Windows 10: Re Install of windows 10 home

Discus and support Re Install of windows 10 home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got this desktop with windows 10 home pre installed when I bought it from Zoostorm computers. I have some small issues with it,As you may see one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by menu, Jun 9, 2016.

1. menu Win User

Re Install of windows 10 home

I got this desktop with windows 10 home pre installed when I bought it from Zoostorm computers.
    I have some small issues with it,As you may see one of my postings regarding problem with the mail app.
    Now my question is if and when I decide to do a clean install of windows 10 home as there might be a small issue with the existing one.
    When I do attack the job will it be straight forward as it has windows 10 installed.
    Will I just need to put the DVD that I made last year when W10 started its actually an iso of W10 or will I need a more up to date iso.?
    During install will I have any issues with the licence number regarding a clean install.Will I need anything other that the upto date iso etc.
    I have a SSD fitted and a HDD supplied by Zoostorm on the SSD are the operating system,All my documents photos music video are on the HDD.
    So all my personal info will be safe.
    Many Thanks.David.

:)

menu, Jun 9, 2016

2. Re-Install Windows 10 Home

Hello,

To better diagnose the issue,

Right click Start>Command Prompt-Admin and type in the following command:

slmgr.vbs /dlv

If you have Powershell instead of Command Prompt Run these in order:

cmd.exe

slmgr.vbs /dlv

You will get a window, take a screenshot using snipping tool and paste it it next reply.

How to get a screenshot and post back:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 9, 2016
  3. Re-Install Windows 10 Home

Do you have an option to click Command Prompt (Admin)?

If so, click that option.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 9, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

I would try a repair install using an in-place upgrade first, to see if your issues can be resolved that way.

It would be best to download the latest ISO from MS (either MCT or TechBench).

Once a system has had W10 installed and activated, W10 can be clean installed as many times as you need/want, and a key is not required (just skip if asked). The system will auto-activate based on the digital entitlement it has on the MS servers.

Be sure the HDD with your data is disconnected when you clean install, to avoid Windows writing boot files to that drive.

simrick, Jun 10, 2016
  5. menu Win User
    I
    simrick .........Many thanks for your reply I most probably will have a go at the above (REPAIR)

Thanks once again.*Cool

6. simrick Win User
    You're quite welcome. Let us know how it goes, and be sure to ask if you have any questions. *Smile

simrick, Jun 11, 2016
  7. menu Win User
    Hi Before I jump in and do this repair.May I ask one other point Please.
    In the settings section in the windows update section there is an option there Recovery ....Reset this PC and gives an option to keep files or remove them.Will this do the same job as the repair that I intend to do hopefully on Thursday.
    I have got all the necessary info ready.Just noticed that other option.*Confused
    Will it be the best plan to follow your option as per link you gave.
    Many thanks just finding all options before I get started on Thursday.*Think
    Thanx once again.
    David

8. simrick Win User

Hi David.
    The RESET will retain your files, but will uninstall every program that doesn't come with Windows.
    The repair install using an in-place upgrade will retain all files and programs. That's why I suggested you might try that first. Of course, if you don't have much to reinstall, then you could just do the reset, or clean install.

So, the procedure would look like this:
    1. Repair install using an in-place upgrade
    (if that doesn't work)
    2. Reset
    (if that doesn't work)
    3. Clean install (using a current ISO, with the mechanical drive disconnected)

Not a problem - ask your questions before you begin; that's the best way! *Smile

simrick, Jun 13, 2016
  9. menu Win User
    Thank You Very Much.
    Will proceed on Thursday with the........... 1. Repair install using an in-place upgrade.

