Windows 10: RDP Problems

Discus and support RDP Problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We are going back to using a machine again that we previously used for RDP connections. It was win 7 now win 10, it worked perfectly before. The RDP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by buzzbored, Nov 7, 2016.

1. buzzbored Win User

RDP Problems

We are going back to using a machine again that we previously used for RDP connections. It was win 7 now win 10, it worked perfectly before. The RDP port had been changed from 3389 ( multiple machines one external ip). We have the correct firewall settings I can telnet to the port, so I know that is OK. All accounts are local I've heard this can be a problem, is it? And if so is there a workaround? OR is there something else I should be looking for. Help appreciated.
    Currently just trying to connect locally so network firewall isn't an issue or anything.

:)

buzzbored, Nov 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Remote Desktop Crashes

My workaround is to disable printer redirection in the RDP settings. At least in my case it "solved" the crash problem. The Windows 10 Fall Creators update is crashing the splwow64.exe
    which is related to printer and this caused the RDP to crash. Disabled printer redirection in RDP settings and RDP works fine now. Please help with the splwow64.exe crash issue.

JitenVaghela, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Slow remote desktop after windows 10 updates

I am also experiencing similar problem.

I used laptop with windows vista , RDP is good while connecting my office desktop having Windows 7.

Now I purchased new laptop with Windows 10, but RDP is very slow by connecting to my office desktop.

There must be some problem in Windows 10 RDP graphic display.

bhoopal_reddy, Nov 7, 2016
  4. buzzbored Win User

RDP Problems

I opened a msn account added it to the computer && voila I can remote in (so what I heard was verified) tested locally and remotely. Problem is we use exchange through godaddy with our domain, this doesn't work. And aren't about to all open ms accounts. If there is a workaround please advise

buzzbored, Nov 7, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    The standard answer you will find on here is to stop using RDP, which is very outdated and start using either Teamviewer or VNC.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  6. buzzbored Win User
    I'm aware of that. My boss and the people that remote in to this machine have made the decision on this for me. For the rest we do use team viewer.
    I'd prefer not to have to restore the machine to win7. This decision by ms confuses me, why would they expect businesses to have all of their users use ms email logins.
    This business is my bosses smallest and is a workgroup not a domain. Does this by chance make a difference?

buzzbored, Nov 7, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    If the users are only connecting to use the network shares, they need to be using a VPN like OpenVPN. If it is a remote to fix a server or workstation, Teamviewer is the best option, since it has the best safeguards in recording what people are doing. Also it has video chat options, White Board and you can use it anywhere without worrying about opening up ports.

This has nothing to do with the Operating System. It has to do with the person making the decisions.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  8. buzzbored Win User

RDP Problems

Network shares would be nice. The need for remote desktop, is they want it. The use is QuickBooks our Accountant, my boss, and his do all person, work at a different location and use a different version of QB that isn't compatible with the version that we have at this location. They RDP into a computer here to use the QB on that computer. Again I get LogMeIn or team viewer is the proper fix. They want what they want and make the final decision on the matter. I just really don't want to have to take the machine back to win7 (I don't have an image for it to do this easily). And I don't want to have to make a bunch of msn accounts on the computer.
    Does MS expect businesses to have all of their employees to have @msn.com logins on work machines? This makes little sense to me.

buzzbored, Nov 7, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Doing it the way the company is using Quickbooks is going to cause it to break at one point. There are no more msn.com email addresses. Microsoft is pushing Office 365 for businesses at a licensing cost, or you can go through the ISP and they offer with a business account so many email addresses and licenses for Office 365. This explains some of the evils when you use a remote login to someone's computer and also about using Quickbooks remotely. Working with Remote QuickBooks Clients, Remotely - Accountex Report

Your company needs to get with Intuit and start moving Quickbooks over to the Online system, which allows anyone in the company to access the data, including the accountant, when they are not in the office. Also it allows for better safeguards. QuickBooks Online Accountant, Accountant Software - Intuit

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  10. buzzbored Win User
    I know you are right about using a better method, our quickbooks is a v11 and I've discussed this with them also. Our accountant is a QB rep and has discussed the QB with them also. I'm still stuck in the same boat. As for office 365 that's what we use && I couldn't create an account with it. Wasn't recognized as ms by there system. I appreciate the helpful hints and I've read the above article. I'm still in the same boat though.

buzzbored, Nov 8, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    I've found that when RDP quits working, going into the "Remote" tab on System Properties (System in Control Panel), then toggling the radio button to "Don't allow remote connections" clicking apply, closing the utility, re-opening and reversing the toggle ("Allow remote connections...") often restores Remote Desktop to working order. If you haven't already tried it, give it a shot: it won't take long, and it might help.
    Best of luck in resolving the issue.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 8, 2016
  12. buzzbored Win User
    Thanks, I will try tomorrow. I'm at one of the other businesses for the rest of my workday. I find it odd that when I setup a @live.com user it works properly, just not with local accounts. I read several places on the web this is the case. Baffles me if MS really expects businesses that use this service to have their users use MS accounts on their systems. I know there are better ways than RDP but really?

buzzbored, Nov 8, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

RDP Problems

Using different versions that the older one may not be capable of handling stuff that the newer version in use can do. It is going to end up causing a loss of all of the data, even if there is a backup.

