Windows 10: Ransomware Protection?

Discus and support Ransomware Protection? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Nobody has mentioned the best protection - make regular image backups. Get a ransom attack - who cares, wipe pc and restore backup image. Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HikerGuy, Jun 8, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Ransomware Protection?

Nobody has mentioned the best protection - make regular image backups. Get a ransom attack - who cares, wipe pc and restore backup image.

cereberus, Jul 2, 2016

2. Hi:

Good advice.*Smile

Just a word of caution -- MBARW-BETA is still pretty unstable BETA software with a lot of false positives and bugs.
    As mentioned HERE:

(The technology will eventually be merged into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. But, for now, it's a standalone BETA application.)

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 2, 2016
  3. altae Win User
    Yep, the only real protection against ransomware are backups. I've got images of all my partitions (system partition included). So I'm not afraid of ransomware.

altae, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Ransomware Protection?

As cereberus mentioned, making a backup/system image can be a lifesaver when ransomware strikes. Preparation for a worst case scenario is the best defense measure.

Make the system image on a external HDD/FD, one that is not constantly connected to the PC. Keep 3 or 4 earlier system images on it also in addition to the current one. This way if you inadvertently make one with malware, you have a copy from earlier.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Jul 7, 2016
  5. I totally agree. A restorable system image is the best defense. Takes 15 minutes or less, and about the same to restore. I do one at least once a week and then rotate out the oldest one. I also have a separate backup of just data files (photos, music, videos, etc.).

tdockery97, Jul 8, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    I agree with the backup solutions. Unless your gran regularly makes silly mistakes, the average person won't need this software.

swarfega, Jul 8, 2016
  7. JohnBurns Win User
    I agree completely with this. However, I also have CryptoPrevent (Free) installed as added protection. So far no problems with it and I "feel" a little safer. This is a reliable app and I've had it a couple years.

JohnBurns, Jul 9, 2016
  8. altae Win User

Ransomware Protection?

My extra layer of protection is Linux. All my online activities like web browsing, emails, downloading... are done in a virtual machine running either Linux Mint 18 or Fedora 24. So it's pretty much impossible for my system to catch some ransomware. And if somehow my system gets infected nonetheless I've got backups.

Ransomware is only a threat to careless people who are too lazy to make backups or to people who don't have the knowledge to deal with this kind of threat. But that's in fact the case with all kind of malware. *Wink

altae, Jul 9, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    *Ditto A great little program! *Thumbs

simrick, Jul 9, 2016
  10. Is there any use for HitmanPro.Alert AND MBAM MBAE?

doriandiaconu, Jul 18, 2016
  11. RolandJS Win User
    "reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    Take ownership and delete folders
    C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell
    C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell"

Great advice for advanced computer people, however, is there a way to disable WSH and PowerShell through Services and/or msconfig -- rather than editing the registry?

RolandJS, Jul 18, 2016
  12. gall0 Win User
    Anti-ransomware tools such as Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware should be considered for Win10, too. However, I'm not sure if they are Win10 compatible? Does anyone have info?

Windows 10 is definitely not safe from malware and crypto viruses. A friend that works in the field of infosec stuff told me there is a new ransomware that targets Windows 10 specifically and Win10 users like me (damn me for upgrading to Win10...willingly *Mad) should be extra careful..I've already been through one ransomware infection while I was running Windows 8.1, and it's a total nightmare.. It's like I lost my PC to physical damage... same thing as my PC being stolen!

I found the following about this Win10 ransomware: it splits files into different parts in addition to locking them, making the decryption job even more impossible than previous ransomware variants. More info here: Latest In Ransomware: .PLC Virus Splits Files In Encrypted Parts

gall0, Jul 18, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Ransomware Protection?

HitmanPro.Alert says it will prevent encryption if you get hit; it's a paid program, but I believe it offers a 30-day trial. MBAE is free, and protects your browsers. I put MBAE and CryptoPrevent on every system I own or work on. Depends on how vulnerable you feel.

simrick, Jul 18, 2016
  14. I know it's a paid product and I'm willing to spend money on a good protection for PC. Right now I'm using Windows Defender + MBAM Free + MBAE + MBAR. But people keep claiming that MBAR is not stable. So I thought that that instead of it I should use Hitman. But hitman is also a antimalware software.

Should I keep MBAE + WD + MBAM free + cryptoprevent?

doriandiaconu, Jul 18, 2016
  15. gall0 Win User
    So which is the best anti-ransomware tool for Win10?

Also I have another question: Has anyone considered using a second generation security program parallel to a normal AV? I read such programs are better at protecting from financial viruses.. But don't know which one to consider..

gall0, Jul 18, 2016
Thema:

Ransomware Protection?

1. Ransomware Protection? - Similar Threads - Ransomware Protection

2. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off: Hello is again me, i just today looking in Windows Defender and i was just looking on some things and i haved ransomware protection off for like 3 years. Is this something weird? Or just something I had to turn on when I bought the computer? Thanks Max...
  3. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off: Hello is again me, i just today looking in Windows Defender and i was just looking on some things and i haved ransomware protection off for like 3 years. Is this something weird? Or just something I had to turn on when I bought the computer? Thanks Max...
  4. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  6. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  7. ransomware protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ransomware protection: will microsoft defender's ransomware protection work if using avira free antivirus.avira free's ransomware protection is locked behind a paywall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-protection/5c6595fe-f89a-4e70-816c-2aff4929aac5
  8. I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.: I use 'Controlled folder access' feature in 'Ransomeware protection' on Windows 10 to prevent ransomware attacks. in the 'Protected folders' list i can specify the folders that i want to protect. No application will be able to modify or delete the files inside the folders on...
  9. I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.

I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.: I use 'Controlled folder access' feature in 'Ransomeware protection' on Windows 10 to prevent ransomware attacks. in the 'Protected folders' list i can specify the folders that i want to protect. No application will be able to modify or delete the files inside the folders on...
  10. I want to exclude the default 'users' folder from the Ransomware Protection Protected folders.

in Windows 10 Customization