Windows 10: RDP connection fails: Remote Desktop can't find computer errors.

Discus and support RDP connection fails: Remote Desktop can't find computer errors. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have VM running windows 10 pro (other VMs using same config work fine). Every time when I try to connect via RDP it throws: "Remote Desktop can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VBJP, Jul 24, 2018.

1. VBJP Win User

RDP connection fails: Remote Desktop can't find computer errors.

I have VM running windows 10 pro (other VMs using same config work fine).
    Every time when I try to connect via RDP it throws: "Remote Desktop can't find the computer [hostname]. This might mean that [hostname] does not belong to specified network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to."
    After like 5-10 tries connection is successful. (seems to be random how many tries it takes to connect).
    It's on same workgroup(not domain network).
    I can ping VM via hostname or IP and ping -a resolves hostname to ip fine.
    Also connection to SMB share on that VM seem to work OK.
    on VM netstat -an show that it is listening to RDP port. (0.0.0.0:3389 Listening)

:)

2. RDP not allowing remote connection

I had it working perfectly fine the other day but I logged into my server, removed a open port and both computer quit.

I run the computers with the firewall off, I see no point in them being on, it's a windows firewall a hacker will know how to get around so fire wall is OFF.

Ports are 9000 for server and 3390 for htpc

ip:9000
    ip:3390

This does not work from a linux workstation using 'Remote Desktop Client'

It does not work from mac RDP
    It does not work from windows RDP
    And it does not work from my iphone.

I know it's enabled as I can RDP into the computers at my home (except htpc at the moment, I think that one needs restarted)

Ports are open, both tcp / udp ports are open using the internal server IP wich is MAC assigned by the router. Server - 10.0.1.2 - 9000
    And same thing for the htpc - 10.0.1.8 - 3390

Besides the obvious of firewall, ports, and 'remote connection enabled' any ideas?

freaksavior, Jul 24, 2018
  3. RDP connection fails from Microsoft account to Local Admin account

Issue:

• Windows 10 Pro desktop cannot connect to another Windows 10 Pro desktop on the same wired network.
    Details:

• When connection is attempted, an error states the credentials are invalid.
    • The credentials entered are the local admin account on the target computer.
      • Computer attempting the connection is logged into the Microsoft account.
    • When both computers were running Windows 7 Pro - there were no RDP issues.
    Troubleshooting:

• Confirmed credentials are correct and CAPS is turned off.
    • Firewall rule for Remote Desktop is enabled and option is enabled in the System Properties.
      • Connection to target computer is successful using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S that is connected to the WLAN.
    • Downloaded Remote Desktop app from the Windows Store.
      • Encounter the same "Invalid Credentials" error as the Remote Desktop Connection software.
    • Updated firmware for router (Netgear R6300).
    • Power cycled both desktops.
    Resolution:

• Logging into the Microsoft account on the remote computer resolved the issue.
    Conclusion:

• When you're trying to establish a Remote Desktop Connection from a computer that is logged into your Microsoft account to a computer that is logged in to the Local Admin account, the connection will fail stating the credentials are invalid.

afluxnions, Jul 24, 2018
  4. David Haz Win User

Remote Desktop - Save connections

Hi Adrian,

Through Remote Desktop Protocol in Windows, you are provided with a graphical interface where you can save the current connection settings to an RDP file or open a saved connection. You may get to this interface by following the steps below:

• Type remote desktop in the Windows 10 taskbar search, and selecting
      Remote Desktop Connection. Make sure that the Computer,
      User name, etc. fields are filled in correctly under the
      General tab.
    • Click the Show options button.
    • From there, you can save the current connection settings to an RDP
      file or open a saved connection.
    • If you are to save a connection, click Save As, and choose the location from where you want to save the shortcut, and click on
      Save.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

David Haz, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

1. RDP connection fails: Remote Desktop can't find computer errors. - Similar Threads - RDP connection fails

2. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  3. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  4. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10: I'm a computer programmer and I can't debug this stupid thing! Both my Win10 and Win7 local PCs can ping and see each other network drives. But none can RDP to another! Giving the notorious '3 dumb reasons' excuse none of which applies, of course. Now, I don't want 'try...
  6. Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade: Hi, I recently upgraded a Lenovo P53 running Win10 1809 to Win10 1909. The Lenovo P53 is typically accessed via Remote Desktop RDP from an HP Probook 640 G1 running Win10 1809 and located at home. The HP accesses the Lenovo P53 over our company's VPN. The Lenovo P53 hosts...
  7. "Your computer can't connect to the remote desktop gateway server" Error

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Your computer can't connect to the remote desktop gateway server" Error: Hello all, Our company uses Windows 1809 Image also we are using RDP through Internet Explorer i am not sure how this works but our employees access an account on the browser login, into and from there when they click an application for example IE RDP client starts and the...
  8. Remote Desktop Can't Connect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Can't Connect: Hi Guys, Having trouble connecting a Windows 7 Laptop to a Windows 10 Desktop via remote desktop. Both are on the same network. The usual has been done already i.e. Enable Remote Desktop, Allow Remote Desktop through a Firewall etc. On Windows 7 Laptop's Remote Desktop...
  9. Can't connect to remote desktop

Can't connect to remote desktop: I can't seem to connect to my remote desktop from college as it keeps asking me to 'Enter my credentials' multiple times even when I did enter it, it asks me again. So I don't if its a hardware or software problem would appreciate it if anyone can reply if they know whats...
  10. Can't connect with Remote Desktop

Can't connect with Remote Desktop: Hay everyone, I am having an issue with Remote Desktop. It works fine locally but i can't get a connection remotely. Here is the message it am getting. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Here are some of the settings on system i am trying to remote into. [ATTACH] Some things i have...