Windows 10: Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM

Discus and support Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have - a licensed/activated Windows 10 10586.545 Dutch as VM (Ultimate version) - Windows 10 anniversary update English, on USB (created using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by tfwul, Aug 18, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM

I have
    - a licensed/activated Windows 10 10586.545 Dutch as VM (Ultimate version)
    - Windows 10 anniversary update English, on USB (created using Media Creation Tool)

I would like the Dutch .545 be replaced by English Anniversary Update version.

Resetting the VM version just gets me the same 545 Dutch version again.

Is it possible to re-install Windows using the USB, if so, how?
    I might create a new VM, but then I run into a license issue, the product key has already be taken.

Thanks
    =

:)

tfwul, Aug 18, 2016
  2. grod777 Win User

Windows 10 OEM Key

would the same apply if I used the OEM key on a VM?

For instance If i install W10 and a VM and then later on delete the VM and then install W10 on the PC directly.

grod777, Aug 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 DHCP decline loop

My new Windows 10 Home install in a VM has started refusing to connect to the Internet. I am using "Bridged Mode" for the network connection. W10 installed from MSDN Iso onto a new Virtual Box hosted
    machine

I have Wireshark running on the VM Host.

W10 issues a DHCP request, It is granted one by the router

The DHCP is acknowledged

A number of packet exchanges take place using the IP address

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1

Host: 239.255.255.250:1900

ST: uuid:98ebada5-b544-5d4f-8e69-3dcb2c014014

Man: "ssdp:discover"

MX: 3

None of these are responded to

W10 issues a DCHP decline and reverts to a 168.254.x.x address

The whole Cycle repeats forever getting a different IP address each time from my router

When I switch the VM to NAT mode then it connects correctly.

This started happening after I connected my host laptop to a different network which changed the DHCP address range.

If relevant I am using Avast AV on my W10 guest but it makes no difference if I disable it.

jcs37494891, Aug 18, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

First, there is no such thing as an "ultimate version" of Windows 10. Did you mean Pro?

Second, you cannot perform an "upgrade" install between different language versions.

You should be able to do a clean install, since this is a pro version. Single language editions cannot be activated with a different language, but I think single language only applies to Home (I could be wrong though). So you should probably just install to a clean VM.

You don't mention which Virtual Machine software you're using, VMWare or Hyper-V or VirtualBox? The procedure is different for all of them to use a physical USB to install.

Mystere, Aug 18, 2016
  5. tfwul Win User
    Ah .. yes, sorry, about the Ultimate, the source was 7 ultimate (then upgraded to 10 Pro)

Whilst writing this Windows 10 Pro EN is installing as VM. Don't know what will come out, whether the key is accepted.

First did
    slmgr.vbs -upk
    in the existing VM

then deleted that one
    and now created a new one using media creation tool's ISO
    used the Windows 7 Ult. NL key
    and selected English language.

let's see.. seems it is accepted as sofar the setup is going normal.
    I am not sure, AFAIK one could only 'upgrade/use the same language...?

Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM [​IMG]

=

tfwul, Aug 18, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    This will only activate in a new vm if the unofficial grace period for free upgrades is continuing.

cereberus, Aug 19, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    To be clear, you need to re-install in the same VM it was originally installed in.

Mystere, Aug 19, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Actually my point was you can use a new vm and activate using old key if the "grace period" for free upgrades is still ongoing.

However, if it has finally stopped, you would have to install in original vm. BUT this seem to be hit or miss with clean installs as the virtual mobo id does not always seem to remain constant even thouhh the vm guuid has not changed.

This happened to me recently, but I was able to reactivate using the RS1 activation troubleshooter.

cereberus, Aug 19, 2016
  9. tfwul Win User
    Ehm...
    Am a little confused, possibly my question was unclear, for which I am sorry.

The situation is like this:
    1. Months agi I installed Windows 10 Pro as a VM (VMware Workstation v12) using the key of a Windows 7 Ultimate NON-English version
    2. the other day I uninstalled the key
    3. I then entirely deleted the VM, so I need to start from scratch
    4. downloaded the .iso (Media Creation Tool)
    5. create a new VM using that iso
    6. at the very beginning one has to select language, keyboard, etc.
    there I select English...
    7. next step, enter key, I enter the key of the NON-English version

Windows 10 Pro does not report any issues with regards to the language, i.e.
    it does not report that the selected language, that is going to be installed (English), does not correspond with the key.

English version is installed and is activated. All seem to work fine.

So far so good.

The question now is: Is this the correct way of changing the interface language to English?
    Considering that with the Pro-versions of Windows 10, it is possible to retroactively add another interface language
    (see tutorial from Kari How to Add or Remove Language Packs and change Display Language in Windows 10)
    Sure, you have more languages to select from, when going thru the steps in that tutorial.

