Windows 10: RDP to Headless Media Server

Discus and support RDP to Headless Media Server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Not sure which area of the forum to post this, and thought the networking was probably the most relevant. I've built a home media server using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by christof21, Jun 23, 2016.

1. RDP to Headless Media Server

Not sure which area of the forum to post this, and thought the networking was probably the most relevant.

I've built a home media server using a little AMD 5350 on a mini ITX board.

I installed Windows 10 on it this week as I couldn't get my head around Linux at all.

I'm now running the box as a headless media server, as it's all updated and configured, however I can't seem to RDP into it at all when it's headless.

As soon as I connect it back to a monitor, and reboot it, RDP is fine.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or can you not run Windows 10 on a headless machine?

:)

christof21, Jun 23, 2016
  2. B_Belnap Win User

RDP Lag, slow performance between Windows 10 PCs

Can't edit for some reason.

Computer B is headless, acting as a server. I hooked up a monitor and tested RDP from B to A and from B to C and everything was fine. It's just the connection from A to B that is the issue.

B_Belnap, Jun 23, 2016
  3. How to get high resolutions (beyond Full HD) in a headless RDP session

Hi!

Just did that. Thanks for the advice. In case you want to close this and add the link to the

Technet Forum article

Cheers,

Udo

Udo Neßhöver, Jun 23, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

RDP to Headless Media Server

Are you also disconnecting the mouse and keyboard at the same time? Some bios won't boot without a mouse and keyboard - or there is a setting in bios to disable mouse and keyboard detection.

NavyLCDR, Jun 23, 2016
  5. thanks for the reply.

Yes the mouse and keyboard are disconnected, however the issue occurs when the machine is on already.

So yesterday morning for example, I had the machine connected to a monitor to finish setting up software etc, I unplugged the mouse, keyboard and monitor after that.

The RDP session worked ok, but then later in the day wouldn't allow me access.

When I got home I connected everything back up, and it was all completely locked. I couldn't even get a display to show on the monitor.

After rebooting with peripherals connected everything worked.

So I'm wondering if for some reason during the day, there was a random auto reboot, and then with no peripherals connected, that's whats caused it to lock up....hmmmmmmm

I shall have to look into the bios over the weekend.

christof21, Jun 23, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I highly recommend RDP Wrapper in your circumstance. Not sure if it will solve your specific issue or not but RPD Wrapper allows you to be in an RDP session without affecting the local console account logged it. So, when my media client computer boots, it automatically logs in to a local account created only to run KODI and KODI comes up on my TV which can be controlled by any number of remote control methods. With RDP Wrapper I can RDP into the media client computer on an administrator account (either MS account or local user account) and do what I need to do without the user account showing KODI on my TV being disturbed at all.

Download the zip file. I run install.bat as administrator. Then run update.bat as administrator. Then I run the RDPConf program and look for the "listening" status and "fully supported" status. Works great!
    Releases · stascorp/rdpwrap · GitHub

NavyLCDR, Jun 23, 2016
  7. Never heard of this before. I'll look into it. Thanks *Wink

christof21, Jun 24, 2016
  8. RDP to Headless Media Server

So I checked my motherboard settings over the weekend and there is a setting in there for disabling USB during boot until into the OS.

Not done anything with that so far, but have had the box connected to my monitors and USB devices over the weekend, so essentially running as a normal PC.

Some odd things happened, that I'm not sure about now.

Complete lock up of everything at some point when the PC wasn't in use.

Was running find via RDP all day yesterday. Around 6pm left alone until this morning.

Turned the monitors on, and there was a complete freeze of the system. No USB devices working at all. Networking not working either.

Stuck on the Windows 10 lock screen. Unable to RDP into the machine either, it's as if it wasn't on the network.

Something really odd. Rebooted and fine.

My power settings are set to never sleep or lock screen as it's been designed to run as a headless machine.

Completely baffled now

christof21, Jun 27, 2016
  9. wyldman68 Win User
    Is your network devices set to never sleep, too? Device manager / properties of the network device, power management, uncheck all boxes.

wyldman68, Jun 27, 2016
  10. I don't have a power management option in the network device properties at all.

