Windows 10: re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade

Discus and support re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a notepad programmed with W8.1, hence it came with no Windows 8.1 CDs, and I took advantage of the free download to upgrade to Windows 10. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by frustratedagain, Nov 30, 2016.

1. re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade

I bought a notepad programmed with W8.1, hence it came with no Windows 8.1 CDs, and I took advantage of the free download to upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to get rid of the notepad and need to wipe it clean and re-install the OS. But I've nothing for the OS. What do I do? I intend to use a highly recommended software to totally remove any possible trace to anything I'd put on the HD. That, to me, means blanked, cleaned, nothing remaining. Help!

:)

frustratedagain, Nov 30, 2016
  2. ntnsv Win User

Windows 10 Reinstallation

Windows 8 was bought during the Microsoft's promo in 2012 when the laptop was acquired. It was upgraded to Windows 8 during that time and 8.1 was acquired through the update. Does that qualify? I am not sure if there will be conficts with the VAIO when I
    installed Windows 10 on it using the Windows 8 key and now I am to install it with the original Windows 7 key. If that is the case, I can just upgrade to W10 again using the original path. Will there be conflicts if I am to upgrade to W10 using W7 instead
    of the W8/8.1 that I used before?

The other PC is an older VAIO with Vista originally installed. I am thinking of installing the W8/8.1 on it so I can update it with W10. I can leave it be as it's already an old system.

Thanks,

ntnsv, Nov 30, 2016
  3. where is my windows 10 upgrade

If this person originating this thred is indeed a technician then they should understand the "basic" fundamentals of upgrading to Windows 10. First and MOST importantly you MUST have either an activated and fully licensed version of Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 installed
    before windows update will even offer the W10 upgrade. OR have a valid W10 license key to pair to your install of W10 from ISO via whatever medium you are installing from. Please bear in mind that downloading the W10 ISO WILL be a clean install vice an upgrade.
    As previously stated its FREE ONLY if you already have a licensed version of Windows running and ONLY via windows updates. If you have re-installed the same w7 license more than the number of times allowed per the MS EULA, that would be the most likely reason
    your key will not now validate and activate to be eligible for W10.

Secondarily, windows update will allow normal updates to install IF the installed OS has been validated GENUINE. Genuine DOES NOT mean you have a valid license. Whatever the reason any license key doesn't work is the burden of the end user.

SOA Gaming, Nov 30, 2016
  4. SoFine409 Win User

re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade

if you obtained Win10 by upgrading and you have not done a clean install of Win 10 then you can probably use the recovery partition to restore Win 8.1 to the factory installed configuration. Look through the documentation that came with unit for instructions or go the manufactures web site for specific instructions.

SoFine409, Nov 30, 2016
  5. Thanks for your suggestion.

frustratedagain, Nov 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Before you do anything, I would export the third party device drivers by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and running:

dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

the path in red will be to an external storage device with a folder created on it to hold the drivers.

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2016
  7. I got Error 87, the .....destination option is unknown. Several suggestions to learn more about dism.exe lead nowhere.

frustratedagain, Dec 1, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /export-driver /? Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Image Version: 10.0.14393.0 /Export-Driver /Destination:<path_to_destination_folder> Export all third-party driver packages from a Windows image to a destination path. Examples: DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\destpath C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] And
    DISM Driver Servicing (.inf) Command-Line Options

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2016
  9. And
    DISM Driver Servicing (.inf) Command-Line Options[/quote]
    Thanks for assuming I would understand, but I don't. Could you possibly explain how I can make this work for me?

frustratedagain, Dec 1, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    This only works on Windows 8 or Windows 10, not Windows 7. You make a folder on an external storage device such as a USB flash drive. I recommend at least 4 GB free space on it. Lets say you call the folder Drivers. Of course there has to be a drive letter assigned for you to make the folder, lets say it gets the drive letter E:. With the USB flash drive inserted, and you can see E:\Drivers in file explorer:
    Right click on the start icon, and select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Window that opens you would run:

dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

Change the E:\Drivers part to match the drive letter and folder you create to hold them. The folder can be on C: drive if you want, but you will have to move them off of C: drive before you do a reset or clean install of Windows.

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2016
  11. It was the spaces that I missed. Once I entered the spaces correctly, it worked. Thanks to all here for the help.

frustratedagain, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade - Similar Threads - install w10 originally

2. original widows can be download for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    original widows can be download for free: i am a good worker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/original-widows-can-be-download-for-free/b17bb2c8-5b32-4417-a767-9194f8770f57
  3. original widows can be download for free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    original widows can be download for free: i am a good worker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/original-widows-can-be-download-for-free/b17bb2c8-5b32-4417-a767-9194f8770f57
  4. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  5. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  6. Re-Installation of Original OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Installation of Original OS: I bought Windows 10 pro original OS and installed in my computer recently I am facing some problems. So that I wanted to re-install the OS. I lost my original CD but I have Product ID 00330-71312-22123-AAOEM. Can I use the same product ID for the re-installation in the same...
  7. Re-Installing W10

Re-Installing W10: Hi, HP desktop. I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. I do not have W7 product key. I would like to fresh install W10 Pro because my PC has so much junk. I will use a W10 ISO file downloaded from the web. Will I be asked for a key when re-installing W10.....? Thank...
  8. W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10

W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10: I have a Linx 8 tablet that originally came with Windows 8.1. I then upgraded to Windows 10 via the free update route during the year that it was offered. However, the OS has become corrupted and the only thing that I have to be able to restore is the original Windows...
  9. Free W10 upgrade

Free W10 upgrade: Like I mentioned earlier my Acer I did an upgrade a bit over two weeks ago and the upgrade worked using my 7Starter keys and was upgraded to Home and I'm not talking out of my @$$. I didn't like how much slower it was when it was appified so I ripped it out by the roots and...
  10. Fresh RE-install for free upgrade to windows 10?

Fresh RE-install for free upgrade to windows 10?: Several months ago I got the free upgrade from Win 7 to 10. I did fresh install onto a blank HDD using a proper ISO and used the key on the bottom of my Toshiba laptop. Toshiba provided no Win 10 drivers, but I got everything working with 7 and 8 drivers. Now the question...