Windows 10: Ready to upgrade but driver concerns

Discus and support Ready to upgrade but driver concerns in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi 1st off I would do a complete backup of your OS Before upgrading to Windows 10. I suggest using Macrium Reflect Free version, and keep this image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by safe01, Apr 20, 2016.

1. safe01 Win User

Ready to upgrade but driver concerns

Apologies for the simple question, but I have an external hard drive with plenty of space but it also has a lot of valuable files on it. If I use this drive to backup with Macrium Reflect, does it reformat the drive and delete these valuable files or can they be retained?

safe01, Apr 24, 2016
  2. dalchina New Member

Disk imaging programs will let you create a folder and name the file created which will contain your image. Other files and folders are untouched.

A very useful trick is to plug in your external drive, run diskmgmt.msc, apply a drive letter like R (late in the alphabet) to your external drive.

Next time you plug it in, it will be R.
    That way the path always matches your backup settings in the imaging program, making life easier.

Macrium Reflect allows you to manage how many backups you keep for a given disk or partition, controlling the space used. You may prefer to do a system image for Windows, and image data partitions or disks separately.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    Macrium Reflect will not reformat your external drive safe01 *Smile It will just make an image file of your Windows OS and place the file anywhere you tell it too. Your external drive is a excellent choice. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 24, 2016
  4. safe01 Win User

Again, thanks for the replies. Glad to hear those files won't get deleted. Still haven't decided what to do yet but if I have any problems I'll report back.

safe01, Apr 24, 2016
  5. msny Win User
    By 2020 98% of the tech heads on this forum will have moved on to another system.
    It's the nature of technology.

6. jnash Win User
    Hi Bob,
    I read that you were able to upgrade a CQ50 to Windows10. My setup sounds just like yours. I can never get a successful upgrade to 10 though. Last night it got to 99% install so I left it and went to bed and this morning it was rebooted back to Win7 64bit.
    Do you recall what steps you had to take in order to complete the win10 install on a CQ50? Thanks. -Jim.

jnash, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ready to upgrade but driver concerns - Similar Threads - Ready upgrade driver

2. Concern

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Concern: What's this, I don't know what this is. Do you guys have this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/concern/ef58477e-4da3-4439-93c9-312ec928d8f5
  3. Intel RST driver concern

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel RST driver concern: An Intel RST driver already downloaded through WU on my desktop with a Z370 chipset. Device Manager nags with a pop up message that Intel 300 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller is ready to install the driver A probable cause for raised concern was found on Win-Raid : this...
  4. Multiple Home PCs - Upgrading Concerns

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Multiple Home PCs - Upgrading Concerns: Here's my issue. I have 2 xbox, and 3 gaming PC, and two previous PCs that I reformatted the hard drives on I realize now that was a mistake before getting the license codes one was a Win10PRO and one was a Win10HOME and throwing away the PCs. I have 1 active PC...
  5. Nvidia display drivers ready to install

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia display drivers ready to install: I have just checked for updates on my IP beta W10 and Nvidia display drivers are ready to install. There seems to be no option to reject them. Trouble is, this pc is running its graphics off the Athlon 3000G processor. What is Microsoft up to? *Eek 162844
  6. Upgrade Readiness Script

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Readiness Script: Hello, We are currently piloting the upgrade readiness script (Please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/upgrade-readiness-deployment-script#running-the-script). In the above link it says, "Do not run the script at each sign-on. It is...
  7. AMD Installer- new driver downloaded ready to install. click upgrade?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Installer- new driver downloaded ready to install. click upgrade?: AMD Installer - pop up reports "New driver downloaded and ready to install. Click Upgrade to continue." I want to know if it is safe to do so. 70776
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 with driver concerns

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Windows 10 with driver concerns: Greetings, I want to start by thanking the many helpful people here. I'm still new to Windows and so it's hard for me to help most people. But I'm learning and I try to help here or there on this site. I recently purchased a Voyo V1 Mini PC. This is a little (sexy?)...
  9. Announcing general availability of Upgrade Readiness

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing general availability of Upgrade Readiness: We are pleased to announce the general availability of Upgrade Readiness, one of the solutions in the suite of solutions called Windows Analytics. Upgrade Readiness helps you plan and manage the Windows upgrade process from beginning to end and enables you adopt new Windows...
  10. Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10: I 'm considering the Windows 10 upgrade on my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Windows 7 Pro and 4 GB ram , but I'm concerned about several issues including whether the laptop is even compatible with W10. I'm on a data cap plan with my isp so W10 update sizes are also a...