So... maybe it is a legitimate option to re-install an English version right from the start over an previously activated Windows 10 Pro non-English version?
    (I admit, it is more drastic)

=

tfwul, Aug 20, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Windows product keys are version and edition specific and language independent, meaning you can always install and activate a Chinese Windows 8.1 Pro with a Dutch Windows 8.1 Pro product key, or a Finnish Windows 10 Home with a South African Windows 10 Home product key.

As long as Windows version and edition match the geographical origins of the product is totally irrelevant; the country / region (original language) of the product key and the language you are installing don't have to match.

11. tfwul Win User
    Hello Kari

Thank you very much indeed!

This is exactly the answer that I was looking for. I was quite confused on the language matter.
    To be honest, whilst having retail licenses of Windows 7 Ultimate (2x) and Windows 8.0 Pro and 8.1 Pro,
    but all being non-English, I bought a single retail Windows 10 Pro English.

I discovered that one might apply an language pack alright on a non-English version and things
    look pretty much English, but when going into very detailed matters, such as some Event Log
    events (errors), they may not always be translated/converted into English and therefore seeking
    solutions for such errors can be difficult at times.

Anyway, many thanks again!

=

tfwul, Aug 20, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    That's true of Pro and Multi-Language home, but not true of Single-Language Home. Single-Language home keys are specific to that language.

Windows Single-Language versions replaced the old "Core" editions as the "cheapo" version.

Mystere, Aug 20, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

That Single Language is of course an exception; Sigle Language is only available as pre-installed OEM version, they key tied to that specific hardware and Windows.

Let's try again: Windows 10 Home, Home N, Home KN, Pro, Pro N, Pro KN, Education, Education N, Education KN, Enterprise, Enterprise N, Enterprise KN and Enterprise LTSB product keys, regardless if OEM, retail or volume licensing are totally language independent and can be used to activate any language version of the same edition of Windows 10.

14. tfwul Win User
    Thanks again Kari!
    and probably...
    this also counts for fresh installations on new pc's of Windows 10 versions that are/were actually upgrades from -retail- versions of 7-8.1.
    After all, in the 'old' days, a boxed/retail version of Windows could be installed on new hardware, after properly being uninstalled on the old (slmgr.vbs -upk)

=

tfwul, Aug 21, 2016
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) Upgrading from W7 / W8 / W8.1 to W10 -- you can only upgrade to the same edition WITH SAME BASE LANGUAGE - e.g HOME Premium to Home premium - one exception is that W7 Ultimate will upgrade to W10 Pro as there's no W10 Ultimate.

2) As Kari says you can install Language packs on the relevant issues of Windows - simply then in settings change the display language (and can also change the logon splash screen etc too) to your desired language.

3) Multiple languages need W10 PRO or ENTERPRISE -- you can't add languages to HOME PREMIUM (seems silly to me but that's the rules).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM - Similar Threads - Installing W10 USB

2. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing W10 from USB: HiHP Pavillion 500 desktop, 10 years old and painfully slow.Was running Windows 8.1. I purchased W10 to upgrade. Could not install on HP after downloading, starts and fails every time. So ended up downloading on HP laptop, along with Rufus assistant. Transferred both onto...
  3. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing W10 from USB: HiHP Pavillion 500 desktop, 10 years old and painfully slow.Was running Windows 8.1. I purchased W10 to upgrade. Could not install on HP after downloading, starts and fails every time. So ended up downloading on HP laptop, along with Rufus assistant. Transferred both onto...
  4. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. replace motherboard and re-install W10

replace motherboard and re-install W10: Hi All, Excuse the repetition of questions. I seem to go word blind looking at the permutations to same questions. Very basically I am replacing my Motherboard for the same as the one that decided it didn't want to play anymore and just transferring the CPU to that new...
  6. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  7. Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10: I've been digging through many fora for this obvious issue...cannot find. Once I wipe out all the apps and data by a Re-install / Clean Install: I got the data backed up, but there was backup of the apps. How do I get the paid ones back? Surely not >Store...
  8. Re-Installing W10

Re-Installing W10: Hi, HP desktop. I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. I do not have W7 product key. I would like to fresh install W10 Pro because my PC has so much junk. I will use a W10 ISO file downloaded from the web. Will I be asked for a key when re-installing W10.....? Thank...
  9. Re-Install From USB Drive Error

Re-Install From USB Drive Error: I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days. However, suddenly when doing it again I get this error: "your pc/device needs to be repaired. the boot configuration data...
  10. W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10

W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10: I have a Linx 8 tablet that originally came with Windows 8.1. I then upgraded to Windows 10 via the free update route during the year that it was offered. However, the OS has become corrupted and the only thing that I have to be able to restore is the original Windows...