Windows 10: Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit

Discus and support Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a activated version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit which got automatically approved for upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit some months ago. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ekendraed, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ekendraed Win User

Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit

I had a activated version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit which got automatically approved for upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit some months ago.

The upgrade to Windows 10 took place before the free upgrade deadline.

I had a boot issue with Windows 10 after I merged some unused partitions on the hard disk with the C: drive.
    I re-installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit last week, after the free Windows 10 free upgrade deadline of 29th July 2016.

My question is, can I now still do a free upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit version using a disk?

If this is possible, what is the process for upgrading using the disk?
    I do not wish to do a clean install because I would then have to reinstall all of the data and other software.

Thank you

:)

ekendraed, Aug 23, 2016
  2. Schick Win User

Stopping Upgrade to Windows 10 in a Dual Boot System!

I DID have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit on my Dual Boot System. I Reserved Windows 10 Pro 64bit on Each OS not sure which I wanted to Upgrade From.

Well, I decided to Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit and Every Time I start the computer and go into Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit now Windows 10 Keeps Wanting to Install, yes I made the mistake of downloading it, and I Do Not Want it There! I Have it Over
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. I Want to Keep Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit With Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

I Can and Do keep changing the Installation Date to the Farthest Date in the Future each time as that Changes the Install Date From the Current Date to 2 Days from then. You Can Not Cancel it From That Window! I Do Keep Pushing the Install Date Forward so
    it Will Not Install.

I Just want to Cancel The Install Over Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit if Possible! Any Help with this will be Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks for any help,

Schick, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Can I re-install Windows 10 if I format the HDD after upgrading?

Hi,

Does this count for a change between 32 to 64 bit?

I currently have 32bit Windows 7 Pro, which has upgraded to windows 10 pro 32bit (without me confirming it to install which was a bit annoying as I was in the middle of a job on deadline day).

I wanted to change my machine to run in 64bit mode beforehand, as I already have the components in place to do that, and 64bit on disc. (I just installed the wrong Windows 7 Pro version originally and didn't bother re-installing. installed 32bit by mistake)

Is there any way to change the upgrade to/install Windows 10 64bit Pro instead?

I can do a clean install of 64 bit first if needed, as already mentioned I have the disc with Windows 7 Pro 64bit too.

GrandmasterJ, Aug 23, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    You can re-upgrade your system, as long as it was activated.

Just don't enter a key, and select I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC.

Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit [​IMG]

Use 7-Zip to mount the ISO, and run setup.exe to begin the upgrade.

simrick, Aug 23, 2016
  5. ekendraed Win User
    Thank you Simrick
    Do I just put the disk in, shut down and restart (after resetting boot order) or insert the disk and upgrade from Windows 7?

ekendraed, Aug 23, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Use 7-Zip to mount the ISO, and run setup.exe to begin the upgrade, all while you are in your W7 operating system.
    See the video in this tutorial, fast forward to about 21:30. It will show you how to mount the ISO using 7-zip, and run the upgrade that way.
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Aug 23, 2016
  7. ekendraed Win User
    Thank you. Greatly appreciated

ekendraed, Aug 23, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Quite welcome. *Smile

simrick, Aug 23, 2016
  9. ekendraed Win User
    Successfully upgraded to WIN10 Pro 64bit.

Unfortunately, I reverted back to W7 pro as I was unable to control BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST on both the HP 8540w workstation and the external ACER monitor. On the HP8540w the brightness issue was not that severe but contrast was poor. The contrast was so poor that I found it even difficult to read VERIFY colour codes.

On the ACER I attempted to manually adjust the B & C but that had absolutely no effect. I did not try to do this on the HP8540w though I am not sure if that would have worked either. The brightness on the ACER monitor was like staring into a bright vehicle headlight.

The ACER is connected to the laptop via a VGA socket and not the DisplayPort socket. Would that be a reason why I could not adjust B & C on the ACER monitor through the Nvidia Control Panel?

I tried to update the drivers for Nvidia Quadro FX 880M but I was informed that the drivers were up to date versions. I downloaded fresh Nvidia Quadro FX 880M for W10 64bit but it would not install.

Eventually I reverted to WIN7 till I was able to find a solution.

Can anyone PLEASE suggest a solution to my problem? Thank you

Through the SET PhysX Configuration in Nvidia Quadro FX 880M, I have set it to auto mode and now I am able to adjust the DESKTOP colour settings. I will re-upgrade to Win10 after I receive a feedback from this forum.

