Windows 10: Re-Installing W10

Discus and support Re-Installing W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, HP desktop. I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. I do not have W7 product key. I would like to fresh install W10 Pro because my PC has so much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by boyboyds, Dec 23, 2016.

1. boyboyds Win User

Re-Installing W10

Hi,

HP desktop.
    I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro.
    I do not have W7 product key.
    I would like to fresh install W10 Pro because my PC has so much junk.
    I will use a W10 ISO file downloaded from the web.

Will I be asked for a key when re-installing W10.....?

Thank you,
    -BBDS

:)

boyboyds, Dec 23, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

re-install W10?

You can use the Reset option to return windows to a clean state or use the Media Creation Tool to create your own install media.

Download Windows 10

If it asks for a key when you are installing windows select Skip, Do this later or I'm re-installing windows. It will auto activate when the install completes and has access to the internet. Select a Custom install and remove all windows partitions.

neilpzz, Dec 23, 2016
  3. Vespa001 Win User
    re-install W10?

I have W10 Pro, but no disc.

How to I repair or re-install W10 Pro without any recoverable media please?

I have partitioned my drive so that all my personal files are not on C:

Thanks

Vespa001, Dec 23, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Re-Installing W10

If you've got a digital entitlement and have registered same online with a Microsoft account, you'll see something like this in the Activation windows from Settings:

Re-Installing W10 [​IMG]

If that's the case, you can perform a clean install on Windows 10 on your PC and it should automatically activate upon completion. If you don't have this, you'll need to grab a utility like ShowKeyPlus (a sterling effort from our own SuperFly) and use it to record your original Windows 7 product key. You should still be able to activate (sinceyou've done so already) but may need to talk it through with Microsoft Support if subsequent automated activation efforts fail.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 23, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    While it is a good idea to record the Windows 7 Product Key, it should not be needed for the Windows 10 re-install of the same version onto the same computer (motherboard). All upgrades from Windows 7/8 had the digital license stored on Microsoft activation servers based upon the unique ID of the hardware (motherboard). Linking the digital license to a Microsoft account was a feature added later by Microsoft.

The new install will ask for a product key. The OP can skip it, regardless of if the digital license is linked to a Microsoft account or not. When connected to the internet, Windows 10 will send the unique ID of the computer to Microsoft and their server should match it to the digital license stored and activate Windows 10 automatically.

The only time the digital license is required to be retrieved from the Microsoft account is if the hardware has been significantly changed (motherboard replaced) such that the unique hardware ID of the computer changes.

NavyLCDR, Dec 23, 2016
  6. boyboyds Win User
    I assume ShowKeyPlus is free.
    If so, it is probably a good idea to record W7 key first, just in case.

This PC was originally built with Vista installed and I have Vista key attached to the box.
    But when I turned it on it had W7 Pro installed.
    This PC has a decent spec (HP Slimline s3650f) and the original owners probably decided to upgrade it to W7.

Do you see any additional challenges here for re-installing W10 ......?

Thanks,
    -BBDS

boyboyds, Dec 23, 2016
  7. TrustMe Win User
    If your desktop came with Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7, you will not be able to retrieve your Windows 7 key. I'm afraid that key is gone. Computers that came with Windows 7 and before do not store the key in the BIOS.

As EdTittel and NavyLCDR said, you will still be able to clean instill. It will automatically activate one you go on the internet

TrustMe, Dec 24, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Re-Installing W10

If you have not registered the digital entitlement with a Microsoft account it should just say 'Windows is activated with a digital Licence'. In this case the licence is tied to the hardware of your PC. Again, you can do a clean install and it will activate automatically. For the purposes of activation, 'hardware' does not include the hard drive, so you can change this and still get activated.

9. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for the emendation, Bree: I wasn't sure about that, so I didn't cover that contingency.
    Happy holidays!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 24, 2016
  10. boyboyds Win User
    W10 fresh installation worked without any issues, no key were required.

Thank you for your help,
    -BBDS

boyboyds, Dec 24, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Glad you got it sorted. It's always nice when Windows things work the way they're supposed to! Happy holidays, mate!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Re-Installing W10

1. Re-Installing W10 - Similar Threads - Installing W10

2. Q1: If I have not activated Bitlocker on my W10 Pro PC do I really have to install update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Q1: If I have not activated Bitlocker on my W10 Pro PC do I really have to install update...: Q2: I understood that W11 Home edition would not permit activation 0f Bitlocker but it seemed to be available. If I have activated it, can I de-activate, uninstall? And will that remove the need to install KB5034441???? I do not have the skills to do this and did not I needed...
  3. Q1: If I have not activated Bitlocker on my W10 Pro PC do I really have to install update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Q1: If I have not activated Bitlocker on my W10 Pro PC do I really have to install update...: Q2: I understood that W11 Home edition would not permit activation 0f Bitlocker but it seemed to be available. If I have activated it, can I de-activate, uninstall? And will that remove the need to install KB5034441???? I do not have the skills to do this and did not I needed...
  4. Q1: If I have not activated Bitlocker on my W10 Pro PC do I really have to install update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing W10 from USB

Installing W10 from USB: HiHP Pavillion 500 desktop, 10 years old and painfully slow.Was running Windows 8.1. I purchased W10 to upgrade. Could not install on HP after downloading, starts and fails every time. So ended up downloading on HP laptop, along with Rufus assistant. Transferred both onto...
  6. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing W10 from USB: HiHP Pavillion 500 desktop, 10 years old and painfully slow.Was running Windows 8.1. I purchased W10 to upgrade. Could not install on HP after downloading, starts and fails every time. So ended up downloading on HP laptop, along with Rufus assistant. Transferred both onto...
  7. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?: Have four w10 machines. One laptop went white screen of death. Created a usb recovery drive. wants proof of purchase code. **** where do I find it? Have the cute little proof of purchase stickers from the OLD win 7 machines, my NT original discs, my disc with original windows...
  9. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?: Have four w10 machines. One laptop went white screen of death. Created a usb recovery drive. wants proof of purchase code. **** where do I find it? Have the cute little proof of purchase stickers from the OLD win 7 machines, my NT original discs, my disc with original windows...
  10. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging