Windows 10: Re-directing the registry to another icon folder

Discus and support Re-directing the registry to another icon folder in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to change the registry value of the default folder my computer goes to when trying to replace icons? The default location (Win 10) is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kkorotev, Apr 30, 2016.

1. kkorotev Win User

Re-directing the registry to another icon folder

Is there a way to change the registry value of the default folder my computer goes to when trying to replace icons?
    The default location (Win 10) is C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll.

I would like to change that value to a specific folder of my own.

Ideas?

:)

kkorotev, Apr 30, 2016

2. Desktop folder now named Downloads

That sound incredibly similar to how I solved my issue.

You can do the exact same thing to fix your duplicate Desktop icon/folders.

• First, figure out which is the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder.
    • Second, find out where the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder is directing you.
    • Third, create a folder and rename it to the directory which the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder is linking to.
    • Lastly, merge the two folders or change the source or something of either the inauthentic Desktop icon/folder or the new folder.

I believe that should fix your problem without messing with the registry.

Anthony Falez, Apr 30, 2016
  3. Two documents folders

Thanks John, sounds like your folders are directed to the right place -- it's just that misplaced shortcut (without a shortcut arrow) on the desktop.

I wish I had any explanation on how that can have happened, but it's controlled by the registry here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

Desktop\NameSpace]

The entry with for the "Documents" is the key ('folder') of {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}. Delete that from the NameSpace registry key and reboot and the icon should be gone.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you could certainly try searching the registry for a path to that, and see if you can find it.... but that may not be such a wonderful idea.

What I have noted is that from 'Change Icon', Browse, the initial browse destination is retained for a while- probably the current session, I've not specially noted.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  5. kkorotev Win User
    Thanks, again dalchina. The more I play with this icon overhaul, the trickier it seems to get.

kkorotev, Apr 30, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    May I ask what it is you wish to change?
    For example, I customise my start menu folder icons (visible in Classic Shell - forget Win 10's start menu) and the corresponding folders where I install programs.

I also have some 77 Win 7 icons programatically applied (which still leaves plenty that could be changed).

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  7. kkorotev Win User
    It's a complete overhaul of program folders, shortcuts, drives, etc to a more standardized/personalized icon display. For example; I do freelance graphics. I have clients and projects active at different times and use different programs, folders, apps and such in a pretty predictable way. So, I try to categorize, let's say, "Image manipulation" programs/folders/etc with a common icon. IOW: icons represent the category of things more than the identity of the thing. Another example: there are dozens of icons Windows uses for tools/maintenance/disk maintenance/etc. Many, I never use....so many have been assigned a blank icon and many tool TYPES have the same icon. It will all revert to Windows default at the next upgrade, but I'm learning things along the way, so...
    Thanks for asking.

kkorotev, Apr 30, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  9. kkorotev Win User
    I will look again, but I think I read that it doesn't work well with Windows 10...I'll get back to you...

kkorotev, Apr 30, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
  11. kkorotev Win User
    Now...once I installed THIS ONE:
    Download IconPackager - latest version
    Things started looking up. I don't know what will happen at the trial's end nor do I see how to register the license code I DID buy (9.99), but for organization purposes, I think I'm getting the hang of it

kkorotev, Apr 30, 2016
  12. System Icons tend to be customised via the registry and so a .reg file could achieve that. Some of the system icons are stored in reg entries that are accessible only by TrustedInstaller and so would need lower registry permission entries to access

Folder icons are customised with desktop.ini files in the respective folders themselves. These are frequently locked by the system as well such as Program Files and Windows. There are ways around most of them though.

Hearsepilot, May 2, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

System icons are resources within, for example, dlls. They are not held in the registry. For example, I customise some 77 icons in imageres.dll programatically to get (e.g.)

Re-directing the registry to another icon folder [​IMG]

If I repair my system, imageres.dll is replaced, and my icons by standard Win 10 icons.

Of course, that's far from the only file containing icons- most exe's and many dlls do.

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  14. I realised i mis-typed after seeing your reply, i meant system folder icons. (I realise not all are customisable)

Hearsepilot, May 2, 2016
  15. kkorotev Win User
    FOUND IT!
    Change folder icon or color by one mouse click. Mark folders!
    The feature(s) I've been looking for are buried and you have to purchase the pro version (search for a promo code discount to save $3.5 bucks) but: I've been putting it the test this afternoon and it works! You can also drag and drop (after a windows search) all folders with a common name (like: Windows) and assign a common icon to them all...all at once. You can also apply a common icon to all sub-folders in one click.

kkorotev, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-directing the registry to another icon folder - Similar Threads - directing registry another

2. Sending file or folder directly to another folder by right click followed by send button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sending file or folder directly to another folder by right click followed by send button?: How I can send a word file directly to a particular/specific folder. I mean X file of word or a folder, how I can send to Y folder, by pressing the right click followed by "send" button....
  3. Sending file or folder directly to another folder by right click followed by send button?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sending file or folder directly to another folder by right click followed by send button?: How I can send a word file directly to a particular/specific folder. I mean X file of word or a folder, how I can send to Y folder, by pressing the right click followed by "send" button....
  4. re-direct folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    re-direct folders: My software uses a lot of addons and stores & reads this data from a document folder in user/docs on my C drive. This is doc folder is now getting rather large and takes up a lot of space on my C drive. I would like to transfer that document folder from my C drive to my D...
  5. re-direct folders

re-direct folders: My software uses a lot of addons and stores & reads this data from a document folder in user/docs on my C drive. This is doc folder is now getting rather large and takes up a lot of space on my C drive. I would like to transfer that document folder from my C drive to my D...
  6. Folder Re-Direction

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Re-Direction: Dear ExpertsGood day. Hope my message finds you well. I have an issue with a redirection policy :My company used the folder re-direction policy to move the documents from Local user profile to a server path \\server\%userprofile%\Documents.In the policy settings the Option...
  7. Folder Re-Direction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Re-Direction: Dear ExpertsGood day. Hope my message finds you well. I have an issue with a redirection policy :My company used the folder re-direction policy to move the documents from Local user profile to a server path \\server\%userprofile%\Documents.In the policy settings the Option...
  8. Folder Re-Direction

9. Clicked Links Re-Directing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clicked Links Re-Directing: Hi, whenever I click a link in web page which is set to open in a new tab, the page, I am expecting In this case Vonage, does not open but it re-directs to this page...
  10. Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon: This is my first week with Windows 10 and I'm just starting to install my software. Usually I move the desktop shortcut created from software installation to a custom folder where I keep all my shortcuts organized by category. In Windows 10, if I move the shortcut from the...