Windows 10: Re-install win 10 from upgrade

Discus and support Re-install win 10 from upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I recently did a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 (legal copy). I downloaded the iso and made a bootable disc. I retrieved the installation key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windsurfer, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Re-install win 10 from upgrade

Hello
    I recently did a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 (legal copy). I downloaded the iso and made a bootable disc. I retrieved the installation key from my computer but i am just wondering if i can do a clean install with that disc and the installation key that i have or would i have to purchase a win 10 program.
    Thank you.

:)

Windsurfer, Apr 2, 2018
  2. BB2016 Win User

Re downloading/installing Windows 10 on a new HD

I had a major SSD HD failures and want to re-install windows 10 on the second HD. I originally received a free Win 10 because i upgraded from XP to Win 7. Do I have to re-install XP and upgrade again to re-install Win 10.

Thank you

BB2016, Apr 2, 2018
  3. Re-install Windows10

Due to problems with the upgrade from Win 7, can I do a re- install of Win 10 ?

Rich353MILL, Apr 2, 2018
  4. Re-install win 10 from upgrade

You can use the same key again, it should be in your Bios also , after first install.............

pietcorus2, Apr 2, 2018
  5. If your Windows 7 key is an OEM key, it will be totally useless when clean installing Windows 10.

What you need to do, is:

First of all make sure which OS edition your Windows 7 is (Home, Pro, Enterprise)
    Second verify that you downloaded the correct Windows 10 installation media (if you used the MS tools, you have most likely all editions there)
    Next do a full system disc image backup of your current installation using Macrium Reflect.
    Next upgrade current OS to Windows 10 using your created media.
    Next connect your local computer account to an Microsoft account by opening any Microsoft App and logging in using your MS credentials and let the OS connect to all services using that account.
    Finally go to Settings->Updates And Security->Activation and verify that the dialog says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

Like this:

Re-install win 10 from upgrade [​IMG]

Next time you decide to clean install Windows 10, skip the SERIAL KEY part, as it will let you install without one. Once you are in Windows 10 and your computer is connected to the internet, you can go and verify the activation status as described above.

If you decided to create a local user account during setup instead of logging straight into and MS account, do the "connect to MS account" procedure again described above and your Windows should automatically activate with your digital license.

I've done this a million (too many to be counted) times and it works every time.

I highly recommend you create a local account instead of an MS account during clean install, since it makes managing things a lot easier if you ever run into any issues.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  6. Thank you
    Win 7 PRO not OEM but a purchased product.
    Upgraded with the downloaded ISO bootable disc.
    Windows is activated with a digital license linked to my microsoft account.
    I have a seperate data drive so nothing on my C: needs to be saved.
    I noticed that GPEDIT is not available in the home edition but i managed to install it anyway saving myself the cost of a PRO upgrade.
    So i am assuming i am good to go.
    Thanks for the help.

Windsurfer, Apr 2, 2018
  7. You're very welcome!

You have a retail key then, that should work on Windows 10 too, at least for now.

If you ever run into any licencing issues, look up the ShowKeyPlus threads here on Tenforums and contact the OP of that thread.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  8. Word Man Win User

Re-install win 10 from upgrade

Win 7 Pro (while free upgrade still operative) is entitled to upgrade to Win 10 Pro: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-upgrade-paths

I just did this a couple of weeks ago on my old work laptop with Win 7 Pro, after I bought it from my employer.

Word Man, Apr 2, 2018
  9. Yes, good point, I did this too a while back.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    As you have already upgraded, just clean install windows 10 and skip key entry - that's all.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Re-install win 10 from upgrade

1. Re-install win 10 from upgrade - Similar Threads - install upgrade

2. Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work: My computer has been stuck on "Undoing changes from update" for a week now, ive decided to reinstall windows as that was the only way to get out from what i read.I downloaded the windows installer to a USB drive and i booted into it from my computers boot menu.The problem i...
  3. Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work: My computer has been stuck on "Undoing changes from update" for a week now, ive decided to reinstall windows as that was the only way to get out from what i read.I downloaded the windows installer to a USB drive and i booted into it from my computers boot menu.The problem i...
  4. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...: I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install windows 11 on the pc I'm upgrading from 10 without using the original hardrive and without purchasing a new license?I'm theoretically using the same system to upgrade to 11. i don't want...
  5. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...: I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install windows 11 on the pc I'm upgrading from 10 without using the original hardrive and without purchasing a new license?I'm theoretically using the same system to upgrade to 11. i don't want...
  6. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

7. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...
  8. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...
  9. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive

Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive: I have a windows 11 notebook.. further win 11 upgrade corrupted my SSD drive. Now it boots to a notebook which says there is no network hardware in notebook. I am furious that a Microsoft "ambassador" led me down a path to no results, said he was transferring me to technical...