Hopefully I will have control over both monitors so that the adjustments will be pleasing to my eye (I am blind in the left eye since 2006)

ekendraed, Aug 28, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Great news! *Smile

I'm not very good with that. But, @Cliff S and/or @Edwin may be able to help.

simrick, Aug 28, 2016
  11. ekendraed Win User
    Thank you responding simrick. Hope Cliff or Edwin will read and respond.

ekendraed, Aug 28, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Yes, they should, as I "tagged" them. *Wink

simrick, Aug 28, 2016
  13. ekendraed Win User

Thank you would like to upgrade but if I cannot resolve this problem I will stay with Win7 *Sad

ekendraed, Aug 28, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    If I was you I would get rid of the analogue VGA, and use HDMI if possible, a cheap cable is enough(digital either works or it doesn't, so those expensive ones, like Monster, are a total ripoff) for a monitor, as data will only flow in one direction.

For some software tools to calibrate go here: 5 Online Tools to Help Calibrate Your Monitor

I personally like to use Online Monitor Test.: :: Online Monitor test - Your free online TV and monitor test tool - By vanity.dk and flatpanels.dk
    Download the executable mode, so you can always use it, offline to.

Note It doesn't work in Edge, best results for the online version is with Chrome.
    After starting the executable, it will open full screen, all white. Just right click and click "about adobe" and it will show everything you need to calibrate

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2016
  15. ekendraed Win User
    My HP Elitebook 8540w workstation unfortunately does not have a HDMI port. It has a DisplayPort and I have ordered a DP<>DVI adapter. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I could connect the external monitor to the DP.

Thank you Cliff s for the tips and I will perform the monitor tests and calibration. I will update you after I have done that.

ekendraed, Aug 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit - Similar Threads - upgrading pro 64bit

2. Window 7 pro 64bit OS Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 7 pro 64bit OS Upgrade: Window 7 pro-64bit OS Upgrade to Windows 10 above attach Error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-7-pro-64bit-os-upgrade/393ee99a-b2d3-4eb4-b92f-a688d23e5d65
  3. Window 7 pro 64bit OS Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 7 pro 64bit OS Upgrade: Window 7 pro-64bit OS Upgrade to Windows 10 above attach Error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-7-pro-64bit-os-upgrade/393ee99a-b2d3-4eb4-b92f-a688d23e5d65
  4. Window 7 pro 64bit OS Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 64bit Windows 7 Pro OS perfect but after purchasing a key to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro,...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    64bit Windows 7 Pro OS perfect but after purchasing a key to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro,...: My Acer 4830TG 64bit Windows 7 Pro OS was a Rolls Royce in Laptop performance. After purchasing a key to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it has never been the same. Initially all worked correctly except that the Touchpad and DVD writer have been disabled and I think that this is...
  6. Re-installing Windows 10 64Bit Pro

Re-installing Windows 10 64Bit Pro: Hi, I did the free update to Windows 10 64 Bit Pro from Windows 7 64 Bit Pro. My registry is corrupt and I was having other issues so I want to reformat my drive and do a clean install of Windows 10 64 Bit Pro. I do have my Product ID from the upgrade. What is the best way to...
  7. Windows 10 Home 64bit upgraded it's self to win10 Pro 64bit and now it's not activated.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home 64bit upgraded it's self to win10 Pro 64bit and now it's not activated.: So I got this pc For free, and it had pre Installed Windows 10 home on which was 64bit. I was using it as normal but it had slow HDD so I decided to upgrade it to SSD. So i Did it. after I tried to find way to move Windows from HDD to SSD which appeared to be big problem so I...
  8. Windows 10 pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro 64bit: I'm looking for the download link for windows 10 pro 64 bit. All I can find is windows 10 home. I have a key already for windows 10 pro. But I need to wipe my system to install windows 10 it has really old windows atm...
  9. BSOD Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD Windows 10 Pro 64bit: Hello I have just built a new PC with the following specs and it gives me BSOD every 5 mins or so. How can I locate the minidump files to share them with you? I have the following specs CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 RAM: Corsair 3200Mhz XMP enabled MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite...
  10. Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1809

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1809: Hi guys, I have an interesting problem.When trying to install Windows 10 pro 64 bit 1809 i get a error that it could not update some system components with the error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 Does this error code mean i need to get updated drivers for 1 of my components?...