Windows 10: Re-installing windows 10 activation question

Discus and support Re-installing windows 10 activation question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So my MSI GT80 laptop was recently updated yesterday with a reg scheduled update and after restart i noticed that the screen went black with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Titan, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Titan Win User

Re-installing windows 10 activation question

So my MSI GT80 laptop was recently updated yesterday with a reg scheduled update and after restart i noticed that the screen went black with the famous sound for GPU driver crash.

Nothing has been OC on this laptop and i have had it for two years now. I suspect either the new update that came through hosed my system, or the recent manual creators update i did. (or my system just said f u bob)

I couldn't get a display back so i did a hard shut down and turned it back on where it just sat at the MSI logo with spinning wheel for hours (i was thinking maybe it was checking the disk) i was wrong.

Doing some research, i found out how to get into diagnostics and advanced tools to which i then ran the recovery to an earlier date, everything went find up until it was finishing and then error pops up. (cant remember what it said, something like a path file error)

So i then try to do a refresh and reset, to no avail without more errors..

Ran CMD and tried sfc /scannow and it said found corrupt files and successfully restored them requiring a reboot, so i went through with a reboot just to be at a stuck loading screen again.

This time i ran CMD and tried bootrec.exe /scanOS and nothing present????

So my question is,

If i use the media creation tool on another PC to create a win 10 install to fix my laptop which was running a licensed copy of win 10 pro, will it work? i mean recognize it as already activated?

thanks for any help.

:)

Titan, Apr 29, 2017

2. restore back to windows 10

Was your Windows 10 installation activated before the reset?

If the answer to that question is "yes", then the answer to your question is also "yes". Once you re-install the activation of your machine will be picked up automatically.

Start with this page
    Windows 10 download
    and go for it.

John-from-France, Apr 29, 2017
  3. How to re-active windows 10 after clear re-install

I upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 and active on line and I have some question about it. Because the Microsoft policy, my original windows 8.1 license could upgrade to 10 for free in one year, but how to re-active if I want to clear re-install through USB
    or DVD source, I just have windows 8.1 license key and the key is not work at windows 10 as my try.

Robert.YCLuo, Apr 29, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Yes, it will work nicely. Just make sure you wipe the hard drive clean as part of the installation process and follow these tutorials:

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10
    (Pay special attention to note 4 in option 1)

Clean Install Windows 10

Good luck,

5. mrgeek Win User
    "If i use the media creation tool on another PC to create a win 10 install to fix my laptop which was running a licensed copy of win 10 pro, will it work? i mean recognize it as already activated?"

Absolutely ! You did not make any major change to the hardware and your prev Win10 would be digitally activated. If you are asked for a key, just check the "Skip" or 'activate later', however the setup screen puts it.

mrgeek, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Titan Win User
    Appreciate it thanks guys!

Titan, Apr 29, 2017
  7. WOT
    WOT Win User
    You are quite welcome. Please remember to come back and mark this thread as solved if things go OK.

regards,

Thema:

1. Re-installing windows 10 activation question - Similar Threads - installing activation question

2. Re-Install Windows 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Install Windows 10 Questions: Hello:I, like many others, got 'bricked' with the Windows update this week I manually installed on Friday 10/14. I have tried everything possible from the Win Recovery Options. Nothing works. I have no use of my peripherals except in BIOS. I have a few questions quite a few...
  3. Re-Install Windows 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Install Windows 10 Questions: Hello:I, like many others, got 'bricked' with the Windows update this week I manually installed on Friday 10/14. I have tried everything possible from the Win Recovery Options. Nothing works. I have no use of my peripherals except in BIOS. I have a few questions quite a few...
  4. Re-Install Windows 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Question about re-installing Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about re-installing Windows 10.: Hello. I recently got a Lenovo laptop that comes by default with Windows 10. I want to install Ubuntu, but I have no idea if I can install Windows 10 again after installing Ubuntu. Can anyone help? ps: I really don't want to dual boot. submitted by /u/salmaofinlandes...
  6. Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation

Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation: I'm upgrading a friend's laptops (yes a Celeron!!! & a 2nd Gen i5, lucky me) from HDD to SSD, increasing memory and reinstalling Win10 using a W10 USB drive that I'd done a year ago using MS MCT. So my first question is During the installation process I presume I skip the...
  7. Windows Re-install question

Windows Re-install question: OK, in the next couple of days. I'm going to upgrade my mom's pc to some newer hardware. When I first built her pc and installed windows 10, it was through the free windows 7 upgrade. Now i made her pc on a local account and not a microsoft one. Am I able to keep her account...
  8. Windows 10 re-installation question

Windows 10 re-installation question: Hi, Due to some horrible crash, I had to wipe out all my partitions and re-install Windows 10 in my laptop, which is a MSI GE64. Due to some other constraints I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my DISK 1, instead of disk 0. (UEFI, GPT, Fast Boot, Secure Boot). Afterwards...
  9. Windows 10 re-install questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 re-install questions: Downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a bootable USB drive. Got installation to start, selected 'I don't have a product key', selected Windows 10 Home which is what was previously installed, accepted license terms, and then I have a window asking what kind of...
  10. Re-installing Windows 10, Licence/Activation question?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-installing Windows 10, Licence/Activation question?: So I have Windows 10 Pro on my main PC, I got it via the free upgrade as I was previously on Windows 7 Ultimate. Now I have purchased a SSD so need to re-install Windows 10 how would I go about doing this? or can I not as the free upgrade window has closed? 63218