Windows 10: Re-using a OEM Windows copy on another machine?

Discus and support Re-using a OEM Windows copy on another machine? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, apologies if I don't know how to explain the problem real well, bit of an unusual case. I've recently put together a PC for a family member,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by corei17, Dec 10, 2017.

1. corei17 Win User

Re-using a OEM Windows copy on another machine?

Hey, apologies if I don't know how to explain the problem real well, bit of an unusual case.

I've recently put together a PC for a family member, and thought instead of buying another copy of Windows outright, I thought I'de try to use an OEM copy of Windows 7 that I updated to Windows 10 for free with Microsoft's offer a while back. Around a year or two ago I had my local computer shop upgrade my PC and at the time they 'needed' to get a new copy that wasn't an OEM and can be re-installed easily. I guess what I'm asking is can I use the key from the OEM copy (it is visible in my Microsoft account) on this new PC? I already have bootable media for Windows 10. Any help on this would be appreciated, please let me know if this crosses any moral 'grey-areas'.

*EDIT* I know typically OEM copies cannot be re-used (in the cases of Windows 7/8/8.1 OEMs) but I was hoping Windows 10 had somewhat rectified this issue? I haven't really found anything on this anywhere. The motherboard used in the build is the original motherboard the OEM license was used with, but it does not have the same storage drives, I still have the key as well.

:)

corei17, Dec 10, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Upgrade

Hi Dileep, if the old product key was for a retail copy of Windows 10, you can re-use it on another PC.

If the original version of Windows 10 came with the system (OEM) then it is non-transferrable!

DaveM121, Dec 10, 2017
  3. how to reinstall Win10 after a crash and new hardware.

Did you have a retail or OEM copy of Windows 8? If it was an OEM copy you will have to buy a new copy of Windows. You can transfer retail copies of Windows from one computer to another.

Gerry C J Cornell, Dec 10, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It sounds to me like you have 1 legitimate license for Windows which means it can legally be installed on only one computer. Using 1 license for Windows to have it installed on two computers at the same time is illegal. You would have to remove it from your computer first.

NavyLCDR, Dec 10, 2017
  5. corei17 Win User
    My current PC, which was upgraded with a new motherboard, cpu, the works is on a newer copy of Windows that isn't OEM, but is legitimate, and the OEM copy that was hashed to my old motherboard, which is what I am using in the PC I've built is also a legitimate copy, if I were going to pirate it I wouldn't be here. After some more research I found there were changes to the activation/validation process in Windows 10. I was asking if anyone had any clue if I could reinstall Windows with slightly different hardware but the same motherboard. I do have both the key and bootable media from the Microsoft website.

Also note it has been around 9-12 months since this OEM copy was used.

corei17, Dec 10, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    Don't worry about the "grey areas" ... go ahead.

As you are "re-selling" to another it does not fall under "personal use".

Same mobo / same licence (albeit w/ different add-on's) is all good in my book.

Superfly, Dec 10, 2017
  7. My understanding is this.

If it's the same motherboard, it's the same computer as far as Microsoft is concerned.
    Other hard ware that is changed like drives, video cards, memory; Microsoft doesn' care.
    Same motherboard same computer. Therefor you can use the same operating system and same COA key.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 10, 2017
  8. corei17 Win User

Ok, thanks for all the replies, once I've got the bootable media fully downloaded and loaded onto the USB, I'll give it a go. I'll post the results here.

corei17, Dec 10, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    If you have a problem then phone them up. You can get the phone number via typing SLUI 0x4 from a command line. Choose the country you want for a local call in the language you speak and be prepared to be on hold for an hour or more.

As long as you aren't taking the piss (and let them sign on) Microsoft will activate your install with a new Windows 10 retail key.

You should then use ShowKeyPlus (see above) and write it down just in case.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you have 2 product keys for Windows 7 or 1 each for 7 and 10? I would try the Windows 7 on the new computer first and if that doesn't work then the Windows 10 product key. Then whatever product key is left over will be the license for your computer.

Your activation will not be affected because you already have a permanent digital license that activates your computer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-using a OEM Windows copy on another machine? - Similar Threads - using OEM copy

2. I have a windows laptop machine that used to be able to rdp to another windows machine. Not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a windows laptop machine that used to be able to rdp to another windows machine. Not...: I made sure the machine being remoted into was pingable from the other computer, that it was allowing rdp access as well. Both machines run on windows 11. I also remoted in from a different machine successfully. The issue seems to be from the machine that is initiating the...
  3. I have a windows laptop machine that used to be able to rdp to another windows machine. Not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a windows laptop machine that used to be able to rdp to another windows machine. Not...: I made sure the machine being remoted into was pingable from the other computer, that it was allowing rdp access as well. Both machines run on windows 11. I also remoted in from a different machine successfully. The issue seems to be from the machine that is initiating the...
  4. Windows OEM license Re-use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows OEM license Re-use: Hi , I brought a new laptop today , which has got Windows 11 and is OEM licenses.How can i save this copy of windows so that in case in future if i format this laptop, a genuine Windows is installed?or how i can re-use this license on same laptop in case i format it in...
  5. Windows OEM license Re-use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows OEM license Re-use: Hi , I brought a new laptop today , which has got Windows 11 and is OEM licenses.How can i save this copy of windows so that in case in future if i format this laptop, a genuine Windows is installed?or how i can re-use this license on same laptop in case i format it in...
  6. How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?: I have a old laptop on which I am doing some cleaning from the software side. I want to install Windows the retail way instead of the OEM way, without actually buying a copy of Windows, because I already have while buying this laptop....
  7. Copy machine to machine.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy machine to machine.: Used to be ! I run a few W-10 here and I like to keep some of them "twins", specially my Documents. It used to be that I could save all of this folder onto a small RAM and then copy it back to another Documents on any other machine. No mas ! When it was possible, it would...
  8. set up a dvd-rw disc to use in another machine to copy vhs tapes to

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set up a dvd-rw disc to use in another machine to copy vhs tapes to: I have a VHS to DVD machine. It does copy VHS movies to DVD-RW discs. I used a pack of Sony DVD-RWs and now I am out - it's been a long lockdown period. I got a spindle of Verbatim DVD-RWs and put them in the machine and they do not work. On the computer, I was able to set...
  9. OEM version of OS moved to another machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM version of OS moved to another machine: Can I move Win10 Home installed as OEM to another machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-version-of-os-moved-to-another-machine/51bdebfe-44c7-4ceb-ab4c-95185c9c7be5"
  10. Use paid install disk on another machine with the other machine's key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use paid install disk on another machine with the other machine's key: Have a crashed Win10 machine. Tried to "reset" it with a downloaded iso, but this didn't work--maybe the iso was NG. Anyway, now it won't boot at all. This machine was upgraded from Win 8.1 and I have no paid install disk for it. However, I do know the correct Windows key...