I've checked the advanced tab as well, and no power management options at all.

christof21, Jun 27, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you have the latest drivers for the network adapter installed from either the manufacturer of the motherboard or from the manufacturer of the network adapter chip (probably Realtek or Intel)?

NavyLCDR, Jun 27, 2016
  12. I checked the latest drivers from the Asus website and the network adapter already has the latest versions.

I've updated the chipset and bios now as well to the latest versions for the MB.

Been running fine for days since doing that, then actually using the machine this morning, was in the middle of loading a website up and everything froze, so I got to see it happen this time live.

All peripherals stopped responding, screen froze, had to do a hard reboot.

Is there any sort of system monitoring I can install that might help explain what was happening leading up to the system freeze?

christof21, Jun 30, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

There are Windows event logs, but I am not really familiar with troubleshooting Windows freezing up. You might want to start a new thread about that problem under the General heading because it doesn't sound like that problem is related to the network connection specifically.

NavyLCDR, Jun 30, 2016
  14. Thanks, I'll do that now, as it's driving me crazy *Wink

christof21, Jul 5, 2016
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

the problem with running Windows as a headless server is that if it needs say an input for any reason before the OS can continue then you are literally "Stuffed". You'll need to satisfy the input request before the OS can continue and you'll have to do that on THE LOCAL machine !!!.

Windows is essentially a SINGLE USER GUI- so while you can use it as a headless server it's not ideal for this purpose.

You also need to disable anything that require periodic attention such as update reminders etc. If Windows updates automatically then you are hosed up as well.

IMO it's worth perservering with any decent Linux distro for running this type of server -- It's not that difficult to learn the basics. Just start with a "Live CD" to practice with and learn a few commands and you are all set. You don't need to be a Guru to get a system up and running.

All you need is to install SAMBA, your music / video servers, define your file shares and that's about it.
    (PLEX works fine on Linux for both music and Video serving and is recognized by Google Chromecast if you use one of those devices to play video on your remote TV's.)

Most Linuxes have a GUI very similar to Windows - KDE or MINT are good "Windows like" GUI's. Linux being a multi-user system from the outset won't halt if something needs an input request and will run very nicely as a headless server.

I'm running TWO "NAS" servers on CENTOS with KDE -- never a problem with them - rarely need booting either.

For CENTOS installing software is simple -- package YUMEX makes installing software very simple - easy GUI.

RDP to Headless Media Server [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 5, 2016
Thema:

1. RDP to Headless Media Server - Similar Threads - RDP Headless Media

2. Find computernames connected to a RDP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find computernames connected to a RDP server: Hello,On a Windows Server 2019 i'm looking for solution to export or display the computer name of every RDP connexions.The aim is to revoke some TSE licence by host.Thanks Thom...
  3. Unable to connect Server With RDP connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect Server With RDP connection: Hi, I am using windows 11, and Sever is Server 2008 R2. From day before yesterday everything was working fine. Yesterday I take remote of that server it Show Error and even ping was stopped too. So I Just restart My PC and issue resolved.Now again today is same scenario, but...
  4. Unable to connect Server With RDP connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect Server With RDP connection: Hi, I am using windows 11, and Sever is Server 2008 R2. From day before yesterday everything was working fine. Yesterday I take remote of that server it Show Error and even ping was stopped too. So I Just restart My PC and issue resolved.Now again today is same scenario, but...
  5. media servers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    media servers: i have around 40 media servers showing, all are grayed out. How can I get rid of all these ghosts ? My media section on the netgear genie has been all unchecked and server name removed....
  6. Media Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Server: Hello! I have a Sharp Smart Tv that I used to stream my photos, music and videos to. However now when I try to access the "Media Server" from the tv, I get "No server Found". I have checked the tv and no updates have been performed. The pc which is running Win 10 Home,...
  7. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  8. rdp license server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    rdp license server: Hello , i would like to know how to reactive rdp license server for windows server 2012 R2. I just deleted : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing ) but with out result. 88985
  9. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...
  10. How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?

How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?: I'll try to make this as un-convoluted as possible. I have multiple machines in my home. One of which, is a headless media server which runs Windows 10. This machine stays on 24/7 and runs various tasks, not the least of which is holding all of my media, and serving PLEX....