The boss needs to be told that different versions of Quickbooks will not work, along with RDP is not going to work in this case. That is the whole reason that Intuit and other companies have started to move over to a Cloud Based solution, so that if someone is working in the office and updating information at their computer. That data gets uploaded to the cloud system and those outside of the office can access the Cloud version as if they were in the office.

Office 365 is another story. It can be your best friend or worse enemy if Microsoft's servers go down. That is why Microsoft should have concentrated on a Server based version of office designed like 365, but could be used either on a server or on a workstation that is only used for a backup workstation.

bro67, Nov 8, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Maybe out of sync profiles or they are setup as local profiles if on Windows 10. There is actually a Linux based package that will work as a Active Domain and Exchange server. It is one of the easier ones that I have played around with.

I would get a spreadsheet setup to put the workstation ID, employee last name, Windows version, whether they log in as a Local user or Live.com user. If Local, they have to be signed in at their workstation in Office 365, same with Office 2013 and 2016. Otherwise they will not connect to One Drive. What version of Quickbooks is installed in their machine, if it is up to date and if shown by Intuit as End of Life or still supported. User's login id for Quickbooks, etc..

There are a few forums dedicated to Quickbooks. If you call Quickbooks for help, Intuit will charge if the business does not pay a service fee to be able to have Intuit help fix issues.

When you are up against the wall with a employer who thinks that just because it has worked that way for years before Windows 8 or 10 came out. That there should be no issue running it with Windows 8 or 10. If they think that this is something that they can just pick the person who is always working on the network and tells them to make it work without changing anything. That is when you pick up the phone and call a head hunter. I have been there with someone who thought that there was just some magic solution that could be pulled out of your rear. Now I am our dog's boss and worry about just handling my own network.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

RDP Problems

1. RDP Problems - Similar Threads - RDP Problems

2. RDP connection Problem. Only Domain computers don't connect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP connection Problem. Only Domain computers don't connect.: Windows 10 Pro, 22H2. This is a RDP problem.I can connect to another computer in a different state using RDP. However, once this same computer joins the company Domain it will not connect.I get the message that the credentials don't work. It didn't help removing the computer...
  3. RDP connection Problem. Only Domain computers don't connect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP connection Problem. Only Domain computers don't connect.: Windows 10 Pro, 22H2. This is a RDP problem.I can connect to another computer in a different state using RDP. However, once this same computer joins the company Domain it will not connect.I get the message that the credentials don't work. It didn't help removing the computer...
  4. RDP connection Problem. Only Domain computers don't connect.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Problem with RDP on Windows 11 22H2: Server reports "invalid credentials," but other RDP...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with RDP on Windows 11 22H2: Server reports "invalid credentials," but other RDP...: Hello, I have a strange problem:I have a Windows Server 2019, which is working as an RDP server, and I have freshly installed Windows 11 22H2.I can't connect to my Windows server; every time I get an error - "invalid credentials." However, I can connect from WSL using the...
  6. Problem with RDP on Windows 11 22H2: Server reports "invalid credentials," but other RDP...

Problem with RDP on Windows 11 22H2: Server reports "invalid credentials," but other RDP...: Hello, I have a strange problem:I have a Windows Server 2019, which is working as an RDP server, and I have freshly installed Windows 11 22H2.I can't connect to my Windows server; every time I get an error - "invalid credentials." However, I can connect from WSL using the...
  7. Problems with RDP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with RDP: 2 Problems.A. When connecting from a Windows 10 PC to a Windows 8.1 pro laptop via rdp, the laptop loses wifi connection until you physically sign back onB. When connecting from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 8.1 pro laptop via RDP, playing Minecraft proves to be quite...
  8. Problems with RDP

Problems with RDP: 2 Problems.A. When connecting from a Windows 10 PC to a Windows 8.1 pro laptop via rdp, the laptop loses wifi connection until you physically sign back onB. When connecting from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 8.1 pro laptop via RDP, playing Minecraft proves to be quite...
  9. RDP for Mac doesn't connect to my Windows 11 Pro installation but no problem pinging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP for Mac doesn't connect to my Windows 11 Pro installation but no problem pinging: Hi,I have Windows 11 Pro installation to which I want to connect via RDP from my Mac. Both machines are connected to the internet via wifi and are connected to each other via Ethernet to a network switch. Ethernet connection on each machine is set via manually assigned IPv4...
  10. RDP for Mac doesn't connect to my Windows 11 Pro installation but no problem pinging

RDP for Mac doesn't connect to my Windows 11 Pro installation but no problem pinging: Hi,I have Windows 11 Pro installation to which I want to connect via RDP from my Mac. Both machines are connected to the internet via wifi and are connected to each other via Ethernet to a network switch. Ethernet connection on each machine is set via manually assigned IPv4...