Windows 10: Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu

Discus and support Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my desktop system as I want to give it a good clear-out. I've created the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alexncfc, Nov 5, 2017.

1. alexncfc Win User

Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu

Hi all,

I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my desktop system as I want to give it a good clear-out.

I've created the Windows 10 boot media on a USB stick, and this is what I see on the UEFI BIOS F8 boot menu:

Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu [​IMG]

Previously on this system when installing Windows on this system I've always just selected the standard USB (3rd one down/not UEFI) option to install Windows, as I did last night, but then I re-installed it again (not a problem as only takes 5-10 mins) using the UEFI USB option on the boot menu, just out of curiosity. I then discovered that rather than showing the Windows logo during boot, it continues to show the ASUS BIOS logo, and whilst I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just a logo change, it has got me wondering: which install method is best, the standard USB boot option or the UEFI USB option??

I don't know enough about this and I don't really know where to start so thought this would be the best place to come. Which option would you suggest and what the benefits/drawbacks of either option? I noticed that when installing via the UEFI method, there are some different entries in Device Manager in Windows, and the boot time was also marginally quicker (but then it was always pretty fast at starting) so does Windows do things differently when the UEFI installation method is used, and if so, what?

Would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks!

:)

alexncfc, Nov 5, 2017

2. How Should I Update To Win 10 from Win 7 when I still need Win 7?

Boot the stick using the
    BIOS Boot Menu Key
    as a UEFI device if you have UEFI BIOS which you obviously do with those settings.

Since all UEFI firmware settings are slightly different, you may need to change Boot List Option to UEFI to get the UEFI flash stick choice when you use the BIOS Boot menu key.

The Boot Priority order should always have the WIndows Boot Manager first for a UEFI install, which is why we use the BIOS Boot menu key to trigger the UEFI flash stick choice. Otherwise it will start the install over again when the install restarts.

If in doubt about any of the UEFI Firmware settings, post back the choices. Pictures can help.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 5, 2017
  3. Ryan989 Win User
    Windows 10 Refresh PC

Hi,

I have tried booting from a USB stick and a CD with the windows 10 software on there, it loads it up with the windows logo and then that goes and it goes to a black screen like it's crashed and it just sits there. It's booting from the USB stick and it does
    the same and its booting from the CD and it does the same too!!!!

Has this windows 10 messed up my computer completely?!?!

Ive tried booting on the menu:

LEGACY BOOT:

CD/DVD/CD-RE drive

UEFI BOOT:

UEFI DVD1 PATH1 (PLDS DVD+/-RW DU-8A5HH)

Same for the USB stick, and the same thing happens, it loads the windows logo and then just goes to a black screen and does nothing. What can i do to sort this out? Really annoying as its only broken since ive installed windows 10.

Ryan989, Nov 5, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Generally its best to select UEFI as it will support the UEFI features.

swarfega, Nov 5, 2017
  5. alexncfc Win User
    Thanks for the fast reply, swarfega.

So I gather I would have previously been installing in "Legacy BIOS" mode by selecting the standard USB option from the boot menu?

And what are the UEFI features?

Thank you.

alexncfc, Nov 5, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    That's just to select a device to BOOT from now until windows are installed. I doubt it would even BOOT if you select USB with UEFI boot. It has nothing to do with windows installing as legacy or UEFI. That part is deeper in BIOS.

CountMike, Nov 6, 2017
  7. Actually, it has everything to do with installing in UEFI. I get the dual menu options on my laptop. If I select the one with UEFI in the description I get a UEFI install. And the EFI partition. If I select the other one I get a Legacy install. No EFI partition. You only see the UEFI option, if the PC has UEFI (and its enabled), and your install media is compatible with a UEFI install. I only ever see the UEFI install option on my laptop. On my desktop PC's all I see are the normal legacy boot options.

alphanumeric, Nov 6, 2017
  8. alexncfc Win User

Thanks for the replies, and yes Alphanumeric is correct; out of curiosity I tried installing via the standard "USB boot" option and Windows 10 shows as "Legacy mode" in MSINFO32.EXE, and yet if I install using the "UEFI USB boot" option, Windows shows as being in UEFI mode. And like I said before, there are also a few different entries in Device Manager, such as "System firmware" and UEFI-related entries, not to mention the EFI partition you mention.

I'm still not remotely sure of the pros/cons of doing the Windows install in either UEFI or legacy BIOS mode, but I will be sure to install in UEFI mode in the future.

alexncfc, Nov 6, 2017
  9. I haven't researched it in depth. Just looked at what it is and what it does etc. If the device supports it I use it.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu - Similar Threads - install USB stick

2. Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu: I recently dual-booted ubuntu with Windows 10 . After messing around with Ubuntu, I booted back into Windows 10 and deleted the Ubuntu partition and they were converted back to free space. Upon reboot, I got into a black screen with Grub > command line. Luckily , I was able...
  3. Error booting from a USB stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error booting from a USB stick?: I have an 8gb botbar USB stick with Windows 10, when I plug it into my PC and want to boot from it, the message like in this picture appears. What can I do? I can't find the right solution. Thanks in advance! Picture source:...
  4. After re-install from a USB stick, reverted to Windows Home

After re-install from a USB stick, reverted to Windows Home: My PC Alienware/DELL came with Windows 8 I think. While I had a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but I purchased Windows 10 Pro because I like to have access to the media to do clean re-installs I'm a developer. I remember it was hassle when I upgraded, it installed Windows...
  5. Booting Windows 7 from a USB stick

Booting Windows 7 from a USB stick: In Windows 7, which option do I choose to boot my laptop from a usb stick - USB Key, USB FDD or USB HDD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-7-from-a-usb-stick/aa67b3fd-54d6-4220-b2ca-ed65acb9caf2
  6. How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?

How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?: Howdy all. I have several usb sticks I have made with grub4dos that fills my use, but I miss UEFI options. After what I understand UEFI boot installation stick only boots windows images. I can successfully rename source folders from installation file s to source folder with...
  7. How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?: Howdy all. I have several usb sticks I have made with grub4dos that fills my use, but I miss UEFI options. After what I understand UEFI boot installation stick only boots windows images. I can successfully rename source folders from installation file s to source folder with...
  8. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  9. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792
  10. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI: Hello! I have my laptop since last december (less than a year), and for unknown reasons, I got a BSOD a few weeks ago and none of the available recovery tools managed to bring me back to my desktop; not even a refresh. That's when I promised myself that I would never ever...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows reinstallation option for UEFI windows boot manager