Windows 10: Ransomware and data on Cloud - whose responsible

Discus and support Ransomware and data on Cloud - whose responsible in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there Question to any "legal Beagles" here If say your computer gets infected with Ransomware and say your data on a cloud server (one drive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimbo45, May 15, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ransomware and data on Cloud - whose responsible

Hi there

Question to any "legal Beagles" here

If say your computer gets infected with Ransomware and say your data on a cloud server (one drive etc) gets scrambled too -- who's responsible for the Cloud data. Obviously you are for your OWN machine but what about data you've held on a Cloud server. In theory since you are accessing this data via Windows the malware could scramble the Cloud data even or (probably) if the data is stored on a Linux server.

Do any of these Cloud services have any recovery / backup for individual users --- I'm sure they backup the operations but with possibly zillions of users regular user backups would seem to be out of the question - the volume of storage would simply be HUGE and the cost to the customer would increase astronomically.

just an inquiry though -- Also I've actually never seen any info on restoring users data files stored on the cloud if a user wants a previous version or accidentally deletes file.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 15, 2017

2. How can my files on onedrive get corrupted by a ransomware attack?

US-CERT Alert (TA13-309A) advises some crypto malware variants have the ability to target, find and encrypt files located within
    network drives, shared (mapped network paths), USB drives, external hard drives, and even
    files stored on cloud services (cloud storage drives) if they have a drive letter. Although cloud backups typically do not use drive letters, many cloud storage services do not save prior file versions so there’s no way to revert to a clean
    file version.

OneDrive is Microsoft's
    free data hosting cloud service
    that allows users to sync files and later access them from a web browser or mobile device. I do not use OneDrive, but from what I understand the source data (like

GoogleDrive
    ) resides locally in the OneDrive folder. If that gets encrypted by ransomware, it will get encrypted in the Cloud service as well since it gets automatically synchronized. However, according to Microsoft, OneDrive
    has the capability to restore files affected by ransomware by using Version History or restoring from the OneDrive Recycle Bin...see

OneDrive vs. Ransomware
    which includes links with instructions for recovering OneDrive-based files using Version History and the OneDrive Recycle Bin.

quietman7 - MVP, May 15, 2017
  3. bhringer Win User
    bhringer, May 15, 2017
  4. Ransomware and data on Cloud - whose responsible

Hi Jimbo,
    Love your Avatar!
    But I have a question(s). What is "The Cloud"? Where is "The Cloud" and, , , who is in charge of "The Cloud".
    Is he or she certified and bonded, or is maybe he or she a Convicted Felon? Do we know? How could we ever find out?

Personally I won't trust my personal data, some of it critical, to an unknown person at an unknown location. That's the worse possible security failure I can think of.
    All my own data files are saved to two USB Flash Drives that never leave my personal control. Periodically, I burn my most critical data files to DVD's and put them in a fireproof vault. At no time, is my personal data outside of my control.

Here's hoping that you have a GREAT day!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, May 15, 2017
  5. axe0 New Member
    Jimbo45 mentions cloud servers like onedrive, hopefully that fulfills as an answer to one or more of your questions *Smile

6. dencal Win User
    Pure speculation using M$ version of OneDrive......the infection would take place on a user computer.
    As soon as the infection registered on an individual cloud account, alarm bells would ring and an immediate shutdown would take place.....All efforts would then be assigned by M$ into making a patch that would rectify the problem before once again making OneDrive operational.

dencal, May 15, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    The cloud provided storage that I use has file versioning capabilities. So, a previous version of the file, prior to encryption should be available on the cloud to restore.

I know that OneDrive and DropBox both do versioning.

pparks1, May 15, 2017
  8. RolandJS Win User

Check your online or emailed contract, I suspect it mentions even though they may or may not have versioning, they may or may not have user data backups on another server, it probably mentions the end-users are totally responsible for data.

RolandJS, May 15, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @TechnoMage

Avatar based on 6 Million Dollar man -- I did have a little moving pic (on W7 Forums) butI haven't been able to re-create on 10 Forums so just put up with static picture. I'm actually fairly similar to that and reasonably large so when I go into a computer store or similar in London or mainland Europe and they have these usually tiny phillipino security staff following me around I give them a cold glare and they all scarper !!!!!! as I could probably eat THREE of them for breakfast and still feel hungry !!.

