Windows 10: Re: I cannot get past windows login screen

Discus and support Re: I cannot get past windows login screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When the login screen appears it also says I forgot password. I have tried to retrieve my password but that doesn't work. Eventually I got a black... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by SusanW, Mar 1, 2018.

1. SusanW Win User

Re: I cannot get past windows login screen

When the login screen appears it also says I forgot password.
    I have tried to retrieve my password but that doesn't work.
    Eventually I got a black screen with the windows symbol date time
    etc at the bottom but unable to click on any of them. At the side of
    the cursor/arrow is an egg timer Help

:)

SusanW, Mar 1, 2018

2. forgot password

i forgot my login password (windows 10) on my new hp laptop & cannot get past the login screen

TomEbersole, Mar 1, 2018
  3. Cannot get past login screen

Hi Sarah,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system as you are unable to get in through lock screen. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic repair of the computer that you are unable
    to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1: Download
    Windows 10 from the below link and create media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Automatic Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Automatic Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Automatic repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Automatic repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 1, 2018
  4. Re: I cannot get past windows login screen

Hi SusanW

Have you been able to log in?

Is this a local account or Microsoft account?

Is your data backed up?

Caledon Ken, Mar 4, 2018
  5. SusanW Win User
    No I haven't.

This is my husbands computer and he doesn't use it very often.
    I think he may have done some thing last time he switched it off.
    I am really not sure what kind of account it is.
    There isn't much data to back up.
    I think I will get some one to come and take a look at it.
    Thank you

Susan

SusanW, Mar 5, 2018
  6. Okay. Let us now if you need help.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Re: I cannot get past windows login screen

1. Re: I cannot get past windows login screen - Similar Threads - cannot past login

2. Cannot Get Past Windows 10 Loading Screen

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot Get Past Windows 10 Loading Screen: Hi, I've had a really frustrating day trying to get my computer back up and running but I have very little technical knowledge to help me. I built the computer myself 4 years ago and it has been running fine in general; however, there have been times where it failed to...
  3. problem getting past login

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    problem getting past login: problem getting past login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-getting-past-login/846791a4-cd73-4eb6-ba73-d40cf444b500
  4. Cannot get past the welcome screen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot get past the welcome screen.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ookgluk32 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eac6xb/cannot_get_past_the_welcome_screen/
  5. Cannot proceed past windows login screen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot proceed past windows login screen.: submitted by /u/boredboi92 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7iff4/cannot_proceed_past_windows_login_screen/
  6. Can't Get Past Welcome/Login Screen on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Get Past Welcome/Login Screen on Windows 10: Hi, I've got Windows 10 installed on my laptop and everything was fine until this morning when I opened it. I closed it last night so it might have gone into sleep mode, but I definitely did not turn it off. This morning I opened it up and tried to log in. I enter my pin...
  7. Windows 10 update on restart and now I can't get past recovery screen and cannot login any...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update on restart and now I can't get past recovery screen and cannot login any...: Today i restarted my laptop which is a HP with windows 10. When restarting a update launched and it took a long time to perform, longer than i have had before. Since then when i tried to log into my profile it said it cannot launch the profile, so i restarted and it let me...
  8. Re: Have to click to get login screen?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Re: Have to click to get login screen?: This is a follow up to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-to-click-to-get-login-screen/5223f7de-d63b-4f06-a914-d6e9869e4b92 because that topic is locked for some reason that i can't see. Apparently more people have this problem (including me and my...
  9. Cannot get to login screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get to login screen.: Hi, My pc refuses to show the login screen. All I see is the mouse cursor and a black screen. I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which are working so I know windows is loaded. Also win+p brings up the project a screen thing and win+u brings up narrator. Any ideas on how...
  10. Cant get past login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cant get past login screen: Computer has been working on win 10 for several months. Lately had problems with login screen. We have never used a password before. Now I cant do anything because it demands a password which I do not know. Incidentally I now see two users with same name. One user...