Will have a go.Thanks Will let you know the outcome.
    David

10. simrick Win User
    Sounds like a plan! *Smile

simrick, Jun 13, 2016
  11. menu Win User
    Hi.May
    I ask what part of the world are you.
    I'm in south wales UK

12. simrick Win User
    USA

simrick, Jun 13, 2016
  13. menu Win User

simrick.
    I'm back and up and running.
    Decided yesterday early evening to have a go at the mater in question.All went okay but I did make one little mistake I selected the wrong option to save my files etc and therefore it did a complete new reinstall.
    That wasn't a problem as I didn't have a great deal of programs on the C drive it was office and printer photo edit software.All round it took about three hours all together doing the reinstall of programs etc.
    Also I had to delete the earlier windows through the disc clean up as it was windows old.Went okay.
    C Drive is now 25GB SSD would that be about right for windows 10.As all documents are on another internal hdd.

Now getting back to some of the issues that I had before they have seemed to be solved since this new install.
    But there is one annoying problem that is getting on my ****.Is the new mail that is in windows 10 the app is working okay having new mail and sending all is well.
    The only issue is the new mail notification does not work it don't show up in the notification box near the clock.I had this problem before now with a now install I thought that it would have been solved But it aint.

See my posting on the mail app here.Done all the settings possible.

New mail app - Windows 10 Forums

Is there an email notification software that I can install to solve this issue an independent software I know its not a big problem but its very annoying that something that should work and it don't.
    Well many thanks for all your help once again.
    David.

14. simrick Win User
    Hi David.
    Glad to hear it's finished, and went well. Good thing you only had a few applications to reinstall! *Wink So your W10 installation is taking up about 25GB on your SSD? That sounds about right, yes. Did you have the mechanical drive (data) physically disconnected when you did this?

I will have a read of your thread and the linked instructions there. I do have one question though - if you installed Office, do you have Outlook then, for emails?

I'm sorry, as I don't use an email client at all on my systems. I grab all my emails from the web-based interfaces, so I'm not very well-versed on this stuff. I do, however, install email clients for others, and maintain computers which use email clients, so I am familiar with them. Personally, I prefer Thunderbird, but that would defeat the integration with Cortana and the W10 OS in general. So, let me see what I can find poking around.

simrick, Jun 14, 2016
  15. menu Win User
    Hi Thanks for prompt reply.
    Yes I have Microsoft office 2010 and yes I use outlook.com and gmail for email.
    I do hope that I can overcome this issue.
    What it is my wife has a laptop with exactly the same settings as my desktop office 2010 and outlook email.

Thanks David

Thema:

1. Re Install of windows 10 home - Similar Threads - Install home

2. Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...: Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do the upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-home-is-installed-a-win11-pro-dvd-is-bought/8f7a385f-83b3-46de-86a7-92aa653fb2d0
  3. Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...: Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do the upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-home-is-installed-a-win11-pro-dvd-is-bought/8f7a385f-83b3-46de-86a7-92aa653fb2d0
  4. Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?: Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-a-new-ssd-windows-home-premium-using/c1609ff5-6fc7-4367-9fde-644e17bf7d7f
  5. Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?

Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?: Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-a-new-ssd-windows-home-premium-using/c1609ff5-6fc7-4367-9fde-644e17bf7d7f
  6. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa: Hello,To say I am beyond frustrated with Windows Update is an understatement and I know I'm not alone from my research! Now that I got that out of the way...A couple days ago, my leading brand antivirus solution decided to error on an update which took out my previous Windows...
  7. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa: Hello,To say I am beyond frustrated with Windows Update is an understatement and I know I'm not alone from my research! Now that I got that out of the way...A couple days ago, my leading brand antivirus solution decided to error on an update which took out my previous Windows...
  8. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Hackers converted Home edition into work added 13 users with trusted installer credentials

Hackers converted Home edition into work added 13 users with trusted installer credentials: My Microsoft home was hacked, turned into a work account and 13 users added with installer privileges. I am an attorney and they have access to confidential info. They change all privileges to allow chromecast or mirrorcast and use across several devices. They also hacked...
  10. Hackers converted Home edition into work added 13 users with trusted installer credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hackers converted Home edition into work added 13 users with trusted installer credentials: My Microsoft home was hacked, turned into a work account and 13 users added with installer privileges. I am an attorney and they have access to confidential info. They change all privileges to allow chromecast or mirrorcast and use across several devices. They also hacked...