Windows 10: Readyboost

Discus and support Readyboost in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've seen the Readyboost option on windows 7 with a usb drive. Is there a similar option that would allow me to use a spare internal 2tb HDD? Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gettheclicker, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Readyboost

I've seen the Readyboost option on windows 7 with a usb drive.

Is there a similar option that would allow me to use a spare internal 2tb HDD?

Is it even possible to boost performance starting out with a freshly formatted Hard Drive I've no use for?

:)

gettheclicker, Dec 16, 2017

2. ReadyBoost issue (windows 10 home)

Readyboost can only work with SD cards that are able to handle NAND. If you get the above message you cannot use that card for readyboost.

ReadyBoost - Wikipedia

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 16, 2017
  3. Readyboost

You have 16GB of RAM; Readyboost will not provide any performance benefit. Readyboost was designed to aid systems with limited memory. If you have an SSD in your PC, it will not be possible to enable Readyboost.

Alan Russell, Dec 16, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Readyboost

ReadyBoost enables NAND memory mass storage devices, including CompactFlash, SD cards, and USB flash drives, to be used as a write cache between a hard drive and random access memory in an effort to increase computing performance. Physical disks cannot be used for this purpose, sorry. *Nerd

dmholt57, Dec 16, 2017
  5. You could use a hard drive, but you wouldn't want to. The reason Microsoft spoke about using a flash drive is because it uses flash memory. ReadyBoost was a neat original Windows 7 feature, but not something that you should be using a 2TB hard drive for.

Masterchiefxx17, Dec 16, 2017
  6. Well it's an empty drive not particularly fast. Not an SSHD as the other two are.

Could there be alternative uses for it that may give me some kind of performance increase?

7. dmholt57 Win User
    I would put all my music, pictures on it so my OS drive wouldn't be scanning through them... *Nerd

dmholt57, Dec 16, 2017
  8. Readyboost

Those are on the second hard drive. The OS hard drive was split into 2 partitions. Out of 2tb, 500g is the OS and 1.5tb is for games.

9. In you specs.

With 32 gigs of ram I see no way ReadyBoost would help you.

Please read. It will help you understand things better.

https://www.winhelp.us/use-readyboos...sta-and-7.html

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 16, 2017
  10. I can't put my finger on it, my rig just doesn't seem as responsive as it used to. I know the simple solutions are get an SSD or fresh install and go from there but if there was some OTHER solution I would give that a try first.

11. LMiller7 Win User
    ReadyBoost is a form of cache. A fundamental principle of any kind of cache is that it must be faster than the media being cached. A conventional drive, no matter how large, does not meet this requirement. A flash drive usually has slower transfer rate but has a much better seek time and thus it does qualify.

However, with 32 GB RAM you have more than plenty of RAM for caching purposes and ReadyBoost would impair performance if it were used. ReadyBoost is primarily useful with limited RAM, 2 GB or less.

Having 32 GB RAM in a system without an SSD is a waste. An SSD will do more for performance than anything else you could do. In most cases 8 GB RAM with an SSD would perform better.

LMiller7, Dec 17, 2017
  12. Yep, a ssd would do wonders.

I have only used ssd's for the last 3 years or so.
    I like them so much I got 7 of them.

Never go computing without ssd's.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 17, 2017
  13. Readyboost

You could always open it up and make a hard drive clock *chuckle.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Readyboost

1. Readyboost - Similar Threads - Readyboost

2. Readyboost doesn't show

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Readyboost doesn't show: I am running a ThinkPad X201 Tablet. Sysmain is enabled and it used to run Win7. Somehow ReadyBoost doesn't show. I also only have 2GB of RAM. Help me, Microsoft! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/readyboost-doesnt-show/4ef720d6-c368-4910-bd0d-8e63bc957af7
  3. Readyboost doesn't show

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Readyboost doesn't show: I am running a ThinkPad X201 Tablet. Sysmain is enabled and it used to run Win7. Somehow ReadyBoost doesn't show. I also only have 2GB of RAM. Help me, Microsoft! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/readyboost-doesnt-show/4ef720d6-c368-4910-bd0d-8e63bc957af7
  4. Readyboost doesn't show

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. how to fix ReadyBoost using flash drive with windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix ReadyBoost using flash drive with windows 11: how do i turn on ReadyBoost my hp desktop says ReadyBoost can not be used because my desktop is storge fast but its not fast storge is red that means almost full and the USB flash drive is new there was nothing on it how do i fix this problem with ReadyBoost i am trying use a...
  6. how to fix ReadyBoost using flash drive with windows 11

how to fix ReadyBoost using flash drive with windows 11: how do i turn on ReadyBoost my hp desktop says ReadyBoost can not be used because my desktop is storge fast but its not fast storge is red that means almost full and the USB flash drive is new there was nothing on it how do i fix this problem with ReadyBoost i am trying use a...
  7. I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost: I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost on Win11 PC.PC has hard drive and attempting to use USB drive for ReadyBoost. SysMain is running.See specifications below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-enable-readyboost/82dbe539-e594-42b7-93bc-60f6af1e6c5e
  8. I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost

I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost: I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost on Win11 PC.PC has hard drive and attempting to use USB drive for ReadyBoost. SysMain is running.See specifications below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-enable-readyboost/82dbe539-e594-42b7-93bc-60f6af1e6c5e
  9. No readyboost functionality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No readyboost functionality: Hello,After installing windows 11 23h2 and Atlas OS on a low power pc, I wanted to add fake ram memory with readyboost. But it doesn't work, the readyboost window has disappeared from the properties.If anyone knows how to solve my problem....
  10. No readyboost functionality

No readyboost functionality: Hello,After installing windows 11 23h2 and Atlas OS on a low power pc, I wanted to add fake ram memory with readyboost. But it doesn't work, the readyboost window has disappeared from the properties.If anyone knows how to solve my problem....