Windows 10: RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D

Discus and support RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Re-Post Folks: I recently installed Win10 on a C SSD and set a D hard drive for my data. I have assigned default save to be D. FYI, I do have a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by azizuddin, Dec 2, 2015.

1. azizuddin Win User

RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D

Re-Post

Folks:

I recently installed Win10 on a C SSD and set a D hard drive for my data. I have assigned default save to be D. FYI, I do have a C:\User\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. also. However, I found that on my drive D, there is a D:\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. So I included the sub folders into the Library. However, the D:\[user]\Documents folder does exist but I cannot change the permissions at all (Read Only). It is owned by the System. Don't I need to take ownership back to make use of it? But how? Or do I just leave it alone. Right now, all save documents are going to C:\[user]\Documents. Other D:\[user] sub folders, i.e., Pictures and Videos, are writable. What gives?*Confused

:)

azizuddin, Dec 2, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Moving 'Temp' files folder from my C drive to my D drive

Bob,

The configuration of your computer is not unusual - I deliberately use the same configuration for all my computers.

If, as I expect, your C drive is full because of your own files in C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents etc ** then you can "relocate" these user folders to the D drive. See

Relocating user folders in Windows 7 and Windows 10
    This is a perfectly normal procedure and is a lot simpler than altering partitions. Relocating your user folders will reduce your C drive usage to about 40GB or less.

** Where you use such facilities as the File explorer, This PC, Documents entry or Libraries you are in fact making use of hidden shortcuts to the folders in C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents etc - it is this path that your own files are actually
    stored in by default {until you "relocate" them to a folder of your own choosing on your HDD}.

Keeping the split between C & D drives can be very useful for backing up - C drive is your system drive and D drive is your own collection of files. You can use

System images for your system drive
    and straightforward file backups for your own files.

Denis

Tryx3, Dec 2, 2015
  3. Dmitry.Zh Win User
    Creators Fall Update (1709) failed to install on a PC with a SSD system drive and user profiles located on D: HDD

During upgrade process, system copies some (not all) "ProfilesDirectory" folders located on drive D:\Users to folder C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Users\.

It fails, considering that affected folders on drive D: have more than 2Tb of data while system drive C: has less than 250Gb.

I did some additional research and found that “normal” profiles were not affected. System copies following folders only:

- -“Broken” user profile. Sometimes ago, user profile of USER1 was corrupted. I made a copy of all files in a folder D:\Users\USER1.OLD, then deleted user1 and created new one. After that, I restored all data
    from D:\Users\USER1.OLD to D:\Users\USER1, but kept USER1.OLD folder.

- -“Public” folder with huge volume of data.

- -“Default” folders

I have same problem on my two PC with different configuration:

- One platform is Intel based with Core i7 CPU, system SSD 250Gb and D: drive 4TB

- Another platform is AMD based with A8 CPU, system HDD 1Tb and D: drive 2Tb

Both PC has the same Windows 10 Pro 64 version 1703 (15063.936)

Windows on both PC is configured in a way, that user profiles are located on drive D:. And both contains a lot of data in D:\User\Public folder, much more bigger than volume of system drive C:

I’ve already tried to implement all common recommendations:

-Upgrade from clean boot

-System image restore with DISM command

-Windows Updater troubleshooter

However, problem is not solved.

Dmitry.Zh, Dec 2, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

If you type Storage in the search bar and hit enter it will take you straight to the Settings page for entering where you want to save all your various items. Can you check if this is showing the D: drive?

philc43, Dec 4, 2015
  5. azizuddin Win User
    Yes, it is set to D. Right now, I have all Saves going to D except apps going to C. However, FYI, I have installed Steam games on D, but my game data Saves are stored in C under Documents. I assume this is because the D: Document folder is Read Only.

azizuddin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D - Similar Threads - SYSTEM owns User

2. Accidentally moved User folder to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally moved User folder to D drive: I accidentally moved my User folder to D disk to make more space on local disk C since it was full. Now when I open my computer, I can't use any program.I tried to copy the User folder back to C disk, but it says not enough space. I'm going to buy a new ,bigger SSD today, but...
  3. Accidentally moved User folder to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally moved User folder to D drive: I accidentally moved my User folder to D disk to make more space on local disk C since it was full. Now when I open my computer, I can't use any program.I tried to copy the User folder back to C disk, but it says not enough space. I'm going to buy a new ,bigger SSD today, but...
  4. Accidentally moved User folder to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting users folder in D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting users folder in D: I have a users folder in C and D, I need to delete the D users folder but windows say there is a file in use in another programme. I have not created the USERS folder.I need to extend my C drive as I am running out of space, have done all the obvious things and cleared all...
  6. Deleting users folder in D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting users folder in D: I have a users folder in C and D, I need to delete the D users folder but windows say there is a file in use in another programme. I have not created the USERS folder.I need to extend my C drive as I am running out of space, have done all the obvious things and cleared all...
  7. DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders: Get ready for a novel. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. For almost 2 weeks now, I have been reading articles and answers on several websites for the official/proper way to move some of my User Folders Desktop, Library Folders, & OneDrive itself to my 1TB DATA D:...
  8. DATA Drive (D:) Shared User Folders

DATA Drive (D:) Shared User Folders: Under DATA Drive (D:) is a folder called Users, which has my user folder and my son's user folder. When he logs into his account, he can see my user folder. How can I fix it so he can't see my user folder?...
  9. RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D

RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D: Folks: I recently installed Win10 on a C SSD and set a D hard drive for my data. I have assigned default save to be D. FYI, I do have a C:\User\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. also. However, I found that on my drive D, there is a D:\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. So I...
  10. I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder: I'm attaching a screenshot with notes - it will tell you/show you better than I can explain here. Bottom line, I wanted my Pictures folder on Drive D - not C. My goal was/is to have all Data files on drive D and all Windows and config type files on drive C. I have just one...