Windows 10: Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

Discus and support Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Zachary Pfeifer, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue

:)

Zachary Pfeifer, Dec 8, 2023

2. Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure

Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure, now i cant get my windows to activate. the trouble shooter is no help.

TJ Heckard, Dec 8, 2023
  3. Activating a Windows 10 digital license - SATA drive to SSD

Thanks for that info Dave. I'm upgrading my PC in steps. My first step is to get Win10 installed on an SSD and verify I can boot to it. Then I'm going to install my old programs on the SSD, then copy over all of my "user data" (my personal data).

Once the above is done, I'm swapping out my MOBO and upgrading memory. When I swap out that MOBO, will I run into issues? I've heard sometimes moving a drive to a different MOBO can cause problems (something about Windows recognizing it's connected to a different MOBO and won't activate or indicates its an unauthorized copy of Windows. If that is true, how do I work around that once I get the SSD booting to my current MOBO then swap out the MOBO?

Thanks,

Andy

hikerguy6262, Dec 8, 2023
  4. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

Changing my MOBO and CPU a

I'm doing PC upgrades and changes entirely for my new mini-itx build.

I'm not sure about how the process would work, but what are the appropriate steps I need to undertake before making my changes?

• My personal data and files are backed up to my Onedrive, and have nothing to lose in terms of data.
    • I have an additional copy of Windows 10 (but would prefer not to use it in-case I do another PC build).
    • My MOBO and CPU upgrades are polar opposites of my current hardware:
      • OLD HARDWARE
        • Intel i5 6500
        • AsRock Killer MOBO
      • New Hardware
        • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
        • Asus Strix X-470
    This is my first time doing a particular change so guiding steps would be greatly appreciated! Things like how to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall Windows, etc.

Chris Anguiano, Dec 8, 2023
Thema:

Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

1. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO - Similar Threads - Activation swapping MOBO

2. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  3. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  4. Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure: Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure, now i cant get my windows to activate. the trouble shooter is no help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapped-mobo-and-cpu-due-to-failure/f87303da-d57c-45ec-a972-09e770dfd563
  5. Re-installing Windows after Motherboard Swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-installing Windows after Motherboard Swap: I recently swapped out my motherboard to a new one and tried to boot up using a windows USB drive. Windows was already loaded on my hard drive and was active prior to changing motherboards. After switching out motherboards and booting from the UDB drive I would receive the...
  6. Re-Activation of windows after mobo change

Re-Activation of windows after mobo change: So I changed my mobo and cpu, before I connected the licence for windows 10 pro to my Microsoft account, but now it says that im already logged in and can't recover my licence...
  7. Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade: I have recently installed a new motherboard, and the only thing left to do is reactivate Windows 10. I thought this was going to be easy. I prepared in advance by making sure my digital license was linked to my Microsoft account. After running the activation troubleshooter,...
  8. Swap mobo without re-install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swap mobo without re-install: I recently, I had a 2600K pc die on me and I swapped out the innards (motherboard, cpu and RAM) from a 4770K box without re-installing Windows 10 and all my software. I'd read here that it was possible, and was surprised how easy it was. I just got a message about getting...
  9. Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap: Hello, I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate (bought on eBay from retailer back then) and used my MS account the last year from begin with so the license was linked to it. After my mainboard died last week I had to make a move. It was around 8 years old and it's not avaible...
  10. Windows Activation after mobo change

Windows Activation after mobo change: Hi I have a legitimate version of Windows that I got many years ago as Windows 7. I have since upgraded this to Windows 10 and no longer have the CD with my product key stated on it - as I assumed my license was tied to my digital account. I have recently upgraded my mobo...