Slightly OT - but if you like Sci Fi -- I love the "Mage Imperator" in the "Saga of the 7 suns" by Kevin J Anderson -- he must have had some scandinavian origin !!!! (Saga is an old Norwegian (Old Norse) or Icelandic word used in modern day English -- Old Norse is actually very similar to modern day Icelandic -- but modern norwegian is a bit removed --rather like Latin and modern Italian.

anyway have a good evening !!!!

Here's some links.

The Saga of Seven Suns - Wikipedia

Species of The Saga of Seven Suns - Wikipedia

Saga - Wikipedia

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 15, 2017
  10. Mystere Win User
    I doubt any cloud based storage provider will accept legal responsibility for your data. Their Terms of service likely explicitly say you're SOL, even if it's their fault.

But, legal terms aside, even if you could void that agreement, get a court to say they can't abdicate responsibility, it would still be YOUR fault that a virus scrambled your data, not theirs.

Some cloud based storage offers file versioning (like OneDrive and I think DropBox, perhaps others). So you can likely get any files back that way. But, I certainly wouldn't rely on it. Also, chances are, any ransomware will likely scramble the applications that run the cloud service, so chances are that your data will probably safe, since such programs wouldn't be able to run to sync your offline data.

Mystere, May 16, 2017
  11. simrick Win User
    As long as your cloud provider has "versioning", you should be fine.

As I understand it, these ransomwares will encrypt anything with a drive letter. So, if your OneDrive or DropBox has a drive letter on your system, the data in it will be encrypted. Versioning will allow you to recover.

If you just have a small amount of personal data, and you don't "install" Dropbox (as an example), but only login online through your browser and manually upload things, then the ransomware cannot touch those files.

simrick, May 16, 2017
  12. pparks1 Win User
    I have recovered numerous versioned files in the past without trouble. Its dependable.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ransomware and data on Cloud - whose responsible - Similar Threads - Ransomware data Cloud

2. Cannot dismiss ransomware data recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot dismiss ransomware data recovery: Keeps on insisting I setup OneDrive.While I have been known to use OneDrive from time to time, in no way do I want that connected to my W10 Pro 'ransomware' protection whatsoever.Clicking dismiss does absolutely nothing. Nor do I seem to have any On/off toggle for the data...
  3. Cannot dismiss ransomware data recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot dismiss ransomware data recovery: Keeps on insisting I setup OneDrive.While I have been known to use OneDrive from time to time, in no way do I want that connected to my W10 Pro 'ransomware' protection whatsoever.Clicking dismiss does absolutely nothing. Nor do I seem to have any On/off toggle for the data...
  4. Cannot dismiss ransomware data recovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. unable to sync data to cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to sync data to cloud: I bought a game called subnautica but cannot play it because it says cannot sync data to cloud. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-sync-data-to-cloud/8bd9988d-8905-46f4-94e8-8f58ea78071f
  6. unable to sync data to cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to sync data to cloud: I bought a game called subnautica but cannot play it because it says cannot sync data to cloud. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-sync-data-to-cloud/8bd9988d-8905-46f4-94e8-8f58ea78071f
  7. Cloud in Wifi Data Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloud in Wifi Data Manager: So I hotspot my mobile phone to play online games when I'm away from my house. I am trying to restrict my data usage. My biggest draw on data is simply labeled Cloud. I for the life of me cannot figure out what this is. I do not subscribe to any cloud based programs. Thank...
  8. How disable Ransomware Data Recovery?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How disable Ransomware Data Recovery?: I would like to enable Controlled Folder Access but it appears that if I do the Ransomware Data Recovery feature will try to backup some or all of the files in protected folders to OneDrive. I do not want anything backed up to OneDrive. How can I enable Controlled Folder...
  9. Cloud Data usage on wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloud Data usage on wifi: When I look at my useage details on my wifi, in windows 10 it show 20gb cloud. Really ? I dont use any services other then connectioon to that internet for web stuff, and game play. Problem is everytime i use my phone teather, the 3gb data i have gets ate up real, fast, just...
  10. Upload my data to the cloud.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Upload my data to the cloud.: I kept receiving messages from Microsoft that if I clicked on the box my free cell data would be saved in case my system might fail etc. After resisting my impulse to try it I finally broke down to try it. Big mistake. Microsoft took my data and said it would be put on the...