Windows 10: Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently under went the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now find I can't read a BitLocker encrypted USB. Windows file explorer does... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WhiteBeard, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

I recently under went the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now find I can't read a BitLocker encrypted USB. Windows file explorer does not recognise the drive and there is no where I can enter the password. Can anybody help.
    Many thanks

:)

WhiteBeard, Sep 2, 2015
  2. HELPBOOT Win User

How to Turn On BitLocker in Windows 10 Home?

As you said, Windows 10 Home can read BitLocker partitions but cannot encrypt partitions. Is there any Third-party software that can encrypt partitions with BitLocker?

HELPBOOT, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Bitlocker on Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home edition does not support BitLocker Drive Encryption in that it cannot encrypt any storage device, however, good news, it can read and write encrypted USB memories, encrypted
    external hard drives AND ALSO encrypted micro SD cards. For instance, I have a
    RCA W101 V2 "cambio" tablet
    with Windows 10 Home edition (a great device and a great value! --sometimes, less than $100) and BitLocker works flawlessly, as indicated.

Gruffydd_Eugene, Sep 2, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

There was a similar problem upgrading to 8 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2748266 It isn't really applicable but you could have a look.

I'm not sure but I think that you should be able to unlock an external drive on Windows 10 home - just not use bitlocker for the OS drive.

Try starting the Bitlocker Drive Encryption Service if you have it under services.msc

Sorry I can't help too much as I have Pro version...

lx07, Sep 2, 2015
  5. Thanks for that, I tried starting Bitlocker Drive Encryption Service but just got " Windows could not start the BitLocker Drive Encryption Service on local computer"

WhiteBeard, Sep 2, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Did you have Windows 8.1 Pro before? If so then you should have Windows 10 Pro, which has Bitlocker.
    If not, then how did you unlock the file before?

I did a test with VMs running Windows 10 Pro and Home. I created a simulated USB disk on the Pro machine and can open it on the Home machine. But when I first created it, I set it up to unlock with a password; it may be harder if the original was set to unlock in a different way.

One of these tutorials over on SevenForums and EightForums might help?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ble-drive.html
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Edit: I think you may need the options in there that use the manage-bde commands. For instance what happens if you go to an elevated command prompt (right click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) and type?:
    Code: manage-bde -status[/quote]

DavidY, Sep 2, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    What would be interesting is to make an encrypted USB on 8.1 Pro VM and then try to unlock it on 10 home.

I could do this but as I don't have either set up as a VM it might (well actually definitely would) take me ages as I'd have to download ISO for both....

lx07, Sep 2, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

It's not quite the same but I just made a VHD, and encrypted on 8.1 Pro (which is my VM host machine at the moment).

Then detached the VHD from the host and it into my Win10 Home VM.

I get the 'Unlock Drive' option, and I can put in the password and access it in Win10 Home.

So for me at least it is working as you'd hope - although I'm using VHDs not real physical disks.

DavidY, Sep 2, 2015
  9. Thanks for that I will have a look at the other forums. Regarding your questions may sound daft but I don't know which Windows 8 was installed, just checked the disc and all it says is Win 8.1 64bit. With regard to using the USB I would open file explorer, select the drive letter, right click, and select the bitlocker open command then type in the password.
    Just typed in the code and it came back with "error: an attempt to access a required resource was denied. Check that you have administrative rights on the computer" The command prompt is C:\users\admin which I assume means I have administrative rights?
    Thanks for the help so far guys.

WhiteBeard, Sep 2, 2015
  10. I don't know what has happened but just tried again and it is now working!
    I haven't a clue unless something we did earlier decided to start working. If it is ok with you I will leave this thread open whilst I try it over the next day or so before signing the thread off as solved.
    Many many thanks for the help.

WhiteBeard, Sep 2, 2015
  11. DavidY Win User
    Glad you got it going.
    I could perhaps have explained the bit about opening an "elevated command prompt" better (I was in a hurry earlier).

For future reference, here is a Tutorial with a better explanation:
    Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 10

Another thought is that there may be something amiss with the USB drive itself (which might explain why it worked sometimes and not others) - do you have the contents backed-up elsewhere? If not it might be a good time to make a backup.

DavidY, Sep 2, 2015
  12. Hi, checked again this morning all working will now mark thread as solved.
    V. Many thanks for all your help, everything is backed up and using USB as "Briefcase"
    Apologies meant to mark this resolved.

WhiteBeard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Reading BitLocker Encrypted

2. How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home: HiTwo of my drives D and E are locked under bitlocker encryption. Everytime I login, I have to enter the encryption keys again which I get from my Recovery Keys panel on my Microsoft Account. How do I remove this encryption ?I dont have any bitlocker encryption setting in my...
  3. How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home: HiTwo of my drives D and E are locked under bitlocker encryption. Everytime I login, I have to enter the encryption keys again which I get from my Recovery Keys panel on my Microsoft Account. How do I remove this encryption ?I dont have any bitlocker encryption setting in my...
  4. How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using BITLOCKER on Windows 10 HOME to encrypt an USB FLASH

Using BITLOCKER on Windows 10 HOME to encrypt an USB FLASH: Just purchased BITLOCKER for Windows 10 HOME. What I bought it for was not to protect my LT but EXTERNAL HD that might be stolen, etc. BUT all it seems to want to do is protect my ROOT/internal drive. BITLOCKER appears to have NO SUPPORT for questions. My questions: If I...
  6. Disabling Bitlocker Encryption on Windows Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Bitlocker Encryption on Windows Home: Hello, I am trying to dual-boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 on my Dell G5 laptop and I currently cannot do this because I am getting a message from Ubuntu to turn off BitLocker encryption in order to install the Ubuntu OS. My laptop currently has Windows 10 Home, so I...
  7. Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives: Hello, my Windows 10 Home system does not recognize Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives anymore, while it still worked perfectly when I tried a few days ago. No problems on a Windows 10 Pro system, so there are ovviously no technical issues with the drives. The system...
  8. Encrypt USB drive to use in Windows 10 Home

Encrypt USB drive to use in Windows 10 Home: I have two pcs' that I use frequently, 1st is my main desktop with Windows 10 Home and local account and the 2nd is my laptop which I use less frequent with Windows 10 Pro with local account too, non of my pcs' have a Microsoft Account to sign in. My question is if I encrypt...
  9. Bitlocker Encryption in Windows 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker Encryption in Windows 10 Home Edition: Dear Sir, I have bought a new HP Laptop with the default edition of Windows 10 Home and i would like to Encrypt my hard disk with the bit locker but i couldn't see any bit locker encryption option in control panel. How can I solve this Problem ?? Kindly advise on this if...
  10. Bitlocker: Encrypted USB no access

Bitlocker: Encrypted USB no access: Hello, I have a usb that has been encrypted using bitlocker, I can connect this usb to my desktop and I can input the password and access the usb. However on my laptop and other computers, when I plug in the usb I do not get the prompt to input my password and instead just...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB2748266

2. can I read an encrypted usb on Windows 10 Home edition?

3. win10 home bitlocker read

4. windows 10 home read bitlocker,
  5. windows 10 home bitlocker read,
  6. what happend when you attach a bitlocker usb to window 10 home,
  7. reading a bitlocker usb windows 10 home,
  8. how to read bitlocker encrypt usb on windows 10 home