Windows 10: Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7

Discus and support Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded my motherboard on a system which had genuine win 7 that got the free upgrade to win 10. Now it asks for activation but I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EliasEv, Jul 9, 2018.

1. EliasEv Win User

Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7

I have recently upgraded my motherboard on a system which had genuine win 7 that got the free upgrade to win 10. Now it asks for activation but I don't have a valid win 10 key and on the troubleshooting page it says the ones that upgraded from Win 7 got the "digital license", but no mention on where to find it and weather I can use it instead of a product key.

:)

EliasEv, Jul 9, 2018
  2. ceck3 Win User

Activating Win 10 after replacing Motherboard

I recently had to replace a motherboard on a Lenovo ThinkCentre due to a blown power supply. After recovering, Windows was not activated and I can't use the troubleshooter to remediate. This system was shipped with Win 7 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 during
    the free promotion offer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get Win 10 reactivated in this scenario?

Also any thoughts on why Win 10 doesn't recognize the DVD or USB ports in File Explorer?

ceck3, Jul 9, 2018
  3. ScottWarr Win User
    Changing Motherboard on Win 10 that was upgraded from Win 7 OEM

I am wondering what I need to do after replacing the motherboard on my PC to get an activated version of win 10 Home. I realize that due to OEM version on win 7 before upgrade that I now have an OEM version of Win 10. I was not planning a fresh install
    so was hoping to boot up and install the necessary drivers for the new motherboard. If this works I assume I have to purchase a new license. Can I purchase a key online and just simply enter it to activate or will I need to fresh re-install. Moving from
    Intel z68 to Intel z170 skylake. Thanks...

ScottWarr, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Prokyp Win User

Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7

Activate Win 10 Pro after motherboard/OS upgrade

After parallel PC upgrades of motherboard and OS, (Win 7 to Win 10 Pro) I now need to activate Win 10 Pro. Can I purchase a digital license or product key to complete the task? I would prefer not to have to perform a clean install of Win 10 Pro as my system
    is working fine as is. I just need to activate the Win 10 Pro that's already installed.

Prokyp, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7 - Similar Threads - activation motherboard change

2. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  3. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  4. Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade: Previously I used win 10 with digital licences with Microsoft account added , now I upgrade motherboard and using same Microsoft account with is linked to window digital license, but trouble shooting not activating win 10...
  5. Activation problem after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation problem after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: When I check activation it shows "Unable to reach Windows activation servers". I have wireless connection thru router, in fact I logged into this forum and entered this post on laptop with the problem (#1 system info in profile). Any ideas? 141839
  6. I UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 FOR FREE

I UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 FOR FREE: I UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 FOR FREE. SCREEN BROKE ON MY LAPTOP SO I PLACED MY HARD DRIVE IN AN IDENTICAL LAPTOP. NOW WINDOWS IS NOT ACTIVATED. ANY WAY TO FIX THIS OR DO I HAVE DO BUY IT NOW?...
  7. ACTIVATING WIN 10 AFTER MOTHERBOARD CHANGE

ACTIVATING WIN 10 AFTER MOTHERBOARD CHANGE: Had to change out my motherboard and CPU and now trying to activate Win 10 but not able to do so !!! Have a 'Digital Licence' received after upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 during the free offer. Have tried the troubleshooter - this just goes in circles and tells me to try later -...
  8. Win 10 activation after changing motherboard

Win 10 activation after changing motherboard: Dear Manager, I just replaced a motherboard of the same brand. I activated Win 10 on the old motherboard with FPP USB version, and then I sent that motherboard to its A/S. Finally I received a new one. So, I am not able to access my old motherboard any more. Could you...
  9. Free Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - still waiting

Free Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - still waiting: My wife finally cracked and asked me to get her Laptop upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 for free - it was July 27. Clicked on the white windows upgrade icon in the system tray and was advised that the upgrade had been reserved/confirmed. I'm not usually impatient and I guess...
  10. Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!: Just bought a pre-loved laptop for Mrs (Sheelba, as I like to think of her) for our 34th Wedding anniversary. She already has a pre-hated android tablet which she won't use 'cos it hates her back too! I saw the Dell Latitude E6400 on Tuesday, and bought it the next day,...