it wasn't. I tried running the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter again, and all it says is to restart to finish installing drivers, and no matter
    how many times I restart, it still gives that message. I have tried updating the drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, both through device manager and through installing the drivers on asus's website, didn't help. There are no other USB ports to
    test on the computer, and I only have one USB mouse, so I can't test with any other ones. I'm not sure what else I can do to fix this.

I think it's worth mentioning that the smart gestures on the touchpad still work. Some examples are, if I touch with 3 fingers, it opens up Cortana, swiping up/down with 3 fingers opens/closes the task viewer, things like that. It seems like the touchpad
    still has some function. Another thing is both the touchpad and the USB mouse do not show up in the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.

Thanks for your help.

NABA123, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

random usb device error message,mouse/touchpad not working

1. random usb device error message,mouse/touchpad not working - Similar Threads - random usb device

2. Mouse not working, but other USB devices work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse not working, but other USB devices work: I just recently got a new mouse, and now it's not working. I tried using my old mouse but it didn't work either. I tried using a USB Hub but it still wouldn't work. The only thing that works is if I charge my phone using my laptop USB port. Is this a software or a hardware...
  3. Mouse not working, but other USB devices work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse not working, but other USB devices work: I just recently got a new mouse, and now it's not working. I tried using my old mouse but it didn't work either. I tried using a USB Hub but it still wouldn't work. The only thing that works is if I charge my phone using my laptop USB port. Is this a software or a hardware...
  4. Mouse not working, but other USB devices work

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. touchpad mouse not working

touchpad mouse not working: Touchpad mouse is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-mouse-not-working/fcd472d5-5d18-4aef-ac08-dd1601664b6c
  6. Mouse/touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse/touchpad not working: Hi,I bought a new Lenovo Legion with win 11. It is fully updated. I have also bt Razer mouse. Mouse clicks backwards button in random moments. Additionally mouse click does not work in most moment. I can only move the mouse. I thought that is a mouse issue but once unplugging...
  7. Mouse/Touchpad Not Working

Mouse/Touchpad Not Working: I recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga 730 2-in-1 laptop. My mouse/touchpad stopped working. I tried restarting windows, but I don't think that did anything productive. Please help....
  8. USB devices stop working randomly

USB devices stop working randomly: Hello, I have recently ran into a problem where my USB mouse and keyboard stop working randomly. When I first start using my computer, they stop randomly for about a second, but then resume working. After around 5 minutes, they stop working permanently, and in order to...
  9. touchpad and mouse not working

touchpad and mouse not working: just bought the windows tablet 2 in 1 and mouse,touchpad isn't working did all the updates still wont work, looked up solution and reset the tablet and still not working anyone have a solution for this issue...
  10. Mouse and touchpad not working

Mouse and touchpad not working: So earlier today i noticed that my mouse wasnt working and i thought it was a battery issue(using a wireless) but when i tried my touchpad its nit working too. I tried searching in google how to fix it but none of it worked, from updating the driver,system restore and the...