Windows 10: Re-scheduled restart

Discus and support Re-scheduled restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; New HP Envy 17" only had it a week. Settings>update & security> windows updates. The schedule restart is set for 03.30 but my PC is switched off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mayfly, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mayfly Win User

Re-scheduled restart

New HP Envy 17" only had it a week.

Settings>update & security> windows updates. The schedule restart is set for 03.30 but my PC is switched off over night, so every morning it wants to restart 5 minutes after I log on. I can't seem to change that setting, it's greyed out. I can either tell it to restart or close the window but if I close the window it restarts anyway in 5 minutes.

How can I change the timings please?

Also it tells me I can Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 by restarting but that message remains there all the time.

Edit: Just checked and I am logged in a an Administrator

:)

Mayfly, Apr 11, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do you prevent Windows 10 from restarting PC automatically after an update?

Unfortunately, you can't do that. It's either restart immediately, or re-start at a scheduled time.

BulldogXX, Apr 11, 2016
  3. uguay Win User
    Question About Scheduled Optimisation

Hi,

Thank you for your reply

I did Method 1, and got following message;

Troubleshooting has completed

No changes or updates were necessary

So that seems ok.

Re: Task Scheduler, I followed steps but when I get to task scheduler I can't change anything. It says running, and along the top of services, I have options - start service, stop service, pause service, restart service. But clicking on any of them does
    nothing. If I highlight task scheduler, and right click, I also get restart option, but again does nothing. If I double click task scheduler I get a pop up box - General tab - says, service: running, and below that is the same options (start, stop, pause,
    restart) but they are 'faded' and again clicking does nothing.

Maybe this is the issue?

uguay, Apr 11, 2016
  4. Re-scheduled restart

Hello Mayfly Welcome to the Ten Forums!

From the initial look at your description it sounds as if the upgrade scheduled to see a newer then 10240 OEM copy of 10 to the November 11, 2015 Threshold 2 Update failed since you shut the laptop down completely where the upgrade by the Windows Updates failed on you. The MS tool that could possibly see this cleared up for you would be the Reset Windows Update Agent from the MS TechNet Script Center used to debug the Windows Update function since the scheduled upgrade has apparently hung up totally on you.

The tool there is used on XP and every other newer version which now includes 10 for debugging the WU. If that doesn't some results you could always use one of the two main restoration options with the first being the Reset This PC option which puts on a fresh copy of 10 as the last resort. That would mean rolling everything back to Factory Fresh status!

Before ending up going with one of those three options I would try the TechNet repair tool to see if that can fix the WU issue which is what you are seeing there. If all goes well you would then hit the Restart now button to allow the upgraded build to go on and see that finished up. Without the Get insider builds option the next large update will be coming this summer with the Redstone 1 as the general update for 10 being seen. That will also be bringing in some new features as well as slight change to the Start menu to prepare you for that.

With the WU working the next step would be trying a System Restore point to go back before this came up since this will roll the entire system registry to a point before the TH2 update first arrived. You won't have to many points to work with however since you had just bought the laptop! Hopefully you still have a few to work with however before the next to last option of seeing the manual upgrade by way of seeing the 10 media created. Since this was an OEM factory install of 10 you would need to see the 10 media created first on either a usb flash drive or saving the "Windows.iso" to a folder on the drive and then use other the Media Creation Tool itself to see the iso download either written to a flash drive or burned to a blank dvd-r disk while the size if combining both the Home and Pro editions in either the 32bit or 64bit option is what you would be getting into requiring an 8gb Dual Layer dvd blank or at least an 8gb flash drive since a 4gb will be too small. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Back in January I had to pick up a new 17.3" Toshiba Satellite model to replace an older HP laptop that originally came with 7 on it but had been upgraded to 10. Later besides no longer seeing anything appear on the display for the 15.1" model the drive was history as well and despite the replacement going in still nothing! *Sad*cry Had to toss the Toshiba on the charge card fast and easy to see that replaced.

Night Hawk, Apr 11, 2016
  5. Mayfly Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I had decided at this point to leave it on over night to see if would unscrabble itself, however, strangely enough the PC became very slow last night so I rebooted and it took ages to start.

It then downloaded updates including W10 V. 1511,10586 and told me it was installing them. It seems to be back to normal speed this morning BUT is still telling me there a restart is required for W10 V. 1511,10586 & KB 3147461 updates.
    So not sure if it did an auto restart in the night or not.

Mayfly, Apr 12, 2016
  6. Well before any new build found in the WU will go on I have been finding you have to get those few small updates often for Windows Defender or Visual Studio to go on first. Then you will suddenly watch the download and install of the next build. Once that is seen to all this should disappear untile the next batch of the typically small updates arrives.

If all does go well for you by allowing this to continue until the 10586 Threshold 2 Update which that is what that is finishes going on without any other problem you can then opt to enable the Get insider builds option long enough to grab the latest 14316 Insider Preview build. That has some small looks at the second major update that will be coming out this July for the first anniversary since 10's launch.

When trying to keep the TH2 update running it suddenly got buggy at the start of February where now I simply allow each newer build to go on every so many weeks and have been seeing good results most of the time. I haven't been hearing too many complaints about this build unlike the last two have indicating this would be an option to consider.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Re-scheduled restart

1. Re-scheduled restart - Similar Threads - scheduled restart

2. Ive enabled GPU accelerated hardware scheduling. After that windows asked for restart, i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ive enabled GPU accelerated hardware scheduling. After that windows asked for restart, i...: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ive-enabled-gpu-accelerated-hardware-scheduling/c1c3c034-d51b-491d-97e5-93efeea775e4
  3. Ive enabled GPU accelerated hardware scheduling. After that windows asked for restart, i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ive enabled GPU accelerated hardware scheduling. After that windows asked for restart, i...: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ive-enabled-gpu-accelerated-hardware-scheduling/c1c3c034-d51b-491d-97e5-93efeea775e4
  4. Ive enabled GPU accelerated hardware scheduling. After that windows asked for restart, i...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. GPO for Always automatically restart at the scheduled time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO for Always automatically restart at the scheduled time: I'm configuring some group policies around Windows Updates. For "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time" does the timer for the scheduled restart start after the updates are finished installing or the scheduled install time?...
  6. GPO for Always automatically restart at the scheduled time

GPO for Always automatically restart at the scheduled time: I'm configuring some group policies around Windows Updates. For "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time" does the timer for the scheduled restart start after the updates are finished installing or the scheduled install time?...
  7. GPO for Always automatically restart at the scheduled time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling keeps asking to restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling keeps asking to restart: After enabling HAGS and restarting laptop, it keeps asking to restart. GPU-Z shows that my system supports it, but disabled yet. Enablng through registry didn't help. I tried:1. Reinstalling Windows2. Enabling HAGS on fresh stock settings installed Windows3. Reinstalling GPU...
  9. Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling keeps asking to restart

Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling keeps asking to restart: After enabling HAGS and restarting laptop, it keeps asking to restart. GPU-Z shows that my system supports it, but disabled yet. Enablng through registry didn't help. I tried:1. Reinstalling Windows2. Enabling HAGS on fresh stock settings installed Windows3. Reinstalling GPU...
  10. Cannot schedule a restart time, always claims selected time is in the past

Cannot schedule a restart time, always claims selected time is in the past: In addition, cannot file a bug with Microsoft. They are barricaded against their customers. No matter what I try in the Schedule Restart widget, it either does not react, or claims in red "selected time is in the past." An example:Can anyone help with this issue?Thomas...