Windows 10: .RDP files won't open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update

Discus and support .RDP files won't open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was installed on my Windows 10 Pro, .RDP files won't open. Remote Desktop still works if you open it manually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Intrepid1, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Intrepid1 Win User

.RDP files won't open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update

After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was installed on my Windows 10 Pro, .RDP files won't open. Remote Desktop still works if you open it manually and enter in the server info. But my saved .RDP files won't open. Also, right clicking on them and selecting edit also does not work. Nothing happens. I even opened Remote Desktop connection, entered in the server info manually and clicked Save As. That shortcut also won't work. Any ideas on what's wrong? Thanks.

:)

Intrepid1, Aug 2, 2016
  2. MARC-NY Win User

After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was installed on my Windows 10 Pro, .RDP files won't open. Remote Desktop still works if you open it manually and enter in the server info. But my saved .RDP files won't open. Also, right clicking on them and selecting
    edit also does not work. Nothing happens. I even opened Remote Desktop connection, entered in the server info manually and clicked Save As. That shortcut also won't work. Any ideas on what's wrong? Thanks.

MARC-NY, Aug 2, 2016
  3. MARC-NY Win User
    MARC-NY, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Davoodoo Win User

I am having the exact same problem. Also, if you right click on a network computer in File Explorer and click on Connect with Remote Desktop Connection, nothing happens.

I am glad it is not only me. Experts, please help.

Davoodoo, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Intrepid1 Win User
    I have confirmation that this is an upgrade bug. It does not happen with a fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary.
    It also broke Maccrium Reflect scheduled tasks (Macrium said at their forum that they are working on a fix), removed numerous features (lock screen disable, for example) and likely broke more than just Remote Desktop. I've restored my backup image and turned on defer upgrades in Windows update advanced settings.. This Anniversary update is not ready. I'll wait 3 months. BTW, Microsoft will likely fix this RDP bug in a subsequent update - I would say within about 30 days.

SEE Microsoft TechNet Forum Thread: .RDP files wont open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update

Intrepid1, Aug 2, 2016
  6. wyldman68 Win User
    Could this be a 3rd party software break for RDP, from the upgrade? My RDP works fine on 4 PCs so far, that I upgraded.

wyldman68, Aug 2, 2016
  7. Davoodoo Win User
    RDP still works, it is just that it does not work from FILE EXPLORER or from clicking on a .rdpfile.

Davoodoo, Aug 2, 2016
  8. Intrepid1 Win User

The Only RDP related software I have installed is Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7

Intrepid1, Aug 2, 2016
  9. wyldman68 Win User
    Have you checked the .rdp for file association? Settings/system/default apps/choose default apps by file type
    .rdp says Remote Desktop Connection on mine

wyldman68, Aug 2, 2016
  10. Davoodoo Win User
    Yes, mine is the same.

Davoodoo, Aug 2, 2016
  11. Intrepid1 Win User
    Intrepid1, Aug 2, 2016
  12. wyldman68 Win User
    wyldman68, Aug 2, 2016
  13. Intrepid1 Win User

No, not using RSAT tools; just Remote Desktop Connection Manager.

Just read that someone who did a clean install is also having the issue. So, it may not be just an upgrade bug. Seems to be an issue with mstsc.exe. Until it gets fixed, you can still open Remote Desktop and click on "Load" and load your .RDP file. It will import the settings for that session.

Intrepid1, Aug 3, 2016
  14. Intrepid1 Win User
    BUG FIX - I received reports that this worked until MS addresses the bug.
    ****************************************************************************

If you are experiencing this issue, you should be able to work around it by removing the custom scale factors you have set (a custom scale factor applies across all monitors).
    1. Hit the Windows key and then type "display".
    2. Tap on the "display settings" link that is found.
    You should see the following text in red: "A custom scale factor is set".
    3. Click on the text underneath which states "Turn off custom scaling and sign out".
    4. Sign back in.
    MSTSC should now work with an RDP file passed as a parameter.

Intrepid1, Aug 3, 2016
  15. Davoodoo Win User
    Yes, this did work for me. I set my scale back to 125% after doing the above and things still work.

Davoodoo, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

1. .RDP files won't open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - RDP files won't

2. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...
  3. RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10: I'm a computer programmer and I can't debug this stupid thing! Both my Win10 and Win7 local PCs can ping and see each other network drives. But none can RDP to another! Giving the notorious '3 dumb reasons' excuse none of which applies, of course. Now, I don't want 'try...
  4. Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade: Hi, I recently upgraded a Lenovo P53 running Win10 1809 to Win10 1909. The Lenovo P53 is typically accessed via Remote Desktop RDP from an HP Probook 640 G1 running Win10 1809 and located at home. The HP accesses the Lenovo P53 over our company's VPN. The Lenovo P53 hosts...
  5. Remote Desktop Connections error after update to Win10 2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Connections error after update to Win10 2004: after updating Windows 10 to version 2004 i am no longer able to establish a Remote Desktop Connection. actually i am able to establish a Remote Connection exactly once. But after ending the first remote session every following attempt to do the same gives me the following...
  6. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...
  7. Update History missing after Win10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update History missing after Win10 Anniversary Update: Hi, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yesterday and so far I have noticed some changes in my computer that I was not aware of before the update. (1) Somehow my System Restore was set to Disabled and all of my restore points are now gone...
  8. Anniversary Update - Remote Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Anniversary Update - Remote Connection: Hi, One setting has moved to Settings and it's named "Change settings to allow remote connections to this computer" as shown in snapshot. I hope this check box can be controlled by a registry key and someone here can gimme that key. Just please through Registry key to use...
  9. Win10 Anniversary Update Woes

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary Update Woes: Updated yesterday to Anniversary Update. My PC worked AoK for about an hour and then the Desktop stopped working. The mouse pointer still moved around, but will not activate the start menu, or any applications. Resorted to a hard re-boot. After that, Win-AU would work for 15...
  10. Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows: How to: Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows [img] Information You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a remote...