Windows 10: Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode

Discus and support Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I happened across this cmd.exe line while looking for a shortcut to open in safe mode: Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy[/quote] .... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Sep 5, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode

I happened across this cmd.exe line while looking for a shortcut to open in safe mode: Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy[/quote] . It worked. I found a startup menu and got to safe mode with network. One little problem: after trying it out I rebooted and selected normal startup, which happened but failed to load startup programs. A second boot fixed that.

My question is, what command can I apply to reverse this if I should want to? Help on bcdedit does not clarify the use of {}.

:)

tcebob, Sep 5, 2017

2. Windows 10 and an unremovable .wav file from FL Studio and high cpu usage

He's already tried Safe Mode so no point mentioning that. Also, F8 no longer works, especially with Fast Startup enabled on UEFI systems.

RobertJWin, Sep 5, 2017
  3. RoseM176 Win User
    After Win 10 upgrade screen is black with only cursor

Try to boot into safe mode SHIFT + F8

RoseM176, Sep 5, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

. It worked....
    My question is, what command can I apply to reverse this if I should want to? Help on bcdedit does not clarify the use of {}.[/quote] The {name} bit is an 'identifier', the {} are part of it. What you used is actually Option Two in Brink's tutorial, which explains how it works in a bit more detail.

Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

Bree, Sep 5, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Thanks, Bree. I thought I had seen it before.

tcebob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode - Similar Threads - Reactivate boot safe

2. Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working: Hello, I posted a question because that command didn't workI had this problem after upgrading to Windows 11 and then downgrading.How do I fix this command not working fix?...
  3. Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working: Hello, I posted a question because that command didn't workI had this problem after upgrading to Windows 11 and then downgrading.How do I fix this command not working fix?...
  4. Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  6. Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot: How can I turn on this function, again? I have tried the following: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy and bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes as per online searches. But, I get the following message: >>The set command specified is not valid. >>Run...
  7. Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode: On an Aseus laptop found in the dumpster on campus that was left behind from one of the students and matenience threw it out, I cannot do a factory wipe on it to remove this person's data so I can create my own login. I was told I am supposed to do this through recovery...
  8. How to enter windows 10 in safe mode with f8 key!

in Windows 10 Support
    How to enter windows 10 in safe mode with f8 key!: I saw some were on this forum a post discussing safe mode and how it did not work on windows 10 using f8 key... I like knowing if I need to get into safe mode on my pc the f8 key will work... So I started checking the web and found how to make windows 10 go into safe mode...
  9. F8 - Safe Mode Won't Work on ASUS F555U Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    F8 - Safe Mode Won't Work on ASUS F555U Laptop: First off, if I've placed this post in the wrong sub-form in error, pls forgive me, and move it to proper one. I just couldn't figure out where a more suitable location would be. I've got an ASUS F555UA and for whatever reason I'm unable to get F8 - SafeMode to work. I...
  10. Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?: I ran into a problem installing Win10 on my laptop (I posted about it here). I got into an endless reboot cycle where Win would go to desktop but no taskbar/apps worked and a popup message left me no choice but to reboot again. I needed to get to Safe Mode to fix this. I had...