Windows 10: RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar

Discus and support RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Although there are programs to protect against ransomware, the best option still remains back up your files & make system images. *Wink Hoping... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Borg 386 Win User

RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar

Although there are programs to protect against ransomware, the best option still remains back up your files & make system images. *Wink

RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomware | PCWorld

:)

Borg 386, Dec 19, 2016

2. folders created in c: d: and c:\users - virus?

Yes, there are several Ransomware protection tools which deliberately create
    dummy folders containing specific or randomly named .bmp, .png, .gif, .docx, .xlsx, .rtf, .txt files in various locations (and partitions) on your computer as part of its functionality and what is called "Entrapment Protection".
    These are trap folders and files...patterns of files and hidden virtual files that ransomware is attracted to.
    Ransomfree by Cybereason is one of them. Usually when folks install these types of programs they are aware of how they work so most of us helping you didn't give that a thought.

Now that you know what they are, you may want to reinstall Ransomfree so it helps protect you against the spread of infection. The use of trap files and folders is
    not a 100% solution...some data files typically will end up being encrypted by ransomware but whatever helps with prevention, I consider useful.

quietman7 - MVP, Dec 19, 2016
  3. Two random directories appear in C Root drive and in the USER directory

I discovered what the problem is. It is a program from Cybereason, RansomFree. It is creating directories at the beginning and the end which I believe is to catch ransomware when it attempts to encrypt files.

BurnNotice206, Dec 19, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Good day.

Thanks for the heads up.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 20, 2016
  5. Plankton Win User
    Are you guys trying it?

Plankton, Dec 20, 2016
  6. I installed it this morning, but I have no intention of actually testing it.

Alan Russell, Dec 20, 2016
  7. Borg 386 Win User
    Borg 386, Dec 20, 2016
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

I have installed it on a newly formatted PC. Can't say I like it that much. First, it install a service and then it creates a lot of folders with funny names on System root folder and it also creates some weird account names. I will keep it for future uses.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 20, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Best protection against Ransomware if you are unfortunate enough to get a warning / indication that it's present on your machine is :

1) Immediately Power OFF computer -- don't do any normal shutdown --power off as fast as possible

2) Disconnect any peripheral devices / USB external HDD's and pull out any LAN cable if using LAN. If Wifi then simply disconnect router as well / switch off. OK if you have to have connection while repairing your computer use 3/4G signal from Phones.

3) now Boot an HDD partitioning piece of software --if you know Linux then any Live distro is fine booted from a USB drive

4) Soft low level format the HDD by writing X'00' on every sector - if more than one HDD do the same to all the HDD's

6) now boot a recovery program like Macrium from USB

7) Restore your OS from a CLEAN backup - and preferably your DATA too.

8) job done. You can Boot windows normally again and re-establish Internet / LAN connections.

If you don't take regular backups you are HOSED --so it's always good to take regular backups -- full backup OS + pgms say daily - typically shouldn't take too long around 15 - 30 mins and take incremental / differential backups of data as and when you need it.

Believe me it's FAR FAR quicker to restore complete clean systems than mess around with any sort of cleansing programs.

No A/V program will ever be 100% effective -- I believe a previous poster has made the point that if there were then we'd all be using it.

Use A/V software - but once you get a notice of infection don't waste your time trying to cleanse the computer but just restore from a clean backup. It really is a lot quicker than messing around with cleansing programs which again can't be relied on to be 100% effective --especially when they are themselves run from an infected computer.

With Ransomware SWITCH OFF AT ONCE - an ordely shutdown will allow the ransomware to go about it's malevolent purpose.

Also USE computer safely - there's enough posts on this and other sites about how you can keep reasonably safe.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2016
  10. Borg 386 Win User
    I noticed that, but so far my OS is running with no problems (knock on wood, just in case*chuckle).

I would have to guess it puts those files in there as either bait/detectors for any known ransomware activity.

Hopefully the program will never need to be used but it's good to know there's another layer of protection in place. How well it works remains to be seen, time will tell. Let's hope it does a good job & stops a large portion of the ransomware out there.

Borg 386, Dec 21, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    According to thread on Wilderssecurity forums, this software is not yet ready to use. Problems with multi drive systems etc.

AndreTen, Dec 23, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Interesting - thanks for the tip!

simrick, Dec 23, 2016
  13. RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar

I have just installed RansomFree and found the following sentence on its Q&A page.
    'RansomFree currently protects all fixed drives. It does not currently protect removable media, such as USB or USB connected hard disks.'

There are three removable media on my computer. Should I install other anti-ransomeware software, such as Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware?

Matthew Wai, Jan 25, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Perhaps I can suggest a more reliable, vetted alternative: The No More Ransom Project. This group is funded by over a dozen "name" security/anti-malware companies and offers a range of ransomware decryptors for free. Just found out about this today in response to a story I wrote for CIO.com that hit last week.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 26, 2017
  15. Your suggestion is a cure, but I am looking for a preventive measure.

Matthew Wai, Jan 26, 2017
Thema:

1. RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar - Similar Threads - RansomFree free program

2. ransomware protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ransomware protection: will microsoft defender's ransomware protection work if using avira free antivirus.avira free's ransomware protection is locked behind a paywall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-protection/5c6595fe-f89a-4e70-816c-2aff4929aac5
  3. Ransomware protection bricking programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ransomware protection bricking programs: So I just built myself a new machine, did a clean install on everything from my old one (which, my old one I dont think had ransomware protection? Or atleast I never had anything block anything on my programs?) and well, I go on about installing drivers, all the programs I...
  4. Locking a folder against ransomware

Locking a folder against ransomware: Can a folder be locked, with password protection, to block encryption ransomware from changing it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locking-a-folder-against-ransomware/47a14409-a217-4ea8-927b-017abec67810
  5. Ransomware protection

Ransomware protection: That ransomware protection that Windows Defender has might a little to over-protection. When turned on: It will not access save games from Origin and other EA games Uplay seems not the problem I find it really necessary to share this information. It seems like Win Defender...
  6. Protection Against Ransomwares

Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  7. MSE for Windows 7 protect directories/files against Ransomware?

MSE for Windows 7 protect directories/files against Ransomware?: Over the last update of Windows 10 ( Fall Creators Update) it seems possible to protect users directories and files against Ransomware. Why this functionality is not available over the MSE program settings on Windows 7 ? Or if it is how to enable it ? Vincent....
  8. Ransomware Protection?

Ransomware Protection?: Been visiting a website that discusses ransomware and all of the nasty things that can happen, starting to make me paranoid. Data files are backed up and stored offline, but still...So, I am looking for a quality anti-ransomware software package. As I am new to this concept,...
  9. New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware: Recent ransomware threats, summarized in a new Microsoft report, highlight the need for advanced security. Windows 10 integrates next-gen security features that protect against ransomware, including multiple exploit mitigations, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection...
  10. Ransomware Protection for Windows PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ransomware Protection for Windows PC?: This is brand spanking new software and cautious that I am I will probably wait until the next version comes out before installing but I am curious if anyone else has come across this yet and decided to give it a go and install it....