Windows 10: Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?

Discus and support Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some backround: ASUS Q552, Windows 10 Home, 12GB RAM, Samsung Evo 1TB SSD (clean install of Windows on hard drive), touchscreen laptop, My laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016.

1. ogrady859 Win User

Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?

Some backround:

ASUS Q552, Windows 10 Home, 12GB RAM, Samsung Evo 1TB SSD (clean install of Windows on hard drive), touchscreen laptop,

My laptop will randomly freeze and become unresponsive. When I use my touchscreen and swipe in from the left side, the screen and task bar will flash and it will begin working again. 30 seconds to a few minutes later, this will repeat. This has slowly been getting worse over the past couple weeks.
    I looked in the "Event Viewer" and every time this freezing occurs, there is an entry that reads:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Hang
    Date: 4/20/2016 10:03:48 AM
    Event ID: 1002
    Task Category: (101)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-5M83579
    Description:
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.10586.104 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 1280
    Start Time: 01d19b0cbe45a850
    Termination Time: 0
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: b145a127-0700-11e6-9860-305a3a8a1136
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-04-20T14:03:48.303529600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12502</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-5M83579</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.104</Data>
    <Data>1280</Data>
    <Data>01d19b0cbe45a850</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>b145a127-0700-11e6-9860-305a3a8a1136</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I have tried:

sfc/ scannow
    increasing and decreasing virtual memory
    Using Samsung Magician to optimize performance/reliability
    updating Nvidia and Intel drivers
    disabling Nvidia and Intel drivers (one at a time)

..and a few other things I can't remember at this moment.
    Does anyone have a solution to this? I've read of similar issues but not exactly this one. But this is my work computer (self-employed), so time is if the essence. Thanks!

:)

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 freezes, apps not responding.

Hello! About 1-10x's every 10 minutes or so my computer will freeze up or become unresponsive. Here are the symptoms:

~ apps show "not responding"

~ no UI elements respond.

~ can still move mouse cursor aND volume.

~ this freezing can last 5sec - 2minutes.

~ seems to occur randomly. Don't have do anything.

~ only started after upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1

~ seems to be happening more and more often.

~ restarting and powering off does not fix.

JustinBelcher, Apr 19, 2016
  3. HP laptop slow and unresponsive in November 2017 - due to Windows 10 update (UK) ? - Simple fix?

This seems to have started from early to mid November. I understand there was a major update to Windows 10 around then (I'm in the UK). Chrome particularly can freeze randomly (this is about the 1st time Chrome has said 'Page unresponsive'), though the whole
    HP laptop has become slow and rather unresponsive.

Would be great if anyone could offer a straightforward solution - Im not 'techy'. Many thanks.

PeterCulbert, Apr 19, 2016
  4. Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?

hTconeM9user, Apr 19, 2016
  5. ogrady859 Win User
    No I haven't! I'll try that now

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016
  6. ogrady859 Win User
    It's been stuck on "Checking PC" for over an hour. Is this right?

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016
  7. What are you checking on your PC the BIOS or in-place upgrade
    If In-place Upgrade I have up to now had no cause to use it

hTconeM9user, Apr 19, 2016
  8. ogrady859 Win User

Started the In place upgrade via USB Installation Media. Ran Setup, clicked "upgrade this PC now", it Prepared, then I selected "Download and Install updates",it said "getting updates", the "checking PC" and has been on that for over an hour

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Create another user account with exactly the same privileges as this one.
    Logon to it and see if you encounter the same issues.

davidhk, Apr 19, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Apr 19, 2016
  11. ogrady859 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just realized that on a separate profile on this laptop, I don't have this problem. How does this change things?

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    That indicates the original user account ( profile as you prefer to call it ) is corrupted.
    Use the new account for a while. If no issues at all, then come back to the corrupted account > backup files you want to keep > then delete the account.

davidhk, Apr 19, 2016
  13. ogrady859 Win User

Ok. Even if the corrupted account was the original (administrator?). Should I still attempt the upgrade? Thanks.

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    Exactly what do you mean by " original " administrator ?
    There are 2 types of administrator accounts............
    1. Windows 10 own built-in Admin account. It comes with the operating system.
    2. Your own user/admin account which you created when you installed Windows 10.

Which one of the above 2 are you referring to ?

If you meant the 2nd one, your own user/admin account you created.......................
    Create a new admin account > logon to it.
    Use it for a few days. If no issues at all, delete the corrupted admin account.

If that works, then there is no need to do the Repair Install at all.

davidhk, Apr 19, 2016
  15. ogrady859 Win User
    I also created a new user account and within 2 minutes, the problems started there as well.

ogrady859, Apr 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang? - Similar Threads - Randomly freezing unresponsive

2. Random unresponsiveness and hang after recent Windows updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random unresponsiveness and hang after recent Windows updates: Hi, I have been experiencing with some really frustrating system issues after the January update. The system would randomly become unresponsive, and clicking on any app icon will not do anything. Startup menu will show up but clicking on the search bar doesn't do anything...
  3. Random unresponsiveness and hang after recent Windows updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random unresponsiveness and hang after recent Windows updates: Hi, I have been experiencing with some really frustrating system issues after the January update. The system would randomly become unresponsive, and clicking on any app icon will not do anything. Startup menu will show up but clicking on the search bar doesn't do anything...
  4. Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random: Basically what the title says. The taskbar becomes unresponsive at random times. Can't click anything. The temporary solution I know of is going into Task Manager and restarting Windows Explorer. It doesn't solve the problem, however. I've only had this computer Lenovo Legion...
  5. Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random: Basically what the title says. The taskbar becomes unresponsive at random times. Can't click anything. The temporary solution I know of is going into Task Manager and restarting Windows Explorer. It doesn't solve the problem, however. I've only had this computer Lenovo Legion...
  6. Windows Randomly Freezes/Hangs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Randomly Freezes/Hangs: About once or twice a day, my computer randomly hangs or freezes and it's super annoying. This problem started happening after reinstalling windows onto my new SSD from my hard drive. I have updated windows and reinstalled graphics drivers. I've used HWiNFO64 and it all...
  7. Freezing/Hanging Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Freezing/Hanging Windows Explorer: Hi! I am a Windows10 user and I just want to get some help from a ‘hanging/freezing windows explorer’ whenever I made a content search within a folder. Any help with this? Thanks!...
  8. Random Freeze/Hang (NO BSOD)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Freeze/Hang (NO BSOD): This freeze/hang has been going on randomly for months (I believe setting in after the Fall Creators Update; I'd deferred that one but it forced itself through 1/13/2018). Keyboard and mouse stop functioning, and music stops playing too. I can only get it back up and...
  9. Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?

in Windows 10 Support
    Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?: Some backround: ASUS Q552, Windows 10 Home, 12GB RAM, Samsung Evo 1TB SSD (clean install of Windows on hard drive), touchscreen laptop, My laptop will randomly freeze and become unresponsive. When I use my touchscreen and swipe in from the left side, the screen and task...
  10. Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of): I have read a thread or five via a Google search about random freezing with Windows 10, but none of their symptoms match mine, so I thought I'd post a new thread. I'm getting random system freezes or hangs which prevent me from opening apps or programs and clicking on the...
Tags: