Windows 10: Re-enable previously deferred Creator's Update

Discus and support Re-enable previously deferred Creator's Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I successfully used this tutorial: Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cniggeler, Oct 24, 2017.

1. cniggeler Win User

Re-enable previously deferred Creator's Update

Hi, I successfully used this tutorial:
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

to defer Creator's Update in Windows 10. It did not prevent usoft from nagging me twice a day about the update, and when it does, it grays out everything else, e.g., while typing an email or writing this post :-(

Anyway, I've done my disk backup and am now ready to install Creator's Update. I have unchecked "Pause feature updates" under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update/Defer Windows Updates/Select when Feature Updates are received.

The question is, is there a way to make Windows start the Feature Update _now_? I have made the time to do this update and would like to just get 'er done. Thanks!

:)

cniggeler, Oct 24, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

KB4056892 Update Problem

HIDE / BLOCK WIN AND DRIVER UPDATES

Microsoft has released KB3073930 that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

2017 10 09- HOW TO DEFER WINDOWS FALL CREATORS UPDATE – FCU

https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-defer-wind...

2017 04 04- DELAY OR DEFER UPDATES UP TO 365 DAYS IN WIN10 1703

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-delay-or-defe...

Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703) allows you to choose when updates are installed on your PC. Using the new settings available, one can delay or defer updates for up to 365 days.

Rohn007, Oct 24, 2017
  3. M.Varis Win User
    Locked out of Windows after Fall Creators Update

I could not found any fix for this issue. None of the 'Double Login' issue fixes from the internet worked for me. I had no other option than to delete my boy's Windows account and re-create it. Bad Microsoft! Bad!!!

I'll be sure to avoid big Windows 10 updates/upgrades from now on. I'm thinking of disabling the Windows Update service and enabling it annually once after a Windows backup/restore point, and not updating everything it offers (only the most critical patches).
    My logic: better keep a working and not so up-to-date computer, than an up-to-date and partially/non working computer.

Another recommended is to defer or pause Windows Updates. Although my Windows 10 Pro does not offer those options for some reason, so I'm bound to use the above mentioned mechanism.

How to Defer or Pause: Deferring updates in Windows 10 version 1703 (or newer)

M.Varis, Oct 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You can download the iso manually- note that the current build is the 'Fall Creator's Update' - 1709. 1703 was the Creator's update.
    (See tutorial in Tutorial section for how to do that- search for 'iso').
    You might like to explore recent comments on that build.

I had Defer feature updates enabled- and that is fine for a certain time, then I was offered it - which is how that works. Using the group policy editor you can extend the time for which you defer it.

You can try a manual check for Windows Updates in Settings.

Make sure you've created a disk image (e.g. Macrium reflect (free) ) - not just a backup- for maximum security.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  5. cniggeler Win User
    Thanks for your reply. Windows Update already has the download, and the reason I used the tutorial was that Windows kept trying to install it despite other settings I made previously. (It was annoying because security fixes would be listed, and want to install those, but it kept sneakily adding Creator's Update to the download. I caught it in the process of installing Creator's Update after the security updates, and prevented future attempts using the gpedit settings.)

So while I can download the .iso, is there then a way to delete the image that Windows Update already has, to recover that file's size on my SSD?

cniggeler, Oct 24, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hmm... best not to interfere with procedures like that part way through.

You'll probably find it's not downloaded the whole thing.. just a stub.
    The usual thing to do would be to delete the content of this folder:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/softwa...der-in-windows

Are you aware of being able to set updates to Notify (so you usually have an action centre notification, then clicking on it opens Settings to show you what the updates are- before they are downloaded?

E.g. a tutorial here on enable disable Windows Updates and Winaero's free tweaker for convenience (with full explanation).

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  7. cniggeler Win User
    That was the prior setting I was referring to. The problem is, you are notified of security updates, then Update tacks the Creator's Update to the end of that, and so you're left hanging in front of the Updater, waiting for it to go thru the 10 or so security updates and stopping it before it got to Creator's Update.

(You can see I went thru this a couple times before I found the gpedit tutorial! I don't like "major" updates because they reset everything. For instance, I have a Start Button replacement tool because I hate Win8/Win10 start tiles, and a major update wipes that away...)

cniggeler, Oct 24, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  9. temple25 Win User
    be careful ... backups and/or restore may not be available .... indows update killed 2 of my computers - 1 computer will not boot after windows creator update 1703 - cannot restore - or use any of the Microsoft troubleshooting "solutions" - needed to use a previous version (8) install cd to get to the command prompt nut sill could not find a "fix' - Lenovo ThinkPad laptop is dead - black screen - cannot boot -also a Dell Desktop - after update the Audio did not function - Also HP Desktop several apps did not function and audio did not function - Microsoft has unleashed a real problem with the 1703 update ---- BEWWARE --- delay your updates if possible - NOTE many people couple NOT even access their backup drives or any system restore functions - the 1703 - the Windows Creator Update KILLS computers ===== not good ..... I have been a windows support person since windows 3.0 nut I am now VERY disappointed in Microsoft .... very disappointed

temple25, Oct 24, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    The inevitability of the unpredictable is why we continually and repeatedly advocate the routine use of disk imaging.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  11. tfwul Win User
    YES indeed!
    Download Windows 10 ISO File
    My personal opinion is that Microsoft should include a kind of built-in 'create image functionality', in case of major updates.
    One way or the other, the restore of a Windows previous version, after a failed update, isn't exactly the same as before (= as a real image).
    At least, that is that is my experience.

-

tfwul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-enable previously deferred Creator's Update - Similar Threads - enable previously deferred

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. About deferring updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    About deferring updates: Hey, I recently activated activated the "defer updates" feature but, I was wondering if I enable option 2 in automatic updates through group policy wich will only notify me. Will I download the latest updates regardless of the time range I set to defer the updates if I update...
  5. WUFB Deferred Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WUFB Deferred Updates: Hi I hope someone can help me, I have rolled out WUFB and as most companies we deferred the Updates in different Deployments Rings. Just so I know what will be installed on client devices is there a method to show all the Updates that will be installed on the local...
  6. Deferring Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  7. Reverse Defer Updates

Reverse Defer Updates: I have seen a lot of threads regarding the "Defer Updates" feature in Windows 10 Pro. After activating this feature by checking the Defer Update box, is there a way to to reverse "Defer Updates" and start receiving all updates again? 40652
  8. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...
  9. Fall Creators Update not enabling Onedrive on demand.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fall Creators Update not enabling Onedrive on demand.: That is what is going on. No option under Onedrive settings either. Henry 95685
  10. Re-enable Restore Previous Version?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Re-enable Restore Previous Version?: In windows 10 Home, is it possible to reenable the "Restore Previous Version" function that came with Windows 7, or is there any software that I can but that does the same thing? This would be in addition to my regular backup routine, rather than instead